FB: New York State Bowl

Started by Bartman, November 01, 2017, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 02, 2017, 01:23:20 PM
I mean, my stance is that the venn diagram for people who truly care about these things is pretty much the same regardless of the matchup.

I have a well-documented bias against familiarity. Seeing new teams is fun. Seeing endless E8/LL matchups is less fun.
Ah yes, the Venn diagram of D3 football enthusiasts...Bombers,you are probably right...for this year, I would just be happy for Hobart to selfishly play one more game at home, and to play someone like Alfred or Cortland , although I'd really like to avenge the Brockport game....I also have a great curiosity when it comes to the E8 and the LL and how they would stack up against the MASCAC , MAC or the NJAC....because who knows if Wesley and Frosty are really that good or if the 1 loss MASCAC teams even compare to a 2 loss teams in the E8/LL or even 3 loss Hobart, for that matter......we can only speculate as the E8 and LL do seem to dance together mostly in season.....maybe the ECAC's could be interesting matchups....but Delaware...kinda far....I don't think Hobart will sign up for them if it involves an overnight from a budget perspective, so the NYS Bowl is preferred
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

AUPepBand

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 02, 2017, 01:45:57 PM
Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 02, 2017, 01:39:14 PM
Agreed.
Then if we are still in this make believe scenario, lets choose the NJAC

Get ole Frosty or SU back.
Hell- Id like to see Wesley!

I would have liked that too. However, I think we are staying in the ECACs. I did like playing the E 8 schools, but those trips were fairly long. We did have quite a bit of success and I am sure it help the program prestige and respect. Can't remember why Wesley wasn't invited along with Salisbury and Frostburg.

Definitely a bias against all things Delaware....Pep remembers a conversation with Coach Murray when he said Frosty and Sally were joining the E8. Wesley wanted in, too, but E8 didn't want all three.

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

AUPepBand

Quote from: UfanBill on November 02, 2017, 02:28:08 PM
Agreed.

I would have liked that too. However, I think we are staying in the ECACs. I did like playing the E 8 schools, but those trips were fairly long. We did have quite a bit of success and I am sure it help the program prestige and respect. Can't remember why Wesley wasn't invited along with Salisbury and Frostburg.
Seriously??? Frostburg and Salisbury are right where they belong, in the NJAC. Remember Cortland, Brockport, Buff St. and Morrisville were inexplicably in the NJAC for a period of time. Salisbury has played Union three times. First in a 1983 NCAA game in Maryland won by the Dutchmen (I was there). Then they had a short home and home in 2009 & 2010. The Seagulls won 19-16 and then came north to beat up Union 52-21 during Union's first losing season in 28 years. . This was when you were searching for a league affiliation. The next year you very successfully joined the E8. An occasional game against the NJAC powers OK...bringing them back north, NO WAY!

The conversation was visiting the thought of a post-season game matching up E8 with our old friends from Maryland now in the NJAC, much like E8/LL New York State Bowl. No one's suggesting they return to the E8.

fisheralum91

bill- in NO way do I want em back in the E8

guests of the state perhaps ;D

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: AUPepBand on November 02, 2017, 02:53:07 PM
Quote from: UfanBill on November 02, 2017, 02:28:08 PM
Agreed.

Seriously??? Frostburg and Salisbury are right where they belong, in the NJAC. Remember Cortland, Brockport, Buff St. and Morrisville were inexplicably in the NJAC for a period of time. Salisbury has played Union three times. First in a 1983 NCAA game in Maryland won by the Dutchmen (I was there). Then they had a short home and home in 2009 & 2010. The Seagulls won 19-16 and then came north to beat up Union 52-21 during Union's first losing season in 28 years. . This was when you were searching for a league affiliation. The next year you very successfully joined the E8. An occasional game against the NJAC powers OK...bringing them back north, NO WAY!

The conversation was visiting the thought of a post-season game matching up E8 with our old friends from Maryland now in the NJAC, much like E8/LL New York State Bowl. No one's suggesting they return to the E8.

No, I completely understand. I would welcome an E8 vs. NJAC type of affair or LL vs. NJAC affair. I think my last sentence sort of was too vague. I was inquiring as to when Frostburg and Salisbury were in the E 8, Wesley was never invited. I think NJAC is a perfect fit for our schools as we have a good conglomerate of students from NJAC country.

