Author Topic: Little East  (Read 131272 times)

Offline 7express

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: Little East
« Reply #1080 on: February 27, 2018, 12:42:09 am »
Absolute bull spit that MassD does not make the tourney!?  This reeks of favoritism.  How does a team that made the elite eight last year, which bettered themselves this year get left out?!!!!!!!! Shameful and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Last year's record, last year's elite 8 run has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on this year's team.  Does it suck??  Absolutely if you are a Dartmouth player or fan, especially a senior, but this team did it to themselves.  They swept every team in the league.  Beat the team they were playing in the finals by 30 points at home in the regular season, and by 15 on the road.  They didn't have to worry about whether or not they would get a pool C selection, and the team just blew it.  Simple as that.
Twitter: twitter.com/maxl100
http://maxdavidlyonssports.blogspot.com/

Offline 7express

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 27, 2018, 12:52:53 am »
AFAIK Roger Williams actually beat Dartmouth during the season, so that seems to be grasping at straws.  I don't think head-to-head is an "official" criteria (Dave or someone else correct me if I'm wrong here), but I'm pretty sure its a part of the secondary criteria they use to select teams.  RWU was ahead of Dartmouth in the regional rankings the previous week, maybe because of the head-to-head, maybe because of something else, maybe a combination of things, but it would have seemed unlikely if both lost in the conference tournament that Dartmouth would have jumped, and that looks to be the case.  Obviously, I don't know the exact order they were picked, but Tufts got 1 bid out of New England (my guess would be the 1st), Bowdoin got the second bid, likely 1 right after the other, and than Roger Williams was next in line at the table, and than either 1 of 2 things happened since Dartmouth should have been right after Mr. Roger Williams.

1) RWU got picked so late in the selection process there wasn't enough rounds left to evaluate Dartmouth vs. the other Pool C contenders from the other 6 or 7 regions.
2) Dartmouth was on the table for a good length of time, but their numbers never quite stacked up to the other contenders, hence why NE never got a 3rd team in the field.

If I had to guess, since I don't know what the official order of pool C selections was, but I'm guessing it was more the former than the latter which RWU selected about rounds 17-19, and by that point there are only a handful of teams left to be selected.
Twitter: twitter.com/maxl100
http://maxdavidlyonssports.blogspot.com/

Offline deiscanton

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 27, 2018, 04:25:15 am »
Results in d3 "Head to head" are definitely one of the five primary selection criteria used to rank and select teams.

UMass-Dartmouth got a tough beat.  Why did the Ivy League hold on for so-long to their belief that the regular season champion should get the AQ (with a 1 game playoff at a neutral site if there are co-champions) instead of having a conference tournament?  There is a case to be made that regular season conference performance (especially going undefeated in regular season conference play) makes a team more deserving of a bid in a 1 bid league than having a team get some good breaks in a 1 week tournament and earning the AQ that way.

However, most of d3 adopted the belief that the conference tournaments are the fairest way to determine AQs-- primarily due to the situation that the d3 presidents and chancellors do not have the finances or are not willing to have athletic teams sacrifice academic class time for a national secondary postseason tournament (d3 philosophy of emphasizing the "student" in student- athlete something to do with it?).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:38:58 am by deiscanton »

Offline deiscanton

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 27, 2018, 05:04:55 am »
Here is some honorable mention recognition from the outside polls:

1.). UMass-Dartmouth did receive some votes in the d3hoops.com Top 25 this week.

2.). Noontime Sports Top 10 DIII New England teams (just a regional top 10 outside poll-- similar to the top 25 national poll) for Feb. 26, 2018--

1.). Amherst
2.). Tufts
3.). Bowdoin
4.). St. Joe's Maine
5.). U New England
6.). MIT
7.). UMass-Dartmouth
8.) UMass-Boston

9.) Roger Williams
10.) WPI

On the rise:  Husson, Smith, Wesleyan, Westfield State

Source:  noontimesports.com

Offline amh63

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 28, 2018, 11:49:28 am »
7Express....will support your judgement wrt UMass-Dart.  However, they may have been in the same path as UMass-Boston...where Amherst awaits.  Have a classmate that started his career in higher ed. as the Prez of UMass- Boston.

Offline AllStar

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 03, 2018, 01:01:56 am »
St. Joseph's (ME) overcame a 38-25 halftime deficit and defeated UMass-Boston 61-56 at Amherst's LeFrak Gymnasium tonight in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.  With the Beacons' loss, the Little East women's season comes to an end as they were the only team playing in the postseason.

Offline amh63

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 03, 2018, 10:36:32 am »
Watched the first half of the early game in LeFrak...dinner awaited.  Did not see the comeback by the players from Maine.  Was more concerned with the UMass- Boston team wrt the size.
Amherst won big last night in spite of playing everyone and slowing the game down.  Opponent only scored 3 points in the 2nd half and 12 for the entire game.  Amherst is the top defensive team in the nation.  Should be a better matchup tonight.