MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OxyBob

Quote from: Gray Fox on January 07, 2019, 07:58:23 PM
Latest D3 Top 25 has Pomona at 23 and Oxy five place from the top 25.

Pomona escaped defeat at Whittier. The Sagehens won 77-75 on Micah Elan's jumper with 3 seconds to go.

Oxy took its first loss of the season, falling to Claremont 63-60.

SCIAC scores:

Caltech 52 La Verne 51
Redlands 77 Cal Lutheran 65
Claremont 63 Oxy 60
Pomona-Pitzer 77 Whittier 75

Saturday's schedule:

Cal Lutheran (3-9, 1-3 SCIAC) @ Oxy (13-1, 4-1) 4:00 p.m.
Chapman (6-7, 2-2) @ Pomona (13-1, 5-0) 4:00 p.m.
Claremont (9-4, 3-1) @ La Verne (1-11, 0-4) 4:00 p.m.    
Caltech (7-6, 1-3) @ Whittier (5-9, 2-3) 7:00 p.m.

OxyBob

stag44

Great set of games last night in the SCIAC

CMS 63 Oxy 60
CMS knocked off Oxy on the road, handing Oxy their first loss of the year. The first half had about a 13-14 minute stretch with no dead balls and stoppages which was something I'm not sure I've ever seen. It was during that stretch that CMS took control of the game as Oxy's defensive intensity slowed and the Stags were able to dictate things on the offensive end with their motion. CMS went up by 11 going into the half on a 3 pointer by Miles President. In the 2nd half the teams went back and forth for the first few minutes and then the Oxy offense started to find its rhythm. They were able to put pressure on the CMS defense and were getting to the rim as Baines, Dewitz, Adler, and Kaneshiro all got going. The game was tied and JD Levine hit a 3 for the Stags that gave them the breathing room they needed. Segura and Sui both hit a pair of free throws at the end of the game as Oxy hit 2 3s with time running down to keep it interesting. In a well designed play Oxy had a look to send the game to OT, but came up short and took the loss. Both teams played well and it was a high quality defensive game. The coaches are obviously so familiar with each other and even closer with Mike Wells who basically grew up at Ducey Gym being the assistant at Oxy.

PP defeats Whittier in a great game. Whittier seems to always play Pomona tough and this was no different. Elan's finish at the end of the game sealed it and kept PP undefeated in conference.

Caltech hit 2 3s in the last minute of the game to come back from 5 down and beat ULV.

Should be a good slate on Saturday as well!

OxyBob

Quote from: stag44 on January 10, 2019, 09:39:49 PM
Should be a good slate on Saturday as well!

Saturday's scores:

Oxy 84 Cal Lutheran 64
Pomona 71 Chapman 58
Claremont 60 La Verne 57
Whittier 83 Caltech 82

Monday's schedule, all games 7:00 p.m.:

Chapman (6-8, 2-3 SCIAC) @ La Verne (1-12, 0-5)
Cal Lutheran (3-10, 1-4) @ Claremont (10-4, 4-1)
Caltech (7-7, 1-4) @ Redlands (7-7, 2-3)
Oxy (14-1, 5-1) @ Pomona (14-1, 6-0)

OxyBob

D O.C.

Hmmm.... does O.B. drive to Pomona in the rain on the 101>134>210 at rush hour?
No! He's there already in the library working!

Gray Fox

Pomona is 19th in this weeks poll.
Oxy still has a "others" mention but not many votes.  Maybe OB should just keep reading during tonight's game.

Fierce When Roused

D O.C.

Cal Tech and Redlands have about the same record? Amazing

greg21grimm

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 04, 2019, 03:01:55 PM
Quote from: greg21grimm on January 04, 2019, 12:52:17 PM
Quote from: socalcoach on January 02, 2019, 11:36:01 PM
I think Cal Lutheran looked at a program that has had very little success. 2 NCAA appearances in 22 years and only 3 SCIAC titles in 22 years and said we need to do something different to make the program better. That job is a complete rebuild and will take 4 years to get it to be respectable again.
Socalcoach, I could agree that CLU may not have been a "championship" team year in and year out, but to call it a "complete rebuild" and WAS not respectable, you are completely off base. Remember they did have 20 wins and ranked in the region. That was the top 11% (45/416) of all D3 programs by record. The SCIAC is much tougher than people give it credit. My Senior year, we were tied for 3rd in the SCIAC, and we beat 4 or 5 NCAA tourney teams during the year. Redlands (SCIAC champs), Chapman (only SCIAC loss), Luther, Concordia Wis, and Hobart.

Four. Hobart didn't make the field that season, although the Statesmen did finish with a fine 21-7 record in 2010-11 and they made the tourney the three seasons after that. But the four D3 tourney teams that Cal Lutheran beat -- three automatic-bid winners from lightly-regarded conferences plus Pool B entrant Chapman -- were cannon fodder in the 2011 tourney. The four teams played each other in the first round, with Chapman bouncing Redlands and Luther eliminating Concordia (WI), and then in the second round Whitworth knocked out Chapman by 14 and UWSP crunched Luther by 20.

