FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Kelly Boggs on December 06, 2017, 11:19:59 AM
UMHB had better be ready to play on Saturday and the offense must be better than it was against St. Thomas. Brockport is going to come to play and has nothing at all to lose. I expect Brockport to throw everything it has, and then some, at The CRU. UMHB must be ready to weather the storm and respond in championship fashion.   

Just an FYI and a FWIW: In 2004, UMHB was ranked #8 at the end of the regular season. The CRU went on a tear in the playoffs and eventually beat #1 Mount Union, at Alliance, in the Semifinals to secure a spot in UMHB's first Stagg Bowl. This year, Brockport ended the regular season ranked #10. The Golden Eagles have been rolling in the playoffs and will face #1 UMHB on the road in Belton. UMHB burst onto the D3 national scene with an upset of might Mount in 2004. Upsets happen and The CRU needs to bring its A+ game to ensure that doesn't happen on Saturday.
I agree, Kelly.

If I were the Brockport Coach, I would approach this game with wild abandon. Keep the players loose! Brockport has nothing to lose. I gauge the talk from the east boards, and from the Wesley fans whom I respect, that Brockport has enough talent at some key positions to hit UMHB as Wesley has done in the past.

HScoach

UMHB had better be ready to play on Saturday and the offense must be better than it was against St. Thomas. Brockport is going to come to play and has nothing at all to lose. I expect Brockport to throw everything it has, and then some, at The CRU. UMHB must be ready to weather the storm and respond in championship fashion.   

Just an FYI and a FWIW: In 2004, UMHB was ranked #8 at the end of the regular season. The CRU went on a tear in the playoffs and eventually beat #1 Mount Union, at Alliance, in the Semifinals to secure a spot in UMHB's first Stagg Bowl. This year, Brockport ended the regular season ranked #10. The Golden Eagles have been rolling in the playoffs and will face #1 UMHB on the road in Belton. UMHB burst onto the D3 national scene with an upset of mighty Mount in 2004. Upsets happen and The CRU needs to bring its A+ game to ensure that doesn't happen on Saturday.

I'll be more than shocked if Brockport is within 3 TD's of MHB.   Yes, they've won 3 playoff games but it's hardly been a murderous path.   The jump in competition from the average East Region playoff team to playing the very top of D3 is staggering.   Especially for a team that's new on the scene.   There's 3 teams left that are capable of winning a title and Brockport isn't one of them.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

USTBench

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 06, 2017, 12:41:27 PM

Just an FYI and a FWIW: In 2004, UMHB was ranked #8 at the end of the regular season. The CRU went on a tear in the playoffs and eventually beat #1 Mount Union, at Alliance, in the Semifinals to secure a spot in UMHB's first Stagg Bowl. This year, Brockport ended the regular season ranked #10. The Golden Eagles have been rolling in the playoffs and will face #1 UMHB on the road in Belton. UMHB burst onto the D3 national scene with an upset of might Mount in 2004. Upsets happen and The CRU needs to bring its A+ game to ensure that doesn't happen on Saturday.
I agree, Kelly.

If I were the Brockport Coach, I would approach this game with wild abandon. Keep the players loose! Brockport has nothing to lose. I gauge the talk from the east boards, and from the Wesley fans whom I respect, that Brockport has enough talent at some key positions to hit UMHB as Wesley has done in the past.

I am just not seeing it. UMHB's speed is going to overwhelm Brockport. I think Wesley fans need to keep their past success in context. They were playing an independent schedule that included upstart D1 programs, UMHB and Mt. Union in the playoffs. They got to see what championship speed looks like two or three times a year. Brockport doesn't have that advantage.

If you plan on going to Salem, book the trip (but, you know, spring for the travel insurance).
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

AO

Quote from: RFB on December 05, 2017, 02:02:33 PM
Good post. Try recruiting in California with tough admissions, a 60K yearly price tag, and 60+ junior college football programs.
Today I learned there are 68 California junior college football programs.  The rest of the county only has 65 junior college football programs.  The California schools don't play in the junior college "national championship" that Last Chance U competes in.

crufootball

Quote from: AO on December 06, 2017, 01:26:06 PM
Quote from: RFB on December 05, 2017, 02:02:33 PM
Good post. Try recruiting in California with tough admissions, a 60K yearly price tag, and 60+ junior college football programs.
Today I learned there are 68 California junior college football programs.  The rest of the county only has 65 junior college football programs.  The California schools don't play in the junior college "national championship" that Last Chance U competes in.

Wow I had no idea the junior college scene was that small, at least outside of California, would be interested to see a match-up between the two champions. I have always been a little surprised that there weren't more from the state of Texas.

Moto_Baggins_122

Hi y'all. LOOOONNGGG time lurker here finally got an account.

I think one thing these Wesley fans need to keep in mind when talking about their past success is that UMHB is bringing in a higher caliber of player than they used to in my opinion. There has been a noticeable jump since the Cruthedral was built.
We are SO good at this game!

D O.C.

Quoteand get called a douche

When did the healthy habit become a name swilling football fans and pierced Neanderthals throw at either other?
Try smegma breath instead.

This is a football board? Oh.
University of Mary Hardin Baylor wins running away on Saturday. CRIII now knows what good blitzing athletes feel like. If he's the future of the program he will be working on adjustments this week.

GillCJ1

Quote from: Moto_Baggins_122 on December 06, 2017, 03:16:17 PM

I think one thing these Wesley fans need to keep in mind when talking about their past success is that UMHB is bringing in a higher caliber of player than they used to in my opinion. There has been a noticeable jump since the Cruthedral was built.

Welcome aboard, Mr. Baggins.
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

Ralph Turner

Welcome to the boards.

Please join us on the other sports boards, too. (M & W Hoops and baseball)

wesleydad

Not sure what Wesley fans you are all talking about but since I am the one who posts the most I will take it as me.  I have stated clearly that I think Brockport will have to play a near perfect game to be in it at all.  I know how good the Cru is and well aware that they may be a step above the teams that Wesley beat back in the day.  I also know that the Cru offense is not as good as past offenses have been so they may not be able to crush Brockport because they may not score like the Cru teams in the past have done.  Most know that I follow Wesley and hope they do well, but I am hardly a homer when it comes to Wesley,  and short of a few people on this website, I follow way more of what is going on all over D3 than the average fan does.  I travel all over to see a good game, most of the time it is not a Wesley game.  I watched dozens of games this year on the computer to see who was good.  Wesley is not at the top tier this year, neither is Brockport.  I would expect this game to be closer to a UMHB blowout than a Brockport win.

Kelly Boggs

wesleydad,

I've always found your insights objective and helpful, so thanks for weighing in (+k). All I know is there are only four teams still playing. UMHB had better strap it on and play to its potential on both sides of the ball.
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

Moto_Baggins_122

Quote from: wesleydad on December 07, 2017, 11:08:10 AM

Not sure what Wesley fans you are all talking about but since I am the one who posts the most I will take it as me.

It might be more than just Wesley fans then, but I was referring to people over on the East region board referencing Wesley's past success as a reason why another East region team can compete and/or win as well as what Fisher's offense did to UMHB's D in 2013 I think. I was just trying to make a point that I don't think that comparison holds up because UMHB has a higher level of talent than we used to.

Kelly Boggs

Your thoughts on: Will Brockport punt/kickoff to UMHB's #1, Bryce Wilkerson?
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

USTBench

Quote from: Kelly Boggs on December 07, 2017, 12:40:05 PM

My advice: don't.

But if you do: watch your 6  ;D
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

Moto_Baggins_122

Quote from: Kelly Boggs on December 07, 2017, 12:40:05 PM

I hope!