WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sac on November 19, 2017, 12:43:33 AM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 18, 2017, 05:55:08 PM
Quote from: Dutchfan on November 18, 2017, 05:12:35 PM
Does Hope really play Baldwin Wallace TWICE in Orlando in a three days span?

Yes they do - the other school dropped out last minute.

The should play Baldwin one night, and Wallace the next.

Am I right?

He'll be here all season, folks. Make sure you tip your servers and... try the veil! :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Roundball999

Great win for the Flying Dutch last night at NACC favorite Concordia Wisconsin.  11 hour road trip to a tough team's court, coming off a tough win against Rose Hulman, this could have easily been a trap game.  Even more impressive, the two freshman guards led the way.  Very nice job!

OC_SID

Quote from: sac on November 19, 2017, 12:43:33 AM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 18, 2017, 05:55:08 PM
Quote from: Dutchfan on November 18, 2017, 05:12:35 PM
Does Hope really play Baldwin Wallace TWICE in Orlando in a three days span?

Yes they do - the other school dropped out last minute.

The should play Baldwin one night, and Wallace the next.

Am I right?

Before it was Baldwin Wallace, it was Baldwin-Wallace, and before that it was Baldwin College (maybe University) and German Wallace College.

Flying Dutch Fan

Interesting game last night with Olivet at Hope - if I'm not mistaken there were 6 freshman starting between the two teams.  Olivet's press was impressive, specially how well they did it on missed shots rebounded by Hope.  Lots of turnovers for the Dutch, in fact Hope had three 10 second violations in the first half.  Hope eventually adjusted to it, and attacked well.  Francesca (Frankie) Buchanan with a monster game of 18 points, 19 rebounds, in 21 minutes.

Side note - Olivet coach Zach Ingles was pretty animated several times over what he saw as missed calls.  At one point he sat behind his team on the bleachers, which drew the attention of the small but boisterous Dew Crew.  They then mimicked everything Coach Ingles did for the next couple minutes, which had the broadcasters cracking up. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

jspiii

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 30, 2017, 01:21:17 PM
Interesting game last night with Olivet at Hope - if I'm not mistaken there were 6 freshman starting between the two teams.  Olivet's press was impressive, specially how well they did it on missed shots rebounded by Hope.  Lots of turnovers for the Dutch, in fact Hope had three 10 second violations in the first half.  Hope eventually adjusted to it, and attacked well.  Francesca (Frankie) Buchanan with a monster game of 18 points, 19 rebounds, in 21 minutes.

Side note - Olivet coach Zach Ingles was pretty animated several times over what he saw as missed calls.  At one point he sat behind his team on the bleachers, which drew the attention of the small but boisterous Dew Crew.  They then mimicked everything Coach Ingles did for the next couple minutes, which had the broadcasters cracking up.

Agree on the backcourt violations. Tolbert did a good job dribbling through the press. 3 Hope passes in the backcourt will eat a lot of those 10 seconds. Olivet is going to surprise a few teams in the conference. The 25 point margin was not indicative of how hard Olivet made Hope work.

TUAngola

Trine won against Franklin last night.  Not overly impressive season for the girls so far in the games I've been to.  Yes they've been winning, but things just seem out of sync compared to last year.  Shooting has been poor, especially behind the arc.  Defense has been pretty good, but offensively we don't have much fluidity yet in our half court offense.  Forced shots, poor to no movement.  Most of our offense is from getting out on the break and creating scoring chances that way.  Not having Haley Martin at full strength has hurt the chemistry a bit, but all teams have injuries to deal with.  She's made some progress but you can tell she isn't 100% yet, and maybe she won't be this year.  We're a bit overrated, not sure if top 10 ranking is deserving, but lots of season yet to get it figured out.  I'd love to see Coach play Montana Martin more, maybe even start.  She's been pretty good this year, one of the more athletic girls we have.  But he's probably thinking the team needs her more with the 2nd unit to be the go to gal in that group.

MIAA season for Trine starts Saturday with a trip to Alma.  It will be interesting to see how we do against league foes the next couple of weeks. 

TUAngola

Trine 50, Calvin 47

Calvin outplayed Trine for 3/4 of the game.  Calvin is such a disciplined team, they don't make many mistakes.  If it wasn't for a huge 4th quarter comeback, Trine would for certain be looking at a 2-1 MIAA record.  Spayde is a really good player, she has the ball in her hands when it's go time, however she had to work pretty hard today but made some really clutch shots.  Same for Warners.  She has a nice mid-range jump shot.  As for Trine like I said in an earlier post we just aren't very good in the half court offense yet.  In the 4th we got some stops and got out and ran and that is what propelled the comeback, plus we finally hit some big 3's, 2 by Haley Martin to get us close, and the game winner by Montana Martin with 5 seconds to go.  Calvin calls time out to set up their offense and we actually tried fouling Calvin to put them at the line, but the refs didn't see it and we stole the ball and ran out the clock.

This was the last women's game played in Hershey Hall, as the 2nd half of the season begins with a home game against Hope Wed, Jan 3 in the new MTI Center.  It was nice to close this chapter with a gutsy win.       

Roundball999

Hope squeaked by at Albion, where they always have difficulty.  The Dutch trailed most of the first three quarters of the game, giving a very solid Albion team their first loss of the season. 

The Dutch have a lot of firepower but they have a lot of work to do to gel on defense and take care of the ball.  Hope's turnover margin is the smallest I can remember, reflecting an uncharacteristically high 17 to/gm rate.  Also, the defense seems to be still learning Hope's system of overplaying the wings with backside help.  Much of this can probably be attributed to a lot of youth in the backcourt compared to recent years - it takes a while to learn and trust that system - and perhaps the lack of that one or two lockdown defenders that Hope always seems to feature.

That said, these things are exactly the kind a little more experience and coaching can address.  I'm sure the team will continue to shore up these areas as the season progresses.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

First semester finals may have started, or about to start, but that hasn't stopped the action on the hardcourt from being formidable. Even the first winter storm of the season didn't stop the games on the East Coast.

On Sunday night's episode of Hoopsville, Dave tries not to scratch his hair (out) as he and guests try and decipher the action of the past few nights and week. While the women seem to have settled in this week, the men's side continues to produce results that make things more complicated. Are there any great teams in Division III?

It just may be too early, still, to really know.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET right here: http://bit.ly/2kjEiau

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Carissa Sain Knoche, Chicago women's coach
- Brian Morehouse, No. 8 Hope women's coach
- Dan Raymond, Ithaca women's coach
- Jeff Brown, No. 2 Middlebury men's coach
- Matt Goldsmith, TCNJ men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

gordonmann

Speaking of Hope, nice cameo from former Flying Dutch great and Player of the Year Carrie Snikkers in this week's Around the Nation column

http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-nation/2017-18/women-pro-ball

TUAngola

Trine WBB hits the road with 2 games in Vegas this week against UWStout and Amherst.  Then MIAA play begins with a huge game against Hope on Wednesday the 3rd at the brand new MTI Center.

Here is a "sneak peak" of the inside, scoreboard looks sweet!

Merry Christmas everyone!

[attachment deleted by admin]

TUAngola

MIAA play resumes tomorrow (Wed) with Trine's first game in the brand new MTI Center with a huge game against Hope.  Trine finished 2017 with a nice record, only blemish being the 6 pt loss to Amherst in Vegas last Friday.  Trine held a 5 pt lead at half but just struggled mightily hitting shots all game, but that was to be expected against the top ranked defensive team in the nation.

I wish we would have had a few games in the new arena before Hope came to town, but the schedule is what it is.  I think this will benefit Hope as it will probably feel more like a neutral court game, new surroundings for Trine, no students on campus either.  For those Hope fans making the trip travel safely.  I think the weather forecast is calling for lake effect snow beginning late afternoon, it shouldn't affect Angola much but areas west and north are supposed to get some significant accumulation.  Anyone attending however will be admitted free.  Some giveaways planned as well.     

Pat Coleman

I had a nice conversation with Trine coach Ryan Gould about the new arena, the team's performance at the D3hoops.com Classic and the rest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixKs7tzVo
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

TUAngola

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 02, 2018, 05:52:21 PM
I had a nice conversation with Trine coach Ryan Gould about the new arena, the team's performance at the D3hoops.com Classic and the rest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixKs7tzVo

Thanks for uploading that interview, I had not seen it.  Ryan has certainly elevated the program since his arrival at Trine and it's been exciting to see his teams compete.  You can tell the gals really love playing for the coaching staff and for each other. 

Roundball999

Have to give Trine the nod in this one.  Hope is undefeated, but a lot of tight wins including some against teams that are not great.  Trine is veteran and very solid, Hope quite young especially in backcourt.  Hope has lost the rebounding battle and turnover margin in several games this year, very uncharacteristic.  Trine by 10 tonight, but Hope will get them at Devos.