Pool C

Started by Pat Coleman, January 20, 2006, 02:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_jays

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2017, 09:49:11 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 06, 2017, 08:44:49 PM
IWU's coach (Dennie Bridges, now the AD)

Bridges retired two years ago, Chuck. Mike Wagner took over as IWU's athletic director on August 1, 2015. Oh, and Bridges had been the AD since '81, when Jack Horenberger retired. First, you're unaware of the fact that IWU dropped its graduate programs many years ago, now this. Does your wife intercept the IWU alumni magazine and throw it in the trash before you ever see it? It's a little embarrassing that I don't much care for your alma mater and you're devoted to it, and yet I know all of this basic stuff about it and you don't. :D

Quote from: FanOfNescac on March 06, 2017, 09:15:50 PM
Quote from: BigMike33 on March 06, 2017, 09:11:01 PM
Everyone wants to argue past years tournament performance as a future predictor..every team, game and season is different.

So I argued facts from this year...Middlebury beat Illinois Wesleyan at their lowest moment of season. They would DESTROY IW today. Their offensive efficiency and passing is special since the offensive change to a high/low post 4 big rotation offense. Sorry you can't wrap your head around that one

Since you are arguing for the Midwest as an aggregate,,,guess what, IW defacto became your team...your argument, your line of reasoning, your inclusion of IW.   

I saw IW so rather than reading the box score and regurgitating stats like you......1.3 seconds..you can read Play by Play...nice...
I know Daly had the ball with 10 secs left, how many jab steps Daly took and exactly where he was......Jack Daly was two steps inside foul line..that is a 10 footer and when I congratulated him Saturday night after the Middlebury Regional win...we laughed about the big goon Seibert from IW and how according to his coach to the press....he would never say anything to get a technical... yet Daly baited him then said bye bye as the technical was his fifth personal foul with a few minutes to go in game.

IW still at the table...wah wah wah....  Middlebury practicing hard and game planning for 2 revenge games. Endicott will be in for a surprise as they faced the December version of Middlebury.

and since you seem to miss this as well..Teams improve as season goes on..the better teams get better.  Ask any Williams fan on January 20th after Hamilton game if they would play for NESCAC title or make Sweet 16...not likely..then it clicked

Amherst was a shaky selection...They called for 5 cabs after every Amherst game...not a team that played together

Only three years to go

LOL!

Quote from: kiko on March 06, 2017, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: BigMike33 on March 06, 2017, 09:11:01 PM

Since you are arguing for the Midwest as an aggregate,,,guess what, IW defacto became your team...your argument, your line of reasoning, your inclusion of IW.   

If you're gonna argue this angle, can we please make Wheaton his team?  ::)

Another LOL!

(I'll spare the NESCAC folks the agony of having me prolong this farce. Be warned, though, that it may lead to his migrating back to the NESCAC room. ;))

Gotta say, I always look forward to Sager vs. the NESCAC on the boards every March. The sideshow involved was particularly amusing this time around. But don't take my support for his views as an endorsement of North Park...

magicman

Quote from: HOPEful on March 08, 2017, 02:09:45 PM
Quote from: magicman on March 08, 2017, 02:04:34 PM
I placed a call to Vegas to see if they would make book on who would have the last word...Greg or nescac1.

They informed me that Greg was the morning line favorite at 2-1, but the late money has been pouring in on nescac1 and he's now 8-5. Post time is midnight tonight.
magicman, how did you bet? I'll place my bet to mirror yours!

My money's on Greg. It's always on Greg!!

Greek Tragedy

You Don't Mess With the Zohan Sager!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III NCAA tournaments have already seen their fair share of twists and turns. Both defending champions eliminated on the opening night, several home teams beaten, off-the-radar squads tearing Top 10 teams apart, and much more.

It has been an exciting start. What's next?

Can the home teams parlay a perceived advantage into a Championship Weekend appearence? What Cinderalla team will hear the chimes of midnight? What program will continue to make history? How will the battle of Top 25 teams shake out? And will a storied career end this weekend or in Salem?