Chapman did get the satisfaction of being ranked #16 in the final d3hoops.com poll that season, while Concordia (WI) (12 points) and Luther (1 point) were in the Others Receiving Votes category.

I am glad you can so easily diminish the success of a team making the national tournament. Especially when only 64 make it out of 400+ schools. And Hobart was the school I wasn't sure about (why I said 4 or 5). I knew they had a good team/record, but not sure of the tournament bid.

Quote from: socalcoach on January 04, 2019, 07:58:03 PM
If you look back what was left was mostly 1-2 year transfers not sustainable to build a long term winning program. Look at the top SCIAC teams they are built from strong recruiting classes that looks like had been missing for years. Going to need 2-3 strong freshman classes to get the program back on track and that is "rebuild". If 4 years from now they are losing by 40 to the stronger teams and aren't competing at the levels of the Pomona/CMS teams then I think you can have strong judgement. I think any alum should look at it and say that the previous 22 years were just "ok" and should want the program to be elite like Cal Lutheran seems to be in other sports.

But looked like a solid win over Cal Tech who is much improved this year overall!

I needed to do some research and really watch CLU this past week before responding.  I would agree that "STRONG' recruiting classes are needed to "sustain" a program. But looking at what was left it seemed like CLU had some really good players returning to build around. With that 2017-18 team, you had 4 starters (3 sophomores) coming back, 5 that had started, at some time, the year before. This year it looks like the coaching staff (YOU) brought in 12-14 new players, however, only 2 start, and those are the only new players that get ANY time. With CLU losing 50 ppg in graduation this year, interesting to see the sustainability for years to come. 3-11 is not a good sign.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: greg21grimm on January 15, 2019, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 04, 2019, 03:01:55 PM
Quote from: greg21grimm on January 04, 2019, 12:52:17 PM
Quote from: socalcoach on January 02, 2019, 11:36:01 PM
I think Cal Lutheran looked at a program that has had very little success. 2 NCAA appearances in 22 years and only 3 SCIAC titles in 22 years and said we need to do something different to make the program better. That job is a complete rebuild and will take 4 years to get it to be respectable again.
Socalcoach, I could agree that CLU may not have been a "championship" team year in and year out, but to call it a "complete rebuild" and WAS not respectable, you are completely off base. Remember they did have 20 wins and ranked in the region. That was the top 11% (45/416) of all D3 programs by record. The SCIAC is much tougher than people give it credit. My Senior year, we were tied for 3rd in the SCIAC, and we beat 4 or 5 NCAA tourney teams during the year. Redlands (SCIAC champs), Chapman (only SCIAC loss), Luther, Concordia Wis, and Hobart.

Four. Hobart didn't make the field that season, although the Statesmen did finish with a fine 21-7 record in 2010-11 and they made the tourney the three seasons after that. But the four D3 tourney teams that Cal Lutheran beat -- three automatic-bid winners from lightly-regarded conferences plus Pool B entrant Chapman -- were cannon fodder in the 2011 tourney. The four teams played each other in the first round, with Chapman bouncing Redlands and Luther eliminating Concordia (WI), and then in the second round Whitworth knocked out Chapman by 14 and UWSP crunched Luther by 20.

Chapman did get the satisfaction of being ranked #16 in the final d3hoops.com poll that season, while Concordia (WI) (12 points) and Luther (1 point) were in the Others Receiving Votes category.

I am glad you can so easily diminish the success of a team making the national tournament. Especially when only 64 make it out of 400+ schools. And Hobart was the school I wasn't sure about (why I said 4 or 5). I knew they had a good team/record, but not sure of the tournament bid.

I'm not "easily diminishing" anything. Any time that a program reaches the tourney it's a significant achievement, regardless of the program or the league that it's in. I'm simply offering perspective, given that you're making comparisons here ("top 11% of all D3 programs by record" and "we beat 4 or 5 NCAA tourney teams") that have a national basis. Yes, only 64 teams make the tourney out of 428, but those 64 are not necessarily peers in terms of ability. In fact, they're not the top 64 teams in the nation in terms of ability, because the NCAA doesn't design tournaments that way in any of its three divisions; it emphasizes equal accesss first and foremost, which is why every member league gets an automatic bid. And that's the way that it should be, really, since each school (and therefore each league) pays into the national organization, which in turn put on the national tournaments.

I knew that you weren't sure about Hobart, which is why I clarified that, although the Statesmen had a really good record that year, they didn't quite make the tourney.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

OxyBob

Quote from: OxyBob on January 13, 2019, 06:24:32 PM
Monday's schedule, all games 7:00 p.m.:

Chapman (6-8, 2-3 SCIAC) @ La Verne (1-12, 0-5)
Cal Lutheran (3-10, 1-4) @ Claremont (10-4, 4-1)
Caltech (7-7, 1-4) @ Redlands (7-7, 2-3)
Oxy (14-1, 5-1) @ Pomona (14-1, 6-0)

Chapman 71 La Verne 60
Claremont 75 Cal Lutheran 53
Redlands 63 Caltech 52
Pomona 70 Oxy 65

Zach Baines gave Oxy the lead 65-64 with 1:50 to go, but Adam Rees responded with a 3-ball, and Pomona went on to beat Oxy 70-65.
Chapman lead by double digits most of the way in its win over La Verne.
Claremont had no trouble with CLU.
Redlands took control of the game with about 7 minutes to go, and the Bulldogs pulled away from Caltech.

Wednesday's schedule, all games 7:00 p.m.:

Caltech (7-8, 1-5 SCIAC) @ Chapman (7-8, 3-3)
Cal Lutheran (3-11, 1-5) @ La Verne (1-13, 0-6)
Oxy (14-2, 5-2) @ Redlands (8-7, 3-3)
Whittier (6-9, 3-3) @ Claremont (11-4, 5-1)

Pomona (15-1, 7-0) is idle.

OxyBob

D O.C.

OxyBob

Quote from: D O.C. on January 17, 2019, 01:04:03 AM
So now Occidental is going to go into a tailspin?

Possibly. Last night Oxy lost to Redlands 101-97. The Tigers have lost 2 straight and 3 of its last 4. For UR, Joey Sponheim scored 40 and David Menary had 33. For Oxy, Zach Baines scored 34 and Austin DeWitz had 21.

Wednesday night's finals:

Redlands 101 Oxy 97
Caltech 63 Chapman 51 -- Caltech's first road win over Chapman since 1953.
Cal Lutheran 71 La Verne 62
Claremont 81 Whittier 55

Saturday's games:

Claremont (12-4, 6-1 SCIAC) @ Chapman (7-9, 3-4) 4:00 p.m.
Whittier (6-10, 3-4) @ Cal Lutheran (4-11, 2-5) 4:00 p.m.
Redlands (9-7, 4-3) @ La Verne (1-14, 0-7) 4:00 p.m.
Pomona (15-1, 7-0) @ Caltech (8-8, 2-5) 7:30 p.m.

Oxy (14-3, 5-3) is idle. The Tigers could use a day off.

OxyBob

OxyBob

Saturday's finals:

Claremont 66 Chapman 57
Cal Lutheran 71 Whittier 70
Kyle Ferreira's half-court shot at the buzzer wins it for CLU. http://www.clusports.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20190119xt1pds
Redlands 83 La Verne 55
Pomona 93 Caltech 76

Wednesday's schedule, all games 7:00 p.m.:

Game of the Week! Claremont (13-4, 7-1) @ Pomona (16-1, 8-0)
Pomona beat Claremont 73-65 in their first matchup on December 6.
La Verne (1-15, 0-8 SCIAC) @ Oxy (14-3, 5-3)
Chapman (7-10, 3-5) @ Cal Lutheran (5-11, 3-5)
Redlands (10-7, 5-3) @ Whittier (6-11, 3-5)

Caltech (8-9, 2-6) is idle.

OxyBob

Gray Fox

Oxy helped Pomona move from 19 to 16 on the D3 poll.
Oxy still has one point, meaning one voter named them as 25th.
Fierce When Roused

stag44

Quote from: OxyBob on January 21, 2019, 02:09:41 PM
Game of the Week! Claremont (13-4, 7-1) @ Pomona (16-1, 8-0)
Pomona beat Claremont 73-65 in their first matchup on December 6.

I'm so excited for the game on Wednesday! Pomona is playing at an extremely high level now on both sides of the ball, particularly on offense where they have so many weapons. I think that is what makes them really special this year - on any given night Rosenbaum, Elan, Preston or Koch could go for 20, not to mention their high level role players. Defensively they play to their scouts well and their length causes issues. They create

For the Stags - it's been all about the defense. This year's team reminds me of the old-school Scali teams that are physical and defensive minded. Personally, I thought it was going to be a down year and it's clear in the games they have lost, it was the offensive side of the equation that let them down. In the prior meeting vs PP they had a 4-5 minute drought that allowed Pomona to create a healthy distance that they held for the rest of the game. The same happened vs Chicago, Whitman and PLU in their other losses. They are fueled by their depth where it seems like Scali is comfortable going 10 deep and not have much of a drop off in overall production of the team.

Pomona hasn't lost since early December and the Stags haven't lost in 2019 and both teams have won in a variety of ways. It's also the first week of class back for the students, so I expect the gym to be electric on Wednesday night as students will be amped and ready. It should be a spectacular game and I think that the Rosenbaum / Segura matchup showcases 2 of the most talented players in the league. Katz and Scali have been going at it for 20 years and this might be one of the better regular season matchups in terms of how hot each team is going into the game!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gray Fox on January 21, 2019, 04:31:01 PM
Oxy helped Pomona move from 19 to 16 on the D3 poll.
Oxy still has one point, meaning one voter named them as 25th.

I'd argue Oxy had nothing to do with this. It was more about the teams around Pomona and what they did (or didn't) do last week. There was a lot of movement in the poll on a lot of interesting results. If anything, the Oxy struggles right now aren't helping Pomona because I think voters are starting to think Oxy was more fluff than substance.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.