BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Oshdude,

Nice complete list!!  Lot of UW Osh dudes made it to the majors... GREAT PROGRAM there.  what do you think is unique about the program at UWO that so many players made it to the majors??

Great post

Back to the student populations at UW campuses, 13K is considered petty good size, at least from D-III east coast standpoint.  I think ECSU has around 5k now, our land grant state university, UCONN ,15 miles north, I think around 17K

OshDude

Quote from: ECSUalum on May 31, 2008, 03:22:01 PM
Oshdude,

Nice complete list!!  Lot of UW Osh dudes made it to the majors... GREAT PROGRAM there.  what do you think is unique about the program at UWO that so many players made it to the majors??

Great post

Back to the student populations at UW campuses, 13K is considered petty good size, at least from D-III east coast standpoint.  I think ECSU has around 5k now, our land grant state university, UCONN ,15 miles north, I think around 17K
Before utilitycat17 has a fit, I must place this disclaimer: Many, if not most, of these players did not play for D-III programs in their times.

Not sure why Oshkosh was the undisputed best in our area for so long. That's certainly not the case since Bloom took over at Stevens Point and Vodenlich went to Whitewater. St. Olaf and St. Thomas have almost always been good, but for the longest time I'm assuming Oshkosh got all the best players and had the best coaching.

Oshkosh is actually larger (much larger in many cases) than all but two Wisconsin schools. I think only Madison and Milwaukee are larger in terms of enrollment. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think UWO is about the same size as Marquette. It should be noted that UW-Green Bay, a D-I school that doesn't field all big sports, is tiny.

ECSUalum

Yea I saw Utilitycat's post!!!

Some people can get a little anal on the site  ;)

dukes

Total undergraduates full time(main campus) (Cost is for Tuition ONLY based on a full schedule and In state residence. These numbers may not be most up to day, or accurate, but probably pretty close. I thought it was interesting for the Midwest regional, and I would be interested in seeing it for more schools/regions.

Oshkosh              8,909 students       $5693
Whitewater         8,950  students      $5860
Stevens Point      7,865  students      $5834
Carthage             2,148 students      $25,000
St. Scholastica     1,963 students       $24,990
St. Thomas          5,142 students       $26,274

OshDude

Quote from: dukes on May 31, 2008, 05:59:06 PM
Total undergraduates full time(main campus) (Cost is for Tuition ONLY based on a full schedule and In state residence. These numbers may not be most up to day, or accurate, but probably pretty close. I thought it was interesting for the Midwest regional, and I would be interested in seeing it for more schools/regions.

Oshkosh              8,909 students       $5693
Whitewater         8,950  students      $5860
Stevens Point      7,865  students      $5834
Carthage             2,148 students      $25,000
St. Scholastica     1,963 students       $24,990
St. Thomas          5,142 students       $26,274
You wrote that the info is not up-to-date. I can only speak of UWO, but the undergrad headcount is now about 10,000 and climbing. Thankfully for me, the in-state tuition (and Minnesota reciprocity) is close. FYI: Out-of-state tuition is about $13,000, which directly relates to UWO's high in-state (plus MN) percentage.

In 2006 UWO had fewer than 300 out-of-state plus international undergrads. One of them could even throw a baseball really well ;). Good post.

dukes

I agree some of the numbers are up to date, but I think it is a pretty interesting thing anyway. Overally I guess it just impresses me how small, expensive schools must do a good job of recruiting for their programs to consistently be that good. For Carthage and CSS, and even St. Thomas, it is another hurdle in recruiting to know you have to convince a family, and a kid, that it is worth an extra $20,000+ per year. I know some academic scholarships are available and what not, but still.

Food for thought...

frank uible

Try Ray Mack and Dal Maxvill - both engineering students and both up for a lot more than a cup of coffee.

Ralph Turner

Baseball Almanac-Major Leaguers by Alma Mater

Here is a great reference for baseball historians.   :)

Name the Columbia alumnus who replaced the Catholic alum at first base!  ;)

Pat Coleman

Yep. Greatest baseball player in Catholic U. history is pretty easy to call.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BoBo

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 31, 2008, 10:57:46 PM
Baseball Almanac-

Oh, come now Ralph...can't we get a little more difficult than that? I imagine more than a few of these young whipper-snappers on here knows the name Walter Clement Pipp and that obscure guy from Columbia, Lou something or other!!  ;)

I say, really test us with a hard one!!
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

OshDude

Much easier way to do it ... thanks. Any chance D-III guys founded that site?

Definitely nice to have a searchable predraft (baseball, not military lol) database, but there were a few on the other site that were not on this one. The sheer depth of the Almanac is sweet. I forgot all about that site. I had moved to the Cube in recent years.

mr_b

I hadn't logged on to that site in quite a while.  It's a wonderful resource, and very easy to navigate.  Is the college alum section limited to certain types of institutions (e.g., DI or NAIA)?  The college list did not include small colleges for players such as Jim Northrup (Alma College, probably NAIA at the time) and Doug Rader (Illinois Wesleyan, also NAIA when he played there), but their alma maters (almae matres?) were given on their individual pages.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mr_b on June 01, 2008, 09:10:16 AM

I hadn't logged on to that site in quite a while.  It's a wonderful resource, and very easy to navigate.  Is the college alum section limited to certain types of institutions (e.g., DI or NAIA)?  The college list did not include small colleges for players such as Jim Northrup (Alma College, probably NAIA at the time) and Doug Rader (Illinois Wesleyan, also NAIA when he played there), but their alma maters (almae matres?) were given on their individual pages.
I think that Baseball Almanac would accept documented additions to their database!  I see NAIA schools on there now, e.g., Azusa Pacific and Oklahoma City University.

ECSUalum

Unless I missed something, I sent ECSU players not listed

Osh dude, were all the UWO MLB boys in the data base?

Ralph, thanks for posting this!! :)

OshDude

Quote from: ECSUalum on June 01, 2008, 09:14:30 PM
Unless I missed something, I sent ECSU players not listed

Osh dude, were all the UWO MLB boys in the data base?

Ralph, thanks for posting this!! :)
All there.