There is plenty to talk about ahead of the Sectional Weekend and Dave McHugh has a super-sized list of guests on Thursday night's Hoopsville.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE staring at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/mar9 --- or via the Facebook Live simulcast. If you missed any part of the show, you can watch it On Demand or listen to the podcast.

Despite the large list of guests, Dave will find time to answer questions as well. Make sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or tweet them and Dave will answer them on air.

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- Brian Morehouse, No. 18 Hope women's coach
- Trevor Woodruff, No. 17 Scranton women's coach
- Craig Carse, Hardin-Simmons men's coach
- Ruth Sinn, No. 2 St. Thomas women's coach
- Michelle Ferenz, No. 16 Whitman women's coach
- Kevin App, Williams men's coach
- Grey Giovanine, Augustana men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sac

Quote from: sac on March 05, 2017, 12:47:40 PM
First Round

NJ City  eliminated by Pool C Skidmore
Amherst eliminated by Pool C Keene St.
Salisbury eliminated by Pool C Endicott
St. Thomas eliminated by Pool C Augustana
Oshkosh eliminated by Pool C Hope

Wesleyan eliminated by Pool A Union
Cabrini eliminated by Pool A Lycoming
St. Lawrence eliminated by Pool A St. John Fisher
Whitworth elimininated by Pool A Claremont MS

2nd Round
Skidmore eliminated by Pool C Babson
Whitewater eliminated by Pool C Augustana

Emory eliminated by Pool A Hardin-Simmons

7 of the 12 Pool C's eliminated were eliminated by other Pool C's.

Susquehanna eliminated by Pool C Williams
Tufts eliminated by Pool C Babson
Hope eliminated by Pool A Hanover
Endicott eliminated by Pool A Middlebury

5 Pool C's remain
Keene St., Williams, Augustana, Babson, Rochester

Keene St vs Babson is only Pool C vs Pool C tonight.

sac

Quote from: sac on March 11, 2017, 11:36:37 AM
Quote from: sac on March 05, 2017, 12:47:40 PM
First Round

NJ City  eliminated by Pool C Skidmore
Amherst eliminated by Pool C Keene St.
Salisbury eliminated by Pool C Endicott
St. Thomas eliminated by Pool C Augustana
Oshkosh eliminated by Pool C Hope

Wesleyan eliminated by Pool A Union
Cabrini eliminated by Pool A Lycoming
St. Lawrence eliminated by Pool A St. John Fisher
Whitworth elimininated by Pool A Claremont MS

2nd Round
Skidmore eliminated by Pool C Babson
Whitewater eliminated by Pool C Augustana

Emory eliminated by Pool A Hardin-Simmons

7 of the 12 Pool C's eliminated were eliminated by other Pool C's.

Susquehanna eliminated by Pool C Williams
Tufts eliminated by Pool C Babson
Hope eliminated by Pool A Hanover
Endicott eliminated by Pool A Middlebury

5 Pool C's remain
Keene St., Williams, Augustana, Babson, Rochester

Keene St vs Babson is only Pool C vs Pool C tonight.

Keene St eliminated by Pool C Babson

3 Pool C's head to Salem

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season has begun and tonight Hoopsville will hit the air for its 15th season!

In tonight's season premiere, Dave McHugh chats with the two preseason No. 1 teams, both national committee chairs, and gets an update on a new tournament featuring several Top 25 teams. Dave will also try and get everyone up to speed on the new season and take a look at what has already happened in early season games.

One thing fans may notice is no video for this season's debut. This is not a change in the production of the show, just a temporary decision. There has been a lot going on leading up to the premiere and not everything got up to speed in time. We hope to have actual video broadcasts return in short order. We appreciate everyone's patience.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE staring at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2017-18/nov16 --- or via the Facebook Live simulcast. If you missed any part of the show, you can watch it On Demand or listen to the podcast.

