FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill

Some early thoughts... Union leads 3-0 on a Schaible FG following an interception by #32 Evan Gillard. Curry's punter has TWICE pulled the ball down and ran for a 1st down !!! Kinzelmann not playing.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

Nice video feed by Curry BUT every ten minutes an ad jumps in for 30 seconds and pirates the screen. Anybody else experiencing this?
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

Pretty ugly game.. Union leads Curry 3-0 at the half. Union misses Connor Kinzelmann and has resorted to jet sweeps by the WRs to try to get speed to the outside without much success . Turnovers and penalties on both sides.

unionpalooza

Union survives an ugly effort with a 17-7 win. Some things I think I think:

1.  ECFC refs are just terrible - it's like they collected all the HS ref rejects in New England, employed them, but demanded they drink heavily before each game. 

2.  Curry can definitely ball. After seeing them, Husson, and Curry this season, all thel rumors of growing parity seem to ring true.

3.  Jeff Behrman is definitely a quarterback guru. Nick Cascione's improvement year over year is borderline unfathomable. 

4. Turns out we have a sophomore named Brett Waller who can run the ball with fury. Who knew?

dlippiel

Certainly some penalties today that hurt the U but overall dlip thinks this team is really coming along. Dlip concurs with unionpalozza on all of his points. Union made some big plays when necessary and simply took over the 4th quarter. The Oline once again decided to put the offense on its shoulders and took over the game. Ball possession was excellent and the defense was just outstanding today against an offense that has some very good athletes.

dlip is extremely proud of the players and coaches at Union! He feels they are working their assess off and rebuilding this program. To dlip that speaks volumes!

Bartman

Congrats to Statesmen on sweltering weather win 34-17 against Endicott. Shane Sweeney sets new career completion and yardage records with another 300+ game and 4 TDs, and 2 TD passes to Shed. Still much tuneup work to do but progress on Oline and Defense has been evident since week 1...  we should be prepared  for Ithaca this week

Congrats to Union on the win against Curry, not a masterpiece but a win is a win and the build up in opponent strength has the team ready for the next step.

RPI was looking good at 21-9 at the half then next year's LL member, Buff State makes an impressive recovery with 24 second half points and stays undefeated.

Rochester......you hung in there for a half

Get ready for the real  LL season   ;D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

UfanBill

There was a play late in the Union vs Curry game I'd like to discuss... With only seconds left and Union leading by three, possessing the ball on there own 39 they handed off to backup RB #21 Brett Waller. With the defense crowding the line of scrimmage, Waller broke free and clear for an apparent clinching TD run. BUT NO...As he crossed the goal line with the nearest defender trailing yards behind, while holding the ball in his right arm he raised his left arm above his head. The ref threw a flag for unsportsmanship, apparently believing that Waller was taunting the defense. He did NOT turn back towards the chasing D. He did NOT shake the ball in their direction. He simply raised his arm up. IMO there was no taunting motion whatsoever. Now look, it made no different in the game. After the 15 yard penalty marched back from the four yard line Union simply took a knee and the game ended....What are your thoughts on this? Am I missing something?

dlippiel

From what dlip understands if there is celebration before entering the endzone the TD is nullified and the ball is spotted at the spot of the first sign of celebration. Now the question is was Waller celebrating...which can be subjective. To dlip it looked as if Waller was raising his arms toward the Union fans behind the endzone in celebration of his TD run. Now to dlip, he did not feel the celebration was excessive or even boisterous. UfanBill says correctly that Waller did not look back and taunt the players he ran past.

To dlip if a player running with the ball raising his arms in a celebratory manner is considered unsportsmanlike than Waller is guilty (to dlip).

In fairness to the officials they were absolutely horrible all game. With that being said IDHO they were consistently horrible to both teams. All you can ask for is consistency right? Even if the consistency sizes up to officiating reactions and decisions that dlip's third graders could do a better job at. Dlip is curious about the specifics of the rule and if and when other posters have witnessed officials making these calls.

