Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Heys

First time this season - Sweep Weekend in the SCIAC
La Verne over Pomona
Redlands over Oxy
Chapman over CMS
Whittier over Cal Tech

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Purple Heys on April 15, 2018, 10:51:04 AM
La Verne over Pomona
Redlands over Oxy
Chapman over CMS
Whittier over Cal Tech

Only one that surprised me was Pomona getting swept by La Verne.

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 15, 2018, 12:11:11 PM
La Verne over Pomona
Redlands over Oxy
Chapman over CMS
Whittier over Cal Tech

Yeah that is uh.... not ideal.

Went into the weekend tied with ULV, you have to pick up at least a game in that situation. Especially given that they still have to play Redlands.

Silver lining is that they pulled out an insane win Sunday against Pac Lu to get some momentum back and are facing Oxy after they just had a rough 0-3 weekend themselves.

Check out the PP-PLU box score: http://www.sagehens.com/sports/bsb/2017-18/boxscores/20180415_zopk.xml, especially the ninth and tenth innings.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on April 18, 2018, 02:49:28 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 15, 2018, 12:11:11 PM
La Verne over Pomona
Redlands over Oxy
Chapman over CMS
Whittier over Cal Tech

Yeah that is uh.... not ideal.

Went into the weekend tied with ULV, you have to pick up at least a game in that situation. Especially given that they still have to play Redlands.

Silver lining is that they pulled out an insane win Sunday against Pac Lu to get some momentum back and are facing Oxy after they just had a rough 0-3 weekend themselves.

Check out the PP-PLU box score: http://www.sagehens.com/sports/bsb/2017-18/boxscores/20180415_zopk.xml, especially the ninth and tenth innings.

It's too bad the video ends in the 9th inning.

Mike Lehman

April 22, 2018

Redlands and La Verne have secured 2 of the 4 spots for the SCIAC tournament. Last 2 spots will be decided next weekend.

http://www.thesciac.org/sports/bsb/2017-18/standings

Purple Heys

Hell did not quite freeze over yesterday, but it experienced a significant drop in temperature as Whittier pulled to within a game of 4th position in the SCIAC standings.  Had the Poets been able to complete the sweep vs CMS they would have jumped into 4th over Chapman by virtue of the tiebreaker.

None of that matters until the final count comes in next weekend, and the Poets certainly have a task in front of them with La Verne...but WC playing meaningful games the last week of the season is really them playing with house money at this point; the only expectations this team has is to play hard, have fun, and see what happens.

Purple Heys

Tiebreaker
Whittier over Chapman

Pomona over Whittier
Pomona over Chapman

Oxy over Pomona
Oxy over Whittier

Chapman and Oxy play next weekend
Pomona plays Redlands
Whittier plays La Verne

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Purple Heys on April 22, 2018, 09:43:07 PM
Tiebreaker
Whittier over Chapman

Pomona over Whittier
Pomona over Chapman

Oxy over Pomona
Oxy over Whittier

Pomona plays Redlands
Whittier plays La Verne

As crazy as it seems, there is another purple team that can sneak it's way into the 4th seed.  It would take a sweep over CMS and a lot of help up top, but crazier things have happened.  The one negative is they only have a tie-breaker with Pomona and Oxy.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 22, 2018, 11:58:46 PM
Tiebreaker
Whittier over Chapman
Whittier over Cal Lu

Pomona over Whittier
Pomona over Chapman

Oxy over Pomona
Oxy over Whittier

Cal Lu over Pomona
Cal Lu over Oxy

Chapman over Cal Lu

Pomona plays Redlands
Whittier plays La Verne
Cal Lu plays CMS

As crazy as it seems, there is another purple team that can sneak it's way into the 4th seed.  It would take a sweep over CMS and a lot of help up top, but crazier things have happened.  The one negative is they only have a tie-breaker with Pomona and Oxy.
Fixed it.

My bad, should never have overlooked CLU.  In my excitement for the Poets’ current position, I did not look there...no disrespect intended.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Purple Heys on April 23, 2018, 12:08:01 AM
Tiebreaker
Whittier over Chapman
Whittier over Cal Lu

Pomona over Whittier
Pomona over Chapman

Oxy over Pomona
Oxy over Whittier

Cal Lu over Pomona
Cal Lu over Oxy

Chapman over Cal Lu

Pomona plays Redlands
Whittier plays La Verne
Cal Lu plays CMS

Fixed it.

My bad, should never have overlooked CLU.  In my excitement for the Poets' current position, I did not look there...no disrespect intended.

+1 for fixing
+2 for "my bad" admission
+3 for excitement regarding Poets

Total = +6

SoCalSoxFan

Tiebreaker
Whittier over Chapman

Pomona over Whittier
Pomona over Chapman

Oxy over Pomona
Oxy over Whittier

Pomona plays Redlands
Whittier plays La Verne

I was more than surprised to hear this... but it ends up being Mathematically accurate.

"So you're saying there's a chance"!!
CLU sweeps CMS (leaving CLU 13-11)
Redlands win at least 2 of 3 from Pomona (leaving Pomona 13-11)
Chapman win at least 1 of 3 from Occi (leaving Occi 13-11)
Laverne win at least 2 of 3 from Whittier (leaving Whittier 12-12)

My assumption is that if CLU has individual tiebreaker over Pomona and Occi, they would have tiebreaker in 3 way tie.
And, IF Redlands, Chapman and Laverne all do better than the above... it opens up CLU to also end up in 3 way tie breaker with 12 losses with one loss to CMS.

As far as those that have clinched:
- Redlands and Laverne should both be motivated to win first place and home field in playoffs..  They are tied heading into this weekend; with Laverne having the tie breaker.

Purple Heys

Previewing the upcoming SCIAC Weekend Series'

CLU v CMS: CLU playing for their playoff lives; CMS playing to say they beat the defending Champs

Redlands v Pomona:  Redlands playing for Home Field advantage; Pomona playing for their playoff lives

Chapman v Oxy:  Both playing for their playoff lives

La Verne v Whittier:  La Verne playing for Home Field advantage; Whittier playing for their playoff lives

Jack Parkman

SCIAC Tournament is all set.

1. La Verne
2. Redlands
3. Chapman
4. Pomona

Pomona comes in going 2-8 in their last 10 and they really benefited from Cal Lu failing to win 2/3 from CMS. 
Chapman has been playing really well lately but I feel like Cosby as a starter is their only weakness right now. 
La Verne is nothing fancy, just a bunch of grinders. 
Redlands will go as far as their starting pitching goes.  Redlands has spit almost 70% of their innings between 4 arms.  If any of their starters get in trouble it will be really tough on them. 

Cal Lu showed you can go far with a little bit of pitching, but I don't think many schools will try and go that route.

I would say the tourney is pretty even in the top 3, with Pomona just being happy to be there.  Tough day for a lot of seniors out there, with their careers coming to an end.  Hope they all do all in their post-baseball life.

Purple Heys

Proud of the Poets' season.  They battled to the end but could not overtake La Verne.  I am especially proud of how they finished...In Game 3, having lost the first 2 games of the series (and knowing they were eliminated from 4th place contention), La Verne erupted for 7 1st inning runs.  Whittier was clearly shell shocked.  They could have packed it in and nobody would have given it much thought other than "that's Whittier".  La Verne needed this game because they were battling for Home Field advantage, they would not be taking their foot off the gas.  The Leos were thinking Mercy Rule (most everyone in the stands sure were).

But these Whittier young men had something different in them.  They clawed back over the next 6 innings and made it a 7-6 game.  Whittier had two cracks with the tying run on first in the 8th, but could not breakthrough.  La Verne was clearly the better team, well deserving of their SCIAC Title.

The Whittier performance in Game 3 showed character and grit.  I see that as a tribute to the Coaches and Seniors, and the way the whole team believed in each other and played for one another.  This team sacked up and battled toe to toe every game.  They weren't always the most talented team on the field, but they often got more out of their talent than their opponents.

To paraphrase the good Doctor:  I may be a bit sad it's over, but I am really glad it happened!

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 28, 2018, 09:50:11 PM
SCIAC Tournament is all set.

1. La Verne
2. Redlands
3. Chapman
4. Pomona

Pomona comes in going 2-8 in their last 10 and they really benefited from Cal Lu failing to win 2/3 from CMS. 
Chapman has been playing really well lately but I feel like Cosby as a starter is their only weakness right now. 
La Verne is nothing fancy, just a bunch of grinders. 
Redlands will go as far as their starting pitching goes.  Redlands has spit almost 70% of their innings between 4 arms.  If any of their starters get in trouble it will be really tough on them. 

Cal Lu showed you can go far with a little bit of pitching, but I don't think many schools will try and go that route.

I would say the tourney is pretty even in the top 3, with Pomona just being happy to be there.  Tough day for a lot of seniors out there, with their careers coming to an end.  Hope they all do all in their post-baseball life.

Pomona certainly backed their way into the tournament. All four teams clamoring for the fourth tournament spot dropped both games of their doubleheaders on Saturday (most surprisingly CLU to CMS), and that gave the Hens the spot.

As you said, La Verne is a bunch of grinders, and I think Redlands must be miffed to have to play Chapman in the first round. Certainly Pomona is just happy to be playing this weekend, but they can absolutely make a run if they get some good innings from their starters.

And while it was disappointing for the teams in the middle of the pack to drop so many games this weekend, I think it really solidified Redlands, ULV, and Chapman's places in the regional rankings. Depending on how things work out across the country, there may even be an outside shot at two Pool C bids from the SCIAC. At the least, I think Redlands has to feel fairly confident, and I think Chapman has a strong case if they don't go two and done this weekend. ULV might have a tougher road, but a strong showing could be enough.