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Bobbi Morgan, Haverford women's coach and DIII National Basketball Committee Chair
- Tim Pitzpatrick, U.S. Coast Guard Academy Athletics Director and DIII National Basketball Committee Chair
- Eric Bridgeland, No. 1 Whitman men's coach
- Carla Berube, No. 1 Tufts women's coach
- Ryan Whitnabe, Great Lakes podcaster and Great Lakes Invitational creator

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

deiscanton

As of January 9, we are still waiting for the NCAA to release its 2017-18 edition of the Men's Basketball Pre-Championship Manual.

I read on another forum where somebody believed that in order to be eligible for selection, at least 75% of the opponents on the schedule had to be DIII in-region.  It is actually at least 70%, just for clarification, and the requirement is not very difficult, in most cases to meet, as conference games count as in-region, so the rest of the requirement applies to non-conference scheduling.  The Championships Committee can grant a waiver from this requirement if a team can prove hardship in meeting this requirement.

This year, Finlandia has been granted a waiver from the scheduling requirement for both men's and women's basketball for the 2017-18 season.  Waiver requests are voted on at the June meeting of the DIII Championships Committee.

FYI, here are the other 3 criteria for a non-conference DIII opponent to meet the in-region scheduling requirement:

1.). Team is in the defined evaluation region.
2.). Team is within 500 miles, or
3.). Team is in the same NCAA geographic region.

All DIII games (excluding 1st and 2nd year provisional/reclassifying teams) count in the primary criteria for evaluation purposes.

lmitzel

Quote from: deiscanton on January 09, 2018, 05:01:11 AM
As of January 9, we are still waiting for the NCAA to release its 2017-18 edition of the Men's Basketball Pre-Championship Manual.

I read on another forum where somebody believed that in order to be eligible for selection, at least 75% of the opponents on the schedule had to be DIII in-region.  It is actually at least 70%, just for clarification, and the requirement is not very difficult, in most cases to meet, as conference games count as in-region, so the rest of the requirement applies to non-conference scheduling.  The Championships Committee can grant a waiver from this requirement if a team can prove hardship in meeting this requirement.

This year, Finlandia has been granted a waiver from the scheduling requirement for both men's and women's basketball for the 2017-18 season.  Waiver requests are voted on at the June meeting of the DIII Championships Committee.

FYI, here are the other 3 criteria for a non-conference DIII opponent to meet the in-region scheduling requirement:

All DIII games (excluding 1st and 2nd year provisional/reclassifying teams) count in the primary criteria for evaluation purposes.

I don't know if it popped up or not after you posted this, but said manual actually is available.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

deiscanton

Quote from: lmitzel on January 09, 2018, 10:56:53 AM

I don't know if it popped up or not after you posted this, but said manual actually is available.

Thanks for providing the link.

The NCAA just published the manual this morning, and I have taken a look at it.

Of note:

1.). In the primary criteria, results vs ranked DIII opponents are defined as those DiII opponents listed in the final ranking and the ranking immediately preceding the final ranking.  Conference postseason tournament results are included.

2.). DIII non-conference strength of schedule is included as part of the secondary criteria.

43 AQs, 21 Pool C selections for this year's tournament.

First published ranking is on Wed. Feb. 7, while results against teams in the rankings on Feb. 21 and Feb. 26 will count as results vs ranked teams for selection purposes.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: deiscanton on January 09, 2018, 12:58:15 PM

Of note:

1.). In the primary criteria, results vs ranked DIII opponents are defined as those DiII opponents listed in the final ranking and the ranking immediately preceding the final ranking.  Conference postseason tournament results are included.

2.). DIII non-conference strength of schedule is included as part of the secondary criteria.

First published ranking is on Wed. Feb. 7, while results against teams in the rankings on Feb. 21 and Feb. 26 will count as results vs ranked teams for selection purposes.

