FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Was in Lagrange camping over the weekend. Took the ti.e to visit campus. It's very nice from the outside. Compact, great looking signature architecture. Really a nice looking campus including the gymnasium. Didn't see a stadium and i think i remember them playing at a municipal stadium, but otherwise I was impressed.

I was even more impressed by the food at Venucci's in downtown. Really, really good and reasonably priced Italian, and i grew up in NJ and lived in Manhattan for years, so I'm picky about Italian food. This was fantastic. Would highly recommend if you are in town for a game.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on June 10, 2019, 04:42:35 PM
... and i think i remember them playing at a municipal stadium, but otherwise I was impressed.

Callaway Stadium is about 0.5 miles south of the campus.

jknezek

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 10, 2019, 05:05:42 PM
... and i think i remember them playing at a municipal stadium, but otherwise I was impressed.

Everything is named Callaway down there after the old Callaway Mills and Family. We've been to Callaway Gardens and my parents visited the Callaway historical center. About half the buildings are Callaway as well. They were the only thing going in the area for 100 years, but they did a lot of philanthropy as well so I guess they earned it.

Wild Horse Rider

I have been an avid reader of the USA South board since the beginning.  I am going to get off the bench and get into the game.  Here are my uneducated guesses/observations heading into the 2019 season:

1. Averett should be considered the favorite heading into this season.  They are returning the most All-Conference performers (7 I believe) including the QB.  Coach Adams has done a tremendous job since taking the head spot.

2. Maryville and Huntingdon will follow the Cougars closely for the crown.  Both have established head coaches with a track record for success.  The Scots brings back 5 All-Conference players and should have one of the better defenses in the USAC.  The Hawks return an All-Conference QB and their offense will likely be the top in the league again.

3. Now we get to the log jam.  In alphabetical order Brevard, LaGrange, Methodist, and NCWC could compete with the top three on any given Saturday but will likely finish 4-7 in the standings but I have a hard time saying where.  Brevard brings back their offensive ROY in their QB.  LaGrange brings back their starting QB and some talent at WR.  Methodist brings back the offensive POY in their RB.  NCWC appears to have been hit hard by graduation but they typically have athletes in the cupboard who will be able to replace them.

4. Sorry but someone has to finish last and unless there is a major turnaround it will be the Pride of Greensboro.

There are a few teams with some interesting non-conference games on the slate.
Maryville will play #16 ranked (d3dootball.com) Berry and #20 ranked Centre
Huntingdon will travel to Wisconsin to play Oshkosh
Averett will play #24 ranked Randolph Macon, perennial conference top dog Hampden-Sydney, and Ferrum (who returns one of the best running backs in the nation in Mann

I believe that there is not much to gain from comparison scoring but it is still fun for fun sake
Brevard, Greensboro, and LaGrange will all play Apprentice
Methodist and NCWC will play Shenandoah
Huntingdon and Methodist both play Guilford
Huntingdon and LaGrange both play Birmingham Southern
Averett and Greensboro both play Ferrum
LaGrange and Marryville both play Berry

And as usual the USAC vs ODAC non-conference tournament will occur.  The ODAC has dominated the crossover in recent years.  Last year the ODAC took 5 out of 6 with 2 games canceled due to the hurricane.  If I did my research correct you have to go back to 2005 to find a winning record for the USAC with 6 out of 7 going in favor of the USAC.  Three of those teams are no longer in the conference (CNU, Ferrum, & Shenandoah) and 2 are in the ODAC now.  There are 10 opportunities this season with the highlight stated above being Averett vs Randolph-Macon.  This should be the two preseason favorites and last season in Ashland it was a 3 point game in the 4th quarter.  On paper the game looked fairly evenly matched. 

I hope everyone has great success in the non conference slate and a great 2019. 

GO MONARCHS!

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Wild Horse Rider on August 14, 2019, 09:54:10 AM
I have been an avid reader of the USA South board since the beginning.  I am going to get off the bench and get into the game.  Here are my uneducated guesses/observations heading into the 2019 season:

1. Averett should be considered the favorite heading into this season.  They are returning the most All-Conference performers (7 I believe) including the QB.  Coach Adams has done a tremendous job since taking the head spot.

2. Maryville and Huntingdon will follow the Cougars closely for the crown.  Both have established head coaches with a track record for success.  The Scots brings back 5 All-Conference players and should have one of the better defenses in the USAC.  The Hawks return an All-Conference QB and their offense will likely be the top in the league again.

3. Now we get to the log jam.  In alphabetical order Brevard, LaGrange, Methodist, and NCWC could compete with the top three on any given Saturday but will likely finish 4-7 in the standings but I have a hard time saying where.  Brevard brings back their offensive ROY in their QB.  LaGrange brings back their starting QB and some talent at WR.  Methodist brings back the offensive POY in their RB.  NCWC appears to have been hit hard by graduation but they typically have athletes in the cupboard who will be able to replace them.

4. Sorry but someone has to finish last and unless there is a major turnaround it will be the Pride of Greensboro.

There are a few teams with some interesting non-conference games on the slate.
Maryville will play #16 ranked (d3dootball.com) Berry and #20 ranked Centre
Huntingdon will travel to Wisconsin to play Oshkosh
Averett will play #24 ranked Randolph Macon, perennial conference top dog Hampden-Sydney, and Ferrum (who returns one of the best running backs in the nation in Mann

I believe that there is not much to gain from comparison scoring but it is still fun for fun sake
Brevard, Greensboro, and LaGrange will all play Apprentice
Methodist and NCWC will play Shenandoah
Huntingdon and Methodist both play Guilford
Huntingdon and LaGrange both play Birmingham Southern
Averett and Greensboro both play Ferrum
LaGrange and Marryville both play Berry

And as usual the USAC vs ODAC non-conference tournament will occur.  The ODAC has dominated the crossover in recent years.  Last year the ODAC took 5 out of 6 with 2 games canceled due to the hurricane.  If I did my research correct you have to go back to 2005 to find a winning record for the USAC with 6 out of 7 going in favor of the USAC.  Three of those teams are no longer in the conference (CNU, Ferrum, & Shenandoah) and 2 are in the ODAC now.  There are 10 opportunities this season with the highlight stated above being Averett vs Randolph-Macon.  This should be the two preseason favorites and last season in Ashland it was a 3 point game in the 4th quarter.  On paper the game looked fairly evenly matched. 

I hope everyone has great success in the non conference slate and a great 2019. 

GO MONARCHS!

Good synopsis!

Ralph Turner

Hawks88

Huntingdon had 126 players report today, 71 returning players and 55 newcomers.

Ready for some football!

Go Hawks!

Scots13

#16 Berry, #20 Centre and (waiting for Kickoff) a much improved Hanover.
Might be another tough OOC year for my boys.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Wild Horse Rider

Scots I am really hoping for a good non-conference showing from Maryville as it will do nothing but improve the conferences national perception.  I also really think that Huntingdon trip to Wisconsin will help if they can return south with a W.

Hawks88

Eh, forgot my Kickoff password. Waiting for the reset email so that my afternoon productivity can approach zero.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Hawks88 on August 20, 2019, 02:32:14 PM
Eh, forgot my Kickoff password. Waiting for the reset email so that my afternoon productivity can approach zero.

Presto's password reset doesn't work very well. Drop me an email instead?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Hawks88

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 20, 2019, 02:42:29 PM

Will do. Thanks, Pat.

CNU85

and when it works, it calls you names!

wally_wabash

Quote from: Hawks88 on August 20, 2019, 03:04:29 PM

Will do. Thanks, Pat.

Literally a Presto change-o. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

hasanova

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 10, 2019, 05:05:42 PM

I stopped at LaGrange two years ago to look around ... I couldn't find the football stadium either!  Now I know.