UfanBill

Here is the video of the play. It happened right at the end of the game at the 01:18:00 mark. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dJ35PhUGEMU

dlippiel

He may have been opening and closing his hand to mock, "talking ****," while running as well. Hand seemed to be horizontal and not pointed to the endzone but possibly gesturing toward the Curry bench. dlip is sure Coach Behrman wasn't pleased with that.

D3viewer

Just a quick addition to the comments about Albany area QBs starting for Upstate/Regional teams. Morrisville's QB is Brandon Gwinner, a 6-3 210 JR who played at Schenectady HS. He had 317 yards of total offense in Morrisville's 44-22 win over Nichols College. The Mustangs host Union next week.

dlippiel

Quote from: D3viewer on September 24, 2017, 06:29:24 PM
Just a quick addition to the comments about Albany area QBs starting for Upstate/Regional teams. Morrisville's QB is Brandon Gwinner, a 6-3 210 JR who played at Schenectady HS. He had 317 yards of total offense in Morrisville's 44-22 win over Nichols College. The Mustangs host Union next week.

Thanks for posting D3! dlip being the Schenectadian, aka Shocktown local that he is will have to follow Gwinner for the rest of his career. It's not often a player from Schenectady High School stars for a D3 college team. What a great accomplishment for Brandon! dlip wishes him  the very best from here on out (maybe with the exception of next week lol)!

Bartman

LAST WEEK:

Hobart               42(34)                Endicott            17(17)     Another alum HC , Kevin DeWall returns and is rebuffed...no ESPN highlight this week
RPI                   28(21)                  Buff St              21(33)      A real battle with the Engineers toughing it out
Rochester           7 (7)                   Alfred                 42(45)      Alfred would have scored more but uses 2nd, 3rd stringers
Union                21(17)                  Curry                14(14)      Curry puts up a fight but Dutchman go to 3-1 and are ready for the LL

My picks 3-1and 3 of 8 on exact point forecast; 16-4 YTD.....Liberty League is 11-8 in OOC games YTD

THIS WEEK:

Hobart               28                       Ithaca              17            Hobart pulls out 4th Quarter first ever win at Butterfield
Union                 24                      Morrisville ST    21            Union plays a full game with intensity and beats an E8 squad , goes 4-1
SLU                   17                      WNE                 14             Larries slug it out against Golden Bears for impressive regional win
Rochester           24                      Becker              17            ROCHESTER WINS! Las Vegas College Football betting is shut down temporarily after win   

Hobart takes over early LL Standings lead from Ithaca
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

UfanBill

Quote from: Bartman on September 25, 2017, 06:18:48 PM
LAST WEEK:

Hobart               42(34)                Endicott            17(17)     Another alum HC , Kevin DeWall returns and is rebuffed...no ESPN highlight this week
RPI                   28(21)                  Buff St              21(33)      A real battle with the Engineers toughing it out
Rochester           7 (7)                   Alfred                 42(45)      Alfred would have scored more but uses 2nd, 3rd stringers
Union                21(17)                  Curry                14(14)      Curry puts up a fight but Dutchman go to 3-1 and are ready for the LL

Liberty League is 11-8 in OOC games YTD

THIS WEEK:

Hobart               28                       Ithaca              17            Hobart pulls out 4th Quarter first ever win at Butterfield
Union                 24                      Morresville ST    21            Union plays a full game with intensity and beats an E8 squad , goes 4-1
SLU                   17                      WNE                 14             Larries slug it out against Golden Bears for impressive regional win
Rochester           24                      Becker              17            ROCHESTER WINS! Las Vegas College Football betting is shut down temporarily after win   

Hobart takes over early LL Standings lead from Ithaca
...Nice job on your picks last week Bartman. That bad 2nd half by RPI surprised most of us, kudos to Buff. St. I'd give you +Karma but I haven't yet earned that privilege (need 200 posts). The LL is 11-8 in OOC games but only 1-6 against the Empire 8. Union gets its chance this week against Mooville in a match-up of 2nd tier teams.

AUPepBand

Let's go Mooville!!! Pep's alma mater is much better than the 2016 disappointing season. Let's go Mustangs!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!