WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Looking forward to getting off the east coast of the Division III landscape and covering the games at Wartburg's sectional this weekend. If there are any fans from East Texas Baptist who want to stop by and say hello, please do.

ronk

Quote from: gordonmann on March 05, 2018, 04:37:35 PM
Looking forward to getting off the east coast of the Division III landscape and covering the games at Wartburg's sectional this weekend. If there are any fans from East Texas Baptist who want to stop by and say hello, please do.

The downside is that we're going to miss you in Scranton, but I understand in terms of providing national coverage.

mcmfan

How do you say "hello" through the video feed?   ;D
Alacumba!

mcmfan

ETBU beats St. Thomas in overtime!  The announcers on the video feed kept calling them the "Cinderella team."  They apparently couldn't believe a team from our lowly ASC could beat mighty St. Thomas.  Good luck in the next game tomorrow...
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

Congratulations to Coach Rainbolt and the ETBU Lady Tigers on their 61-58 OT win over #6 St Thomas in Wartburg IA.

Headed to the Elite 8 tomorrow against the winner of Trine versus Wartburg IA

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 09, 2018, 08:34:41 PM
Congratulations to Coach Rainbolt and the ETBU Lady Tigers on their 61-58 OT win over #6 St Thomas in Wartburg IA.

Headed to the Elite 8 tomorrow against the winner of Trine versus Wartburg IA

Very impressive win. Was impressed also with their poise down the stretch. Should be a fascinating game against Wartburg who rolled through Trine's defense better than any team I have seen this year.

Wartburg sent a message.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mcmfan

Note that Coach Rainbolt assisted at McMurry before moving on to Concordia and ETBU.  We're one big family in the ASC!
Alacumba!

mcmfan

Congratulations on a great game, ETBU, even though you couldn't pull off the upset.  You really gave the Knights a run for their money.
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mcmfan on March 10, 2018, 09:45:15 PM
Congratulations on a great game, ETBU, even though you couldn't pull off the upset.  You really gave the Knights a run for their money.
ETBU erases a 54-36 deficit at 9:38 in the 4th to close to 61-59 with 2:00 to play.  Final 65-61 in the closest game in the Elite 8.

Ron Boerger

Heck of a run by a team with zero playoff experience.   Congrats to the players, the staff, and the ASC!

Ron Boerger

One person who wants nothing to do with UT-Tyler's move to D2 is their now former women's basketball coach Kendra Anderson Hassell, who is returning to her alma mater to take over the Cowgirls.    http://www.hsuathletics.com/sports/w-baskbl/2017-18/releases/20180326iwktb2

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 26, 2018, 11:48:42 PM
One person who wants nothing to do with UT-Tyler's move to D2 is their now former women's basketball coach Kendra Anderson Hassell, who is returning to her alma mater to take over the Cowgirls.    http://www.hsuathletics.com/sports/w-baskbl/2017-18/releases/20180326iwktb2
Good move!

I am happy for her.

We keep an excellent coach in the ASC and I think that she will have more success at HSU than she has had at UT-Tyler, even considering the Elite 8 appearance.

Now look at the really good coaches in the Conference (and I am sure to leave out a couple).

ETBU  Rusty Rainbolt
HPU   Meia Daniels
HSU  Kendra Anderson Hassell
McMurry Brittany Densman-Roes
UMHB Mark Morefield
UTD Polly Thomasen

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/03/hassell-returns-to-alma-mater

Ron Boerger

This is a great move for HSU.  As someone familiar with the program during its heyday (and who was responsible a good deal of that success), Ms. Hassel should be able to relate to prospective students and know what it will take to reverse the decline the program has suffered for most of the last decade.

kr

Anybody want to speculate who the new coach at UT-Tyler will be? Any candidate rumors?

Ron Boerger

Women's basketball hires are such a mystery, especially at this level.   With UTT going D2 they may look for someone with experience with scholarship athletics, which present a much different recruiting challenge.