MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOPEful

Quote from: ziggy on April 24, 2019, 05:25:59 PM
Quote from: Jameswys on April 24, 2019, 05:00:02 PM
Well,  since it's been ignored between recruits and coaching changes, I'll comment and say it's totally badass that the D2 and D3 champs will be played in Atlanta next year. Having all three tournaments in the same facility and on the same court will be a great experience for the D2 and D3 athletes. This is an exciting change.

Same city but adjacent facilities as D1 will be in the football stadium and D2/D3 will be in whatever they call the NBA arena these days.

Do we know how the schedule will be adjusted? Last time they tried this, the playoff schedule suffered, IMO.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Jameswys

Well,  since it's been ignored between recruits and coaching changes, I'll comment and say it's totally badass that the D2 and D3 champs will be played in Atlanta next year. Having all three tournaments in the same facility and on the same court will be a great experience for the D2 and D3 athletes. This is an exciting change.

Same city but adjacent facilities as D1 will be in the football stadium and D2/D3 will be in whatever they call the NBA arena these days.

Well that sucks. Nowhere near as cool for the athletes.
Olivet '05

Young Knight 14

Quote from: Jameswys on April 24, 2019, 07:29:31 PM

Well that sucks. Nowhere near as cool for the athletes.
I'd argue it's better. Playing in an empty football stadium would be an awful atmosphere. Playing in a semi full NBA arena will be pretty cool.

Young Knight 14

Quote from: KnightSlappy on April 24, 2019, 02:04:30 PM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on April 24, 2019, 01:11:33 PM
Quote from: Goknights2017 on April 24, 2019, 12:11:18 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on April 24, 2019, 11:21:18 AM
Calvin has named Mark Christner as head coach of the Women's basketball team. Christner was a player (and then) assistant at Calvin before moving to Waynesburg (PA) to serve as the head coach of their Men's program. He was a women's assistant at Calvin before he moved to the men's side.

http://calvinknights.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/releases/20190424d3ivqh

Hopefully the College/University can now turn major attention to the men's opening.

Interesting news. I imagine he was a candidate for the men's job as well.

I had the same thought.  Could this mean that the process for selecting a new men's head coach is nearing completion?

I know nothing, but I don't guess this indicates anything about the Men's position, which is still posted. The posting for the Women's position has been down for some time.
The rumor is they are down to the top 5 (with one clear favorite). I know they have had at least some candidates on campus for interviews.

sac

Luke Schrotenboer, South Christian will attend Cornerstone.   I imagine 1 or 3 MIAA's were interested.

Winifred Durfee

Tommy Surges, 5'10" G from Marmion Academy (IL) will attend Hope. Don't know anything about him apart from the film I took a peek at. Lefty with a pull up jumper, takes it to the hole, jumps passing lanes on D. Surely a JV kid, one would assume, but perhaps a future for Hope. Either way, another one for the Dutchmen.

Now just to snag a couple 6'8" kids and the class will be looking solid  ;)

Dutch Calvinist Reformer

Given the quality hire of an experienced college coach for the Calvin women's program, one has to think there will be a big-time hire on the men's side of things as well.

HupHolland

Quote from: Dutch Calvinist Reformer on April 25, 2019, 10:20:43 AM
Given the quality hire of an experienced college coach for the Calvin women's program, one has to think there will be a big-time hire on the men's side of things as well.
What would a big-time hire be for Calvin? I think VanderWal is the only realistic answer for that, and that is not happening.

ziggy

Quote from: HupHolland on April 25, 2019, 11:35:38 AM
What would a big-time hire be for Calvin? I think VanderWal is the only realistic answer for that, and that is not happening.

Let's just see how this plays out.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: HOPEful on April 24, 2019, 06:20:58 PM

Do we know how the schedule will be adjusted? Last time they tried this, the playoff schedule suffered, IMO.

Understand that next year and six years ago had two VERY different calendars. Due to quirks like when the Masters is scheduled in April, six years ago was like this past season... the DI tournament stretching a little later into April than normal. Did anyone notice the DIII championship weekend was the final weekend of DI conference tournaments and not the opening weekend of the national tournament? So, six years ago ... they had to stretch the tournament out over SIX weeks. They didn't want three weeks between semis and title game. Thus, they had to shift things around while also doing right by Salem and giving them a "traditional" weekend featuring two days of games. It resulted in 1-1-1-2-0-1.

This time around (as is being discussed in the multi-regional group "NCAA Tournament 2020), there is just five weeks for the entire thing to be stretch out over. I can tell you for a fact, