WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Vandy74...well put, as usual.  The info wrt to the women's teams prefer to not travel with the men's team is quite questionable.  Spoke to the Doswell twins mother at a sports function recently.  She misses going to games when both teams play on the same night.  Many other fans like me enjoy the bigger crowds, etc. Each team has their own set of fans beside family members, etc but are supportive of the other teams.  I do not believe it should be a money thing.  More likely a coaches preference wrt to scheduling, IMO. 

ronk

Landmark plays Wed and Sat; Wed are single games in both teams' gyms; these are the 3 closest opponents in terms of travel distance and time away from school. Sat games are doubleheaders(4 most distant opponents) and the women and men travel on the same bus(at least, in Scranton's case). Seems to be a reasonable compromise to the question.

saratoga

Ronk:

Perhaps things have changed recently, but I know that for many years the Scranton men & women traveled in different busses to the same location.

They actually even used two different companies.

The games are far better when they are doubleheaders...especially at Scranton where the crowd for the women's game will usually stay for the first half on the mens game.

Usually.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on November 30, 2017, 05:21:31 PM
Vandy74...well put, as usual.  The info wrt to the women's teams prefer to not travel with the men's team is quite questionable.  Spoke to the Doswell twins mother at a sports function recently.  She misses going to games when both teams play on the same night.  Many other fans like me enjoy the bigger crowds, etc. Each team has their own set of fans beside family members, etc but are supportive of the other teams.  I do not believe it should be a money thing.  More likely a coaches preference wrt to scheduling, IMO.

Amh63, I reported what my sister-in-law has told me on more than one occasion.  She's only as connected with what is going on inside the MC athletic world as she cares to be these days, but she was sayinging the same thing four years ago when you and I first questioned the logic behind the scheduling change.  To some extent I may be privy only to how Middlebury views certain matters, but even then she told me the changes had been in the planning stage for quite some time .  Among the complaints she mentioned was the fact both teams shared the same bus on road trips, hardly a team unifying experience.  Did Amherst provide two vehicles, do you know?  Another concern might not have been as big a problem at Amherst where both teams have been highly ranked for a number of years, but very few people attended the Panther women's games.  When they were played at 6:00 pm it was too early.  Somewhere during the second half people would begin showing up to watch the men's game.  The fact they usually saw a losing Middlebury team on the court hardly lent itself to increased interest in the women's team.  In seasons when the men's game was played first, few stayed to watch the women.  As just stated, Middlebury women's basketball wasn't a very saleable product at the time.  It's ironic that the scheduling change took place exactly when a new HC was hired.  As she begins her fourth season at the helm, KJ Krasco and her assistant Jessica Turner have completely turned the program around.  It's difficult to believe that now, were the women's games still paired with the men's, they would fail to attract a larger audience.  As a stand alone event, it hasn't happened.  Only veteran fans are in much of a position to know how much better the team has become.  With four regional high schools' as well as MC's sports to report on, the local bi-weekly does it's best, but there are many times when even the nationally ranked men's team can receive only token coverage.  Another factor is that with the improvements in live streaming, and the fact that the  games are played at the same time, fans who would watch the women play but are essentially fans of the men's game, are more inclined to view the latter even when it's on the road.

On January 9th, when Castleton comes to town, it will be interesting to see if their fans outnumber Middlebury's by the four to one ratio they did two years ago.  The schools are only 30 miles apart.  The Panther men don't play that evening. 

deiscanton

Congratulations to Amherst coach GP Gromacki on achieving 300 career coaching wins.

Last night, Eastern Connecticut scored more than 50 pts on the Amherst defense, becoming the first New England team to do so since Babson on Nov. 20th last season.  Only 5 teams were able to score more than 50 pts on Amherst last season-- Babson, Randolph-Macon, Chapman, Mary Washington, and Christopher Newport.  3 of those teams did it before January, the other two in the NCAA tournament.

