WBB: Little East

Started by Allen M. Karon, March 09, 2004, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: 7express on February 20, 2019, 06:23:52 PM
I know Boston's loss last night wasn't included in this week's rankings but I'm very surprised Boston stayed in the rankings at #12 despite losing twice whereabouts Dartmouth wins twice including over #12 Boston but DROPS in the rankings.  Something doesn't seem right.

And how bad is the Northeast region that a team that is 17-6, #12, last on the board, loses twice yet still remains in the rankings??  They've got to have someone better don't they??

You can't look at rankings at just how two teams do. There are so many moving parts. Data is constantly changing. SOS, vRRO, WL%, etc. And this time of year, losses are far more prevalent due to end of season pushes and conference tournaments. If you look at what else is changing, who is moving in and out of rankings - along with who is moving up and down (affecting vRRO), plus other items, you will see how teams can drop when winning and stay the same despite losing.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

7express

Barring a huge second half turnaround Dartmouth, a 71-65 winner over RIC will be playing Eastern tomorrow for the right to go dancing.  Eastern currently up on USM at the half 44-21 😳🤦🏻‍♂️

7express

Eastern beats Southern Maine by about 35 to play Dartmouth for the title on Saturday.  I think the loser ends up just missing out on a tourney spot so this looks to be a winner take all game.

ECSUalum

Congrats to the ECSU women for a wonderful season, and the LEC Championship, especially as they did it with substantial minutes from a bunch of very special freshman players!  Anna Berry et al will be huge for Eastern in the next 3 years!!  Special shout out to Mya Villard who was outstanding all year!!

ronk

Saw Anna Barry play a few times in AAU 2 seasons ago; thought she'd be a factor in D3.
Bad NCAA experience for Scranton with ECSU and Coach Bierly 4 years ago; wouldn't mind skipping the opportunity to play them again in the 1st weekend this year.

7express

For the second straight year Dartmouth shoots itself in the foot in the LEC championship game against a team it had beaten twice during the regular season.  Last year I think they had better numbers and missed will definitely be a stressful 36 hours or so for the Corsairs.  I'm guessing they do not make the cut again this year.  Tufts/Bowdoin loser will get 1 in the region, Amherst will get a second.  St. Joes will likely be next up and should get a bid.  I doubt Middlebury drops below Dartmouth in the next rankings (they were 6 last week, Dartmouth was 8) and they will be next in line.  I think that's where the cut off in the region is.  In the Pool C thread I said the region gets 3 pool C bids and I'm sticking to that: the NESCAC final loser, Amherst & St. Joes.  I'm guessing Dartmouth isn't even at the table for consideration as I see Middlebury as the team up when selecton ends.

AllStar

It will be interesting to see where they put Eastern in the field.  Dartmouth has to sweat it out again.

SidelineHero

Quote from: 7express on February 23, 2019, 11:21:47 PM
For the second straight year Dartmouth shoots itself in the foot in the LEC championship game against a team it had beaten twice during the regular season.  Last year I think they had better numbers and missed will definitely be a stressful 36 hours or so for the Corsairs.  I'm guessing they do not make the cut again this year.  Tufts/Bowdoin loser will get 1 in the region, Amherst will get a second.  St. Joes will likely be next up and should get a bid.  I doubt Middlebury drops below Dartmouth in the next rankings (they were 6 last week, Dartmouth was 8) and they will be next in line.  I think that's where the cut off in the region is.  In the Pool C thread I said the region gets 3 pool C bids and I'm sticking to that: the NESCAC final loser, Amherst & St. Joes.  I'm guessing Dartmouth isn't even at the table for consideration as I see Middlebury as the team up when selecton ends.

I disagree with you saying that UMassD shot themselves in the foot.  This loss falls squarely and unequivocally at the feet of the referees in this game and one in particular that I will not single out. If you watched the game in it's entirety then you know which Ref I am referring to.  You don't make a call every trip down the floor.  It was so bad that the other Ref's were speaking to this Ref, asking to calm down on the calls as this was a playoff game.  East Conn is a great team and they capitalized but they did not win this game without external help.  Dartmouth did noting to lose this game.

Saint Josephs lost and will drop like a rock in the Regional Rankings.  They may drop right out as their strength of schedule.  Smith and Middlebury also lost as well as Babson.  UMassD has a chance and it would be good to see two teams from the LEC get into the tourney.  The LEC is really becoming a strong conference, worthy of being a two team entrant.

ECSUalum

This ref you refer to made some pretty crappy calls against Eastern as well so he was an equal craportunity ref!  Eastern's played good D and scored enough to beat Dartmouth!  The Dartmouth coach and bench looked like spoiled brats as ECSU players received their medals, ie not one clap for the Warriors!  Show some sportsmanship!

SidelineHero

Quote from: ECSUalum on February 25, 2019, 10:55:35 AM
This ref you refer to made some pretty crappy calls against Eastern as well so he was an equal craportunity ref!  Eastern's played good D and scored enough to beat Dartmouth!  The Dartmouth coach and bench looked like spoiled brats as ECSU players received their medals, ie not one clap for the Warriors!  Show some sportsmanship!

We are in agreement on how the end of the game played out.  Both teams should have lined up after the game.  Dartmouth players definitely did not take the loss well and it showed.  I was not referring to the same ref you are referring to.  Eastern did play good D.  Absolutely was max effort out of both teams.  The Refs fouled out too many players and made a call every trip down the floor.  They need to understand that this is the playoffs at the college level.  They treated this game like a regular season high school game.  Mya V is an amazing player BTW. I love watching her play.  She seems like a great person as well.

7express

Welp just as I predicted Dartmouth is stranded at the alter for the second straight year.  Sucks, but you beat them twice during the season, and are playing at home, win the damn game!  It was pretty apparent from where they were in the rankings that there was no way this conference was getting a pool C entrant into the field.  Too bad we'll likely never know how far into it the Middlebury selection was because as I correctly pointed out I had Mid sandwiched between the Joes Monks and Dartmouth (or maybe it was vice versa??) I'm guessing neither got selected until late in the process with whoever was lower between the Monks and Mid Panthers likely one of the last teams in the field.  I had my region cut off line at Middlebury (3 pool C's for the region) and they took Mid, so it was likely a last 2 or 3 team.  It's very possible the Monks loss in the GNAC title game kept the Corsairs out.  Not saying they still take 4 region teams, but if everything else plays out the way it does suddenly opens up an extra pool C for the region which would've probably been Dartmouth but both Smith & Babson were in front as well, and we might not ever know what the final regional rankings were.

SidelineHero

Quote from: 7express on February 25, 2019, 04:22:08 PM
Welp just as I predicted Dartmouth is stranded at the alter for the second straight year.  Sucks, but you beat them twice during the season, and are playing at home, win the damn game!  It was pretty apparent from where they were in the rankings that there was no way this conference was getting a pool C entrant into the field.  Too bad we'll likely never know how far into it the Middlebury selection was because as I correctly pointed out I had Mid sandwiched between the Joes Monks and Dartmouth (or maybe it was vice versa??) I'm guessing neither got selected until late in the process with whoever was lower between the Monks and Mid Panthers likely one of the last teams in the field.  I had my region cut off line at Middlebury (3 pool C's for the region) and they took Mid, so it was likely a last 2 or 3 team.  It's very possible the Monks loss in the GNAC title game kept the Corsairs out.  Not saying they still take 4 region teams, but if everything else plays out the way it does suddenly opens up an extra pool C for the region which would've probably been Dartmouth but both Smith & Babson were in front as well, and we might not ever know what the final regional rankings were.

I just want to know how in the world Smith AND Middlebury got in ahead of UMassD.  Dartmouth had a better record.  Had a higher strength of schedule.  They had a winning record (assuming here but I think I am accurate) against regionally ranked opponents, which was the knock on them last year.  They checked off every box and still got snubbed for 4 teams out of the NESCAC and 2! out of the NEWMAC.  The LEC is far better than they are getting credit for.  Dartmouth beat East Conn twice.  That is the team that beat Amherest in Amherst.  Top 5 teams in the conference had winning records.  Where is the respect?

7express

I didn't realize Smith got in as well. 

Caz Bombers

I think your ire should be directed two places; 1) the Northeast RAC for leaving UMD behind all 3 of Smith, Midd and SJC (I would have jumped them over Smith definitely, SJC maybe, but probably not Midd) and 2) the national committee for using what was probably the last Pool C on out-of-left-field selection Mount Saint Mary.

However, 2) requires that MSMC was the last pick and that UMD was on the table at the time. If MSMC was picked before Smith, then return to 1).

SidelineHero

Quote from: Caz Bombers on February 26, 2019, 09:59:09 AM
I think your ire should be directed two places; 1) the Northeast RAC for leaving UMD behind all 3 of Smith, Midd and SJC (I would have jumped them over Smith definitely, SJC maybe, but probably not Midd) and 2) the national committee for using what was probably the last Pool C on out-of-left-field selection Mount Saint Mary.

However, 2) requires that MSMC was the last pick and that UMD was on the table at the time. If MSMC was picked before Smith, then return to 1).

This makes sense.