Author Topic: GNAC Women's Hoop.  (Read 72806 times)

Offline deiscanton

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: GNAC Women's Hoop.
« Reply #330 on: February 23, 2018, 08:23:29 am »
Yesterday was the 31st meeting all time between Suffolk and Emmanuel.

Before last night, Suffolk had only beaten Emmanuel one time-- that was a 66-55 win for the Rams at Regan Gym on Suffolk's campus on Feb. 9, 2008-- a GNAC regular season contest.

Suffolk never won on the Emmanuel campus until last night, when the Rams rode their starters to the win.  3 of 5 Suffolk's starters are underclassmen, and 4 of the 5 Suffolk starters played 35 min plus last night.  All of the starters for Suffolk came up with big games.

I was impressed with the double-double of Suffolk senior Georgia Bourikas, who had a 21 pt, 14 rebound game-- 9 of those 14 rebounds came on the offensive glass.

Also, Suffolk rookie point guard Jenni-Rose Dicecco proved with her 14 pt, 4 rebound game why she is going to be GNAC Rookie of the Year.  The GNAC has awarded her the Rookie of the Week honors several times this season.

Suffolk used 9 players in the win, with none of the bench players playing 10 min plus.

Suffolk out rebounded Emmanuel by 11, and shot 95% (19-20) from the FT line.

Overall, I felt that Suffolk showed more poise than Emmanuel last night and deserved the win.  I was a little disappointed in Emmanuel's Yuleska Ramirez- Tejeda's reaction to a foul call from one of the officials in the first half.  She reacted by slamming the ball down on the court-- thereby also earning a technical foul.  Suffolk hit all 4 of their FT attempts on that play.  As a result, Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda will be joining the Emmanuel softball team as a utility player 1 game earlier than she would have liked.  She played shortstop in high school.

One of the reasons that Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda transferred to Emmanuel was to be a 2 sport athlete in college-- she was not going to be able to do that at a low major d1 school.