UFAN, I remember when Brockport and Buff State were in the ACFC, those were the days. Regarding the 1983 game, I was not there, but I heard the game was entertaining.

Oline89

Quote from: Bartman on November 02, 2017, 09:32:29 AM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 02, 2017, 09:24:14 AM
I think the issues present with this game are just going to exist no matter what you do:

1. Teams can opt out, which is never a good look
2. The two conferences play too many games against each other in the regular season, which kills the novelty angle
3. The game's premise—a postseason game where the year ends even if you win it—really only appeals to diehard fans (like us).
Bombers,
I wasn't sure  how to reply to your post......1. Good and realistic points ....or 2. Every party has a pooper....
and I decided, it depends if Hobart makes it to the NYS/Empire/Liberty Bowl...and , hey ,so I am a die-hard...you got a problem with that? 8-)

First of all, I can't imagine there are many players at this level that wouldn't want to play one more game (giving seniors a chance to wear the uniform one more game, priceless!).  Secondly, having a post season bowl game has now made these last 2 games actually mean something for teams that are already eliminated from the   NCAA's  (ie Hobart).  This is great for players and fans alike.  Finally, tradition is a sacred thing in sports, why not try to cultivate this game, perhaps it can grow into something special.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Oline79 on November 02, 2017, 04:06:41 PM

First of all, I can't imagine there are many players at this level that wouldn't want to play one more game (giving seniors a chance to wear the uniform one more game, priceless!). 

I'd agree with this sentiment, but we've seen schools decline to participate in ECAC games when eligible. Now, these decisions may be getting made at a level above players, but there doesn't always seem to be 100 percent support for this stuff.

fisheralum91

Hey its the new star of the boards---
Good stuff Bombers- well done on quick hits!

Bombers798891

cstate19

First time checking in all year. Catching up and want to make sure I have this right. RPai wins and they are in, which guarantees a Cortaca V2.0?

Call me crazy but I LOVE the idea of a Cortaca II. Rematch is great for the players and would allow alumni and fans a chance to go without most of the drunken nonsense.

AUPepBand

Quote from: cstate19 on November 05, 2017, 07:50:11 PM
First time checking in all year. Catching up and want to make sure I have this right. RPai wins and they are in, which guarantees a Cortaca V2.0?

Call me crazy but I LOVE the idea of a Cortaca II. Rematch is great for the players and would allow alumni and fans a chance to go without most of the drunken nonsense.

So, an RPI win over Union gives Ithaca second place and acting as host for New York State Bowl 2017.

Let's say Bombers win Cortaca, breaking a seven-year jinx. Do you really think they'd want Cortland to return the very next week for a grudge match?

Now, if for some reason Cortland wins...Pep can see the Bombers saying, "Bring 'em back here and give us another shot at slaying them #$@*( Dragons!!

Is it possible for either team to decline the bowl game?

Bombers798891

Quote from: AUPepBand on November 05, 2017, 09:04:31 PM

So, an RPI win over Union gives Ithaca second place and acting as host for New York State Bowl 2017.

Let's say Bombers win Cortaca, breaking a seven-year jinx. Do you really think they'd want Cortland to return the very next week for a grudge match?

Now, if for some reason Cortland wins...Pep can see the Bombers saying, "Bring 'em back here and give us another shot at slaying them #$@*( Dragons!!

Declining the game is an option for any participants. No word on if that will happen

fisheralum91

Bombers- If you knew that the game would be a repeat of Cortaca would you decline if you were IC?

Bartman

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 06, 2017, 08:45:57 AM
Quote from: AUPepBand on November 05, 2017, 09:04:31 PM

Declining the game is an option for any participants. No word on if that will happen
I would love Hobart to get into the NYS Bowl, but no chance unless 2 LL teams pass on it, then that would be embarrassing....Ithaca has had a successful season no matter what happens......very jealous :o
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

fisheralum91

New coach- new system-and IC is back at it.
This turnaround is eye opening- Tho I do miss them in the E8
Salisbury not so much ;D