I hate results versus regionally ranked opponents being a primary criteria, but I really really hate also counting games against teams that may have fallen out of the final rankings. This is a big big benefit to the power conferences who might have several teams jockeying for position in the regional rankings.

deiscanton

Quote from: KnightSlappy on January 09, 2018, 01:12:19 PM
Quote from: deiscanton on January 09, 2018, 12:58:15 PM

Of note:

I hate results versus regionally ranked opponents being a primary criteria, but I really really hate also counting games against teams that may have fallen out of the final rankings. This is a big big benefit to the power conferences who might have several teams jockeying for position in the regional rankings.

The rationale for the change in the definition of regionally ranked teams is explained in the June, 2016 report of the DIII Championships Committee.  This change was initially proposed by the DIII Men's and Women's Soccer Committees, in order to stabilize a team's standing heading into selections.  Various input was heard from all of the sport committees, and I believe that this change is in keeping with the notion that a team's entire season should be taken into account at the selection, not just performance in the final week, which is usually conf tournament week.  Barring adoption of the RPI, I believe that this is an acceptable compromise between the "once ranked, always ranked" camp, and the "rankings at the time of selection" position.  Keep in mind that this definition applies to all d3 team sports.

The Championships Committee does not currently support adopting the RPI for DIII, even though the basketball committees have asked the Championships Committee to consider it.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: deiscanton on January 09, 2018, 01:41:32 PM
The rationale for the change in the definition of regionally ranked teams is explained in the June, 2016 report of the DIII Championships Committee.  This change was initially proposed by the DIII Men's and Women's Soccer Committees, in order to stabilize a team's standing heading into selections.  Various input was heard from all of the sport committees, and I believe that this change is in keeping with the notion that a team's entire season should be taken into account at the selection, not just performance in the final week, which is usually conf tournament week.  Barring adoption of the RPI, I believe that this is an acceptable compromise between the "once ranked, always ranked" camp, and the "rankings at the time of selection" position.  Keep in mind that this definition applies to all d3 team sports.

The Championships Committee does not currently support adopting the RPI for DIII, even though the basketball committees have asked the Championships Committee to consider it.

As I understand it, one of the problems they're trying to solve is that a team could be "hurt" by making their conference tournament. I'm thinking here of the 5th place CCIW squad that might be on the fringes of Pool C discussion not having to take a loss.

But the question I have is what value are we adding by giving a team a RvRRO for playing an opponent that is now ranked 10th in a region that ranks the top 8? The selection committee is going to drill down into that data and see that said team is not in a ranked position and discount that result greatly. Sure, it could be used as a tiebreaker of sorts, but what about the 9th ranked team in that same region? Perhaps their position never changed. Games against them count less than games against the team below them.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: KnightSlappy on January 09, 2018, 04:07:26 PM
Quote from: deiscanton on January 09, 2018, 01:41:32 PM

As I understand it, one of the problems they're trying to solve is that a team could be "hurt" by making their conference tournament. I'm thinking here of the 5th place CCIW squad that might be on the fringes of Pool C discussion not having to take a loss.

But the question I have is what value are we adding by giving a team a RvRRO for playing an opponent that is now ranked 10th in a region that ranks the top 8? The selection committee is going to drill down into that data and see that said team is not in a ranked position and discount that result greatly. Sure, it could be used as a tiebreaker of sorts, but what about the 9th ranked team in that same region? Perhaps their position never changed. Games against them count less than games against the team below them.

I agree - it made slightly more sense when they did more rankings to do once ranked always ranked, because a team could actually have been good the last week of January and fallen off a cliff.  You'd want to reward results against teams playing well at the time.  Now, though, with the short turnaround and only using one extra week, there's really no case to be made.  Maybe a team that loses in its conference tournament to a better team, but even in that case, if the team isn't already good enough to stay in the rankings, they probably aren't good enough to continue to be counted as "ranked."

If Whitewater loses to Oshkosh in the WIAC final and drops from 4 to 9 or something, maybe they weren't good.  If they were it might've been a drop from 4 to 6 and they'd still be ranked.

They should just use the final rankings.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

gordonmann

I appreciate them using the last public ranking since we don't get to see the final set until after the bracket selections are made.