FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Horse Rider

I believe at this point no USAC team has the resume to get an at large bid to the tournament so the AQ is the only chance.  Everyone gets to reset their records to 0-0 and start conference play Saturday.  Here is what we have.

NCWC travels to LaGrange.  I think that LaGrange should have enough defense to prevail here especially if NCWC keeps turning the ball over
Averett goes to Greensboro and wins big against the Pride.
Methodist goes to Alabama to play Huntingdon.  If Methodist defense plays well and the penalties are limited I think they can win.  My big concern is the size of Huntingdon's OL vs the interior DL of the Monarchs.  Given the fact that I don't think that changed much in the bye week I will pick the Hawks in a close one but would be happy if I was wrong.
Marryville plays at Brevard.  This is the hardest game to pick this week in my opinion.  We have the only undefeated team going against the only team without a win.  Maryville played likely the 3 best D3 teams any one in the conference played thus far (Oshkosh maybe the exception) and were only close with Centre.  Brevard was down at halftime of a game that was ultimately canceled against against Newport News.  They then beat CNU who looks to be having a down year.  They then beat NAIA Allen University.  Going into the season on paper Maryville was the better team and the obvious pick here but.... I am going to say that the SO QB for Brevard Cole has just enough at home to claim victory

Wild Horse Rider

Wild Horse Rider

Back to it in Alabama. Methodist gets a fumble recovery as the Hawks are driving. They go 3 & out. Punt block. One play TD drive Huntingdon. Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes

Hawks88

DGPugh

Hawks, I watched it on the computer. The Boy and his bride went down I told him to say hello if he saw you. He is down to 210. Chas is  nearly her size when she played softball.
I pray yall are well, keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11

Hawks88

Didn't see them, DG. We stopped by the football alumni tent during the first weather delay but didn't see them. When the second weather delay got pretty nasty a lot of people left so I wonder if they were among those? It was a fun game besides the delays. The defense seemed much improved over the last couple of games so hopefully they can keep that up going forward. Big one with Murvul next week.

Go Hawks!

Wild Horse Rider

Old fashioned butt whipping in Alabama today for the Monarchs. Unfortunately the running game for the Hawks was far too much. Averett did what they were supposed to do. LaGrange pulled to within a TD of NCWC midway through the fourth then allowed 10 unanswered. Brevard won today in large part due to their defense/special teams who scored on a fumble recovery and had a safety.

DGPugh

Hawks
He left before the game
He had to run the ' Mogadishu Mile' race at Columbus this afternoon. One of his former SWATeam members ran the real one, so several of them are running it in full gear.

He said he got to see a bunch of team mates and coaches. :)

Id like to see us win the rest of em, but as long as the Hawks beat LaGrange and Murr vul (  :) ) it might be an ok season  ;D
I actually like murvul... lagrange... not so much :)
I pray yall are well
keep the faith my friend
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 

Wild Horse Rider

3 and 1 last week on the picks.  My only miss was NCWC winning on the road at LaGrange overcoming 3 turnovers (13 total on the season).  Second week of conference play.

NCWC beats the Pride of Greensboro. 
Huntingdon beats Marryville at home.  I am very curious to see if Maryville's defense can bottle up the Hawks offense.  My gut says no.
LaGrange travels to Danville to play Averett.  I think that this is a game for a while but I believe Averett should win by double digits.
Lastly the Monarchs of Methodist vs the Tornados of Brevard.  I can't tell what to make of Brevard.  They beat winless CNU and Maryville both at home.  They went on the road to beat NAIA Allen University.  Methodist has not played close to a clean game all season.  They have thrown 6 picks, lost 2 fumbles, had 2 punts blocked, giving up 14 yards per on punt returns, and they are averaging 9 penalties for about 75 yards per game.  Methodist only win was at home against a winless Catholic team.  The Guilford loss was close but that is Guilford's only win of the year so far.  The Huntingdon game got away from the Monarchs in Alabama but I would imagine that the two weather delays hurt the road team a little more than the home team.  Huntingdon was certainly the better team on Saturday but that doesn't help.  Last season Methodist lost by 5 at Brevard.  The Monarchs ran all over the Tornados but the Tornados aired it out against the Monarchs.  I think Methodist's pass defense is better but so is Brevard's run defense.  I should pick the Tornados to win but I have a feeling that a home game is just what the doctor ordered for the Monarchs.  This would be their first against Brevard as well.

Wild Horse Rider

Game day, game day, best day of the week, great day to be a Monarch! Woooooo!! Low 80's in Fayetteville with low humidity.

Scots13

Passing TD over 5 yards for Maryville. Thought we'd never see one ::)
7-0 MC early in 1Q
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Wild Horse Rider

10-0 Methodist at half. The freshman QB is playing well. The defense is playing their tails off

Hawks88

Any time we beat Maryville is a good day but we definitely could have played better. After last week's good defensive effort I thought the defense gave up too much and the offense definitely left 2 or 3 TD's on the field with open receivers over-thrown. Still some work to do to get where we want to be. Hopefully we can go to Brevard next and play a cleaner game.

Go Hawks!

Wild Horse Rider

First week I was perfect on my picks. Maryville gave Huntingdon everything they could handle. Averett and NCWC took care of business. Methodist and Brevard played a very chippy game. There were only 13 accepted penalties but at least 5 sets of offsetting unsportsmanlike penalties. Methodist only pick really didn't matter since it was with no time right before half. One of the Brevard picks didn't matter since the player returned it about 25 yards then fumbled it back to the Tornados. Methodist played extremely well on defense except for three plays; a 79 yard TD pass, a 64 yard TD pass, and a 44 yard TD pass. The other 64 plays resulted in 153 yards. All three of those passes someone got behind the secondary. There was a blocked XP by a FR DE that wound up being the difference in the game. The FR QB for Methodist grew up this weekend. He may have held the ball a little longer than he should have at times but they were down 6 with a little over 2 minuets to play. The final score was a 48 yard catch and run by the WR McNeil (185 yds and 2 TD on the day). Hopefully they can build on this next week in Tennessee. Brevard is a good ball club. They have good size on both fronts. As a boy from the mountains of NC I definitely wish them well going forward.

DGPugh

Go Hawks  ;)
Everyone have a great week
keep the faith :)