MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Buc Forever

Just because Whitman is great now, does not mean Whitworth is worse.  Bridgeland has made Whitman as good, or better than he made UPS.  Hayford made Whitworth on the same level that Whitman is now for his last five years. However, he was not beating UPS when Bridgeland was there.  Logie was beating Bridgeland for several years. Not sure Hayford would have done much better these last couple years. In my opinion, there is not much difference between what Hayford and Logie accomplished at Whitworth. Yes, Hayford built it up (but it wasn't a bad program before). But it is hard to come in and keep a top program at the top like Logie did. The difference between Whitworth now and 5 years ago, besides Whitman being a little better, is probably a difference in how the teams gelled. Let's be honest, this team underachieved.   That is more on the players than the coaches IMHO.

As for the new coach, we'll see.  The talent is there. Maybe he can get this team to play at little higher level with the addition of a key piece or two.  I like the idea of giving a smart assistant a shot rather than hiring a retread from somewhere else. Also got to give him credit for demanding the coach in-waiting deal and not having to deal with competition when he got the job. So far he's been smart.

stag44

Any updates on how the NWC is looking this year?

CMS is coming up next week to play Fox and Whitworth - excited for the early season test for the Stags!

BluesBrother

Quote from: stag44 on November 01, 2019, 11:22:17 PM
Any updates on how the NWC is looking this year?

CMS is coming up next week to play Fox and Whitworth - excited for the early season test for the Stags!

I'm planning to tune into the action in Spokane this weekend. Should be a nice glimpse at two of the likely challengers to Whitman's NWC supremacy. I'll be rooting for CMS to extend it's winning streak vs Whitworth!

I haven't seen a preseason NWC poll, but I'd imagine Whitman will be the unanimous pick to repeat as conference champs despite losing seven seniors. They had so much depth last year that just the returners are probably strong enough to win the conference, and I know at least of couple of the newcomers have impressed in practice.

That said, the Blues don't appear to be as deep, and aside from Duckett, Vickers, and Osborne, it's not clear who the go-to options are going to be on the offensive end. It's been three years since Whitman lost a regular season game in the NWC...I'm guessing that streak comes to an end this year.

A Buc Forever

UPS and Willamette had  games against DI teams last night. Not sure what these games against upper division teams says about how a DIII will be in league, but it is nice to have the teams hang with them.  UPS got blown out by Portland State in the first half and played them even in the second.  Sounds like Portland overwhelmed Willamette. Seems like encouraging news for UPS and a little worrisome for Willamette.

A Buc Forever

http://www.goseattleu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18200&ATCLID=211815967

Pacific had a good showing against Seattle University. SU had to use their big man to take over the game.  No one like him in the NWC.  If Pacific can play like this throughout the season they will make some noise in the NWC.

This was Hayford's 400th win.

BluesBrother

Nice start to the season for Whitworth. I missed the win over St. Thomas, but caught the CMS win and Whitworth looked solid. Their guards are excellent and based on the St. Thomas box score it looks like they were the driving force behind that win. If Hernandez, Lester, and College keep shooting like that, the Pirates will be tough to beat.

Speaking of shooting, Whitman shot well in their opener against Montclair St, but terribly against St. Thomas and not great against Cal Lutheran. I hope/assume they'll shoot better moving forward, but it's something to watch after losing Butler, Hewett, Stewart, and Jacobs-Jones, all of whom were high percentage shooters. Duckett in particular is one to watch on that front, as he's a high volume shooter and has gone cold the last couple games.

Kirkley has burst out of the gate averaging 21 on 66% shooting. He's a physically tough player with great body control in the lane and adds an element of what the Blues lost with Hewett. He and Vickers look like a formidable 1-2 punch.

As for newcomers, Trifunovic seems to be the one to watch, averaging 8 per game.

Should be a fun season. Guessing Whitworth will be vaulting up the next top 25 poll.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The 2019-20 season started a month ago. Already there has been plenty to talk about with still three months of regular season basketball to be played. And just as things got rolling on the court, now is also a time when we see things slow down for finals and the holiday break.

On Monday's special edition of Hoopsville, Dave chats with a few teams who are off to pretty good starts in the opening month. Some maybe surprising and others with still plenty of questions to be asked.