amh63

deiscanton.....beat me to the news wrt Amherst's HC 300th win at Amherst!
Yes the Lady Warriors did a nice job blocking out and hitting their shots.  It must be pointed out that ECSU was ahead 2-0 before Amherst took the floor!  Twice the lady on the floor announcer just stated the technical foul call was due to "uniform apparel".  Really strange!  HC G did not even seem to be concerned.  As the the on floor announcer related, Coach G wanted more RBs and execution of the defense in the second half.  One of the returning injured players played well in her 2nd half appearance.  A starter remains out.  See that the younger players getting more time are working on their outside shots.  The two PG lineup is interesting and effective.  Both fine defensive players.  PG Fox now left open to score outside and go to the boards more.  Quite an efficient scorer and a great talent.  There are at least three players that are multi sport student athletes

amh63

Forgot some trivia comments.
First.....thanks Vandy74 for the info. 
ECSU on its website shows off its Team Bus...only One?
I have a personal type connection to ECSU..minor one.  The Prez of ECSU is married to a classmate of mine.  Met her at a reunion gathering.  Her husband has been connected with NE/Ma. higher edu for quite some time.  He was Prez of UMass- Boston, then Northeastern Un. And then was head of the Mass. public college system for a time. 
The Lady Mammouths...hope I spelled the new mascot correctly....has a busy diverging schedule from the men' s team.  They will be at the D3 hoops tourney in Las Vegas, and again be on a  West Coast tour again.  Me thinks that such out of conference games helps with recruiting a bit. :)
Last comment.  The game last season at Randolph-Macon was in part because of the Doswell-twins, now alums.  Their private school in Richmond sent a very large contingent of fans to the game. The game was played just down the road from the town of Doswell, Va.  The game was Never in doubt.
It must be pointed out that how well the team plays in the post season is most important.  Amherst played Tufts three Times last season.  Two close wins and a blowout in the Title game when Amherst really put a defensive clampdown on the Jumbos...presently ranked No. 1 by D3hoops.

gordonmann

Any insight on Bowdoin?

I expected them to be good, but not this good.

PolarBearPA

Quote from: gordonmann on December 01, 2017, 01:51:47 PM
Any insight on Bowdoin?

I expected them to be good, but not this good.

Pretty deep team. Press entire game and if they are shooting the long ball well (Petit, Kelly, Choate, Kerrigan) they are tough to beat. Biggest question mark is defending the post - although they did a fine job against UMass Dartmouth inside players with 6'2" Stewart and 5'11" Hasson inside. Team needs to keep improving and not plateau after this hot start... but they should be in the mix with Amherst and Tufts.

Coach Shibles was interviewed in the latest Hoopsville podcast and worth a listen.

gordonmann

ronk

Bowdoin's Kate Kerrigan impressed me during her last AAU season against D1-level opposition. She had an intuitive sense for making plays, not common at that level. Haven't seen her play for Bowdoin yet, but have been following her in the boxscores. Sam Roy is a good shooting guard. 

PolarBearPA

Quote from: ronk on December 01, 2017, 07:51:16 PM
Bowdoin's Kate Kerrigan impressed me during her last AAU season against D1-level opposition. She had an intuitive sense for making plays, not common at that level. Haven't seen her play for Bowdoin yet, but have been following her in the boxscores. Sam Roy is a good shooting guard.

Kate is a great player. She is leading the team in assists, steals and rebounds (from the guard spot) and second in scoring. Hard to believe she is a senior already.

One more source of info on Bowdoin for those interested. Focuses on the "Maine Connection" to the program but will give you a good overview of the player mix to date.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/12/03/bowdoins-success-in-womens-basketball-is-helped-by-mainers/

NE Jeffs Fan

Nice win for Amherst in Las Vegas.  Slow start, but turned on the pressure, rebounding and shooting when they realized that UCSC came to play.  Looking forward to the game tomorrow with #6 Trine.  Will be good experience for upcoming NESCAC play.  The announcers were talking about how deep the NESCAC is this year.  Very few easy games once league play starts.

NE Jeffs Fan

Surprised at how quiet this board is with all the Holiday games.  Good win for Amherst over Trine.  Nice test for the team before NESCAC action starts, especially missing the Doswell twins and all their scoring and leadership.  One more game in California.  Quite a trip for the team!!!  Hope to hear from others as league play starts.

amh63

NE Jeff's Fan...Amherst has a game at 5PM tonight with Redlands at Chapman in Southern Cal.
Nice to hear from you... and following the Lady Mommouths!