Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOPEful

Ugh, after that overtime debacle... I should learn to stay quiet.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

sac

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 26, 2014, 07:52:03 PM
Quote from: sethteater on February 26, 2014, 02:45:04 PM
Randolph-Macon lost 4 of their first 8. They are 14-1 in 2013 and sit at #13 in the country (d3hoops) and #1 in the south (ncaa)... Hope lost 5 of their first 8, to better opponents, then went 16-1, and are #2 in the GL. And they don't belong in the top 25 or in at least the conversation to host? That doesn't make sense to me.

Conference.  Conference.  Conference.

The MIAA is two teams (and Albion once a decade).  The ODAC is rough; their top end is down this year, but the parity is as high as always.

Plus, RMC beat a few of the good teams they played non-conference.  Hope had the misfortune of scheduling really, really, really good teams this year (as opposed to really good ones), but wins speak louder than good loses (even if good loses aren't silent).

I have no doubt both teams are improving as the season goes along, but there's way, way more evidence to back an RMC vote.  A lot of times it doesn't come down to which team I think is better, but which team's case I can more easily defend.

It may be that way for some people, but I'd stack Hope and Calvin's tournament success over the last 2 1/2 decades against any conference and be very comfortable with what they've accomplished.  They are capable of competing outside their conference just fine.

You'll get no argument from me that the league has been down for the last 5 or 6 years and I'd even include Hope and Calvin in that statement.   But I've watched enough of this league to know whoever comes out of it can stack up just fine with their peers in D3, sometimes even better than I think.

sac

Quote from: sethteater on February 26, 2014, 09:58:49 PM

Survive and advance is all the post-season is about.  Hope showed great poise tonight, lesser teams lose that game.

iwumichigander

Quote from: sac on February 26, 2014, 10:02:58 PM
Quote from: sethteater on February 26, 2014, 09:58:49 PM

Survive and advance is all the post-season is about.  Hope showed great poise tonight, lesser teams lose that game.
Trine put Hope on the line too often in 2nd half with Hope making the freebies with the clock off to get to OT.

IMHO sethteater, the argument for Hope needs to be framed within their vRRO games against the current Top 25 (#s 1,2 & 4) and current regional ranked teams Midwest #2 IWU, #3 Wheaton, #6 Carthage, West #1 UW-SP, #2 UW-WW

HOPEful

"Survive and advance is all the post-season is about.  Hope showed great poise tonight, lesser teams lose that game."

Agreed sac! My ugh comment was more of a 1.) sigh of relief they pulled off a victory and 2.) A sigh of confusion to what I saw in the first half...

The first half they seemed transparent and one dimensional, forcing the ball down low every possesion. The second half was a poised and gritty effort with much better ball movement and shot selection. 

iwumichigander, I agree that Trine put Hope on the line too often. But Hope center, a not much better than 50% free throw shooter, made 2 clutch free throws to tie the game late in the second half. I think Trine took their foot off the gas a little to early, milking the clock and trying to get the game done with... All in all, it was an incredible effort by Trine and their freshman, Will Dixon, could be really special...
Let's go Dutchmen!

HOPEful

Quote from: Just Bill on February 25, 2014, 01:22:29 PM
This Hope game in particular gives me pause, when I think about their credentials...

http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/mbkb/2013-14/boxscores/20140104_z46o.xml?view=plays

That's the 7th place team from the NACC, which is far, far from a power conference, going on the road and being tied with Hope with 3 minutes to play. A few made free throws for Edgewood down the stretch and that's a damaging loss.

Yes, they won, but that's not exactly a banner-waving win.

Edgewood is one game (@Marion on Saturday) from the playoffs themselves...
Let's go Dutchmen!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

If anyone is still holding onto Cabrini stock... sell.  Sell, sell, sell!
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

... and buy Mary Washington stock with the proceeds, presumably?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 29, 2014, 10:56:06 PM
... and buy Mary Washington stock with the proceeds, presumably?

I don't know.  Their valuation is pretty high right now - it's probably a safe bet for steady gains, but I don't see it as a big splash.

mailsy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on April 29, 2014, 10:09:25 PM

Yeah thanks and I can't get out of it. Darn broker!!!  ;D
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

magicman

Quote from: mailsy on April 30, 2014, 10:38:23 AM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on April 29, 2014, 10:09:25 PM

Yeah thanks and I can't get out of it. Darn broker!!!  ;D

The question is...what will the status be of their #1 asset. Will this asset be transferred to another company? A company with the stock symbol MW. If that happens it will really trigger a selling spree of Cabrini stock.

Pat Coleman

Depending on who Cabrini hires (and Aaron Walton-Moss' first-semester status), Cabrini will still be better than Mary Washington next year, I'd say. But by 2015-16 that will flip.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah... UMW lost a LOT from last year's team... Cabrini lost some, but AWM makes up for a lot.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 30, 2014, 05:12:25 PM
Depending on who Cabrini hires (and Aaron Walton-Moss' first-semester status), Cabrini will still be better than Mary Washington next year, I'd say. But by 2015-16 that will flip.

It may actually work out better for Cabrini in the short term if they get somebody in who can figure out what to do with Walls.  I've never seen a player so completely change the dynamics of a team.  They were night and day from the beginning to the end of the season and not in a good way.

I think it's tough to say adding a player of Walls' caliber hurts you, but they were not playing Kahn basketball in the tournament.  Bringing in a new system better suited to the players on the floor could help Cabrini next year - after that, well, tough going.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell