MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noonhooper

Points and Rebounds aren't the only factors to determine a POY. Scibelli is a great player, and he has recovered from his injury (i thought it was two years ago) to be a strong candidate for First Team. But a good player on a mediocre team gets every play called for him and a ton of touches. Doing the most with fewer touches and getting stops on D against basically all five positions is a good recipe.

Now, knowing my luck Joe will have a great game tomorrow and you will "show me" but I know what I see on the court and I know what the numbers say.

Scibelli- 22.7% Usage, .916 Points/Poss (68th percentile), 49.4 TS%, gives up .919 PPP on D (37th percentile)

ODell-  14.5% Usage,  1.03 PPP (88th percentile) 63.3 TS%, give up .747 PPP (78th percentile)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think a lot depends on how the coaches view the award.  I could see other players being more talented than O'Dell, but if I were building a team, his versatility across the board would have me choosing him first by a mile.  Lots of good arguments out there.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

noonhooper

Didn't get to watch the game, why did McGrath only play 5 minutes for F&M?

D.B. Cooper

Mcgrath got hit by an errant elbow. Then was taken to locker I believe. I heard them say someone came out after half not in uniform and I assumed it was mcgrath but didn't actually hear the name clearly. From watching it seemed to involve face and/or head area.

Swat Fan #1

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on February 16, 2019, 09:05:34 PM
So who gets 4 and 5 place?

Washington College will host Franklin & Marshall for the first round game.  WC went 2-0 against the Dips during the regular season.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swat Fan #1

I have to say the end of the season for the Centennial was anti-climatic. Swat kind of steamrolled over the last few games and then wasn't challenged in the Centennial Tournament. In fact, their first game was just awful. As I have been saying all year, Cam is the guy who makes the team go and was the obvious choice as MVP of the Tournament. I see this as a final four team. They are on a roll right now and it is the best time for that to happen.

Gabriel

Interesting to see that Emerson rolled over WPI 93-75 to win the NEWMAC for the first time. Emerson's over all record was 14-11 and just 7-5 in the conference. Just goes to show you what can happen when a team get hot at tournament time.

I mention this on this board because Emerson was led by Jack O'Connor with 33 points. Jack is from my home town and played high school ball at St Georges School.  He was recruited by and attended Dickinson College his freshman year, did not play much  and then transferred to Emerson.  Guess this is one who got away.

Gabriel

Swat Fan #1

Congratulations to Swarthmore once again for winning the conference title.  They were clearly the best team in the CC.  Cam Wiley is terrific and, as a Ursinus fan, I am happy that he graduates. He played great in the finals against JHU.  Swat should continue to do well and a final four berth would not surprise me.

Swat Fan #1

I am kind of shocked at the talent in Swat's region. M.I.T. and Randolph-Macon are both top ten teams. Swat's second and third round games could be very tough. I believe the three of them finished 5,6, and 7 in latest rankings. Can't believe they all ended up together.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on February 25, 2019, 07:46:39 PM
I am kind of shocked at the talent in Swat's region. M.I.T. and Randolph-Macon are both top ten teams. Swat's second and third round games could be very tough. I believe the three of them finished 5,6, and 7 in latest rankings. Can't believe they all ended up together.

There is talent across the board in the tournament. Now second or third round game will be easy, period.

centfan

swat has had a wonderful season and, i agree, is a candidate for the final four. my instinct, despite rooting for the centennial, is that they will not get that far. Should MIT and Swat win, i believe Swat will have their hands full with a team that can match up very well with them. Randolph Macon can also match up well in the paint with swat if they meet up. we shall see.It could get down to toughness, condition and whether or not a guard has a big game.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: centfan on February 26, 2019, 08:08:57 AM
swat has had a wonderful season and, i agree, is a candidate for the final four. my instinct, despite rooting for the centennial, is that they will not get that far. Should MIT and Swat win, i believe Swat will have their hands full with a team that can match up very well with them. Randolph Macon can also match up well in the paint with swat if they meet up. we shall see.It could get down to toughness, condition and whether or not a guard has a big game.

A full strength MIT is favored over Swarthmore, for sure.  We just haven't seen a full-strength MIT at all this season.  I give the edge to Swat because they're clicking right now and they'll be at home.