How good is Baldwin Wallace women and how hard with the OAC be this season? Are the Edgewood women as good as their incredible 9-0 start leads one to believe? And Whitworth men technically have a new coach at the helm, but is this the same Pirates program we've gotten used to over the years?

Plus, we react to what should be brand new men's and women's Top 25 polls.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Cheri Harrer, No. 20 Baldwin Wallace women's coach
- Chaia Huff, Edgewood women's head coach
- Damion Jablonski, No. 20 Whitworth men's coach
- Bob Quillman, Top 25 Double-Take

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Monday's show LIVE with the following options:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/dec9 or http://bit.ly/2PrIkwY
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on iHeartRadio, Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BluesBrother

It's shaping up to be a three team race, with Whitman, Whitworth, and Linfield all sitting at 4-0.

Whitman is finally healthy* and looked as good as they have all year this weekend. Playing Willamette and Lewis & Clark has a way of making you look good, but it was encouraging seeing them look cohesive on defense and efficient on offense. The shooting was very encouraging, especially seeing Osborne emerge from his mini-slump to light it up two night in a row.

If the Whits can take care of business in Oregon next weekend their matchup in Spokane the following Tuesday will be huge.

*Duckett went down with an apparent leg injury in the first half tonight. It didn't appear serious, so hopefully they kept him out purely as a precautionary measure.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: BluesBrother on January 12, 2020, 01:15:01 AM
It's shaping up to be a three team race, with Whitman, Whitworth, and Linfield all sitting at 4-0.

Whitman is finally healthy* and looked as good as they have all year this weekend. Playing Willamette and Lewis & Clark has a way of making you look good, but it was encouraging seeing them look cohesive on defense and efficient on offense. The shooting was very encouraging, especially seeing Osborne emerge from his mini-slump to light it up two night in a row.

If the Whits can take care of business in Oregon next weekend their matchup in Spokane the following Tuesday will be huge.

*Duckett went down with an apparent leg injury in the first half tonight. It didn't appear serious, so hopefully they kept him out purely as a precautionary measure.

Do we know the status of Isaiah Hernandez?  If he's not coming back, that changes a lot of things for the NWC picture.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

89Pirate

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 12, 2020, 11:55:30 AM
Quote from: BluesBrother on January 12, 2020, 01:15:01 AM

Do we know the status of Isaiah Hernandez?  If he's not coming back, that changes a lot of things for the NWC picture.

I talked to Isaiah Saturday night after the game.  He says he has been released and will be back on the court this weekend in Oregon.

The 21st and 24th will be big games in the Fieldhouse for sure!  A lot is at stake that weekend, even in Walla Walla on the 25th.

D O.C.

Gee, checked in on the L&C-LINFIELD game in the 4th quarter this Friday night.
11-3
5-0
This is more like it.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Not only was Isaiah Hernandez back, but he played an excellent game and really made the difference for Whitworth.  College was not hitting early and Hernandez hit four clutch FTs down the stretch.  I'm glad I didn't drop Whitworth entirely out of my ballot.  I was counting on Hernandez being back and while they still need some adjustments, it does appear Whitworth is the class of the NWC this season.

(Cue a Whitman win on Tuesday).

A Buc Forever

Hoops Fan,

Had to smite that bad karma statement that WW is the class of the league.  Too early to say that with two undefeated teams still left. WW looks great, but some dumb fouls down the stretch.  Looks like a great 3-way battle at this point. Fox looked good. Very active. They are a step below the top 3, but will give all three teams a go it when they meet up.  Maybe tonight they will give WM a run for their money.  We'll see.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 18, 2020, 10:04:21 AM

Not only was Isaiah Hernandez back, but he played an excellent game and really made the difference for Whitworth.  College was not hitting early and Hernandez hit four clutch FTs down the stretch.  I'm glad I didn't drop Whitworth entirely out of my ballot.  I was counting on Hernandez being back and while they still need some adjustments, it does appear Whitworth is the class of the NWC this season.

(Cue a Whitman win on Tuesday).

It's a frustrating kind of magic, but it's magic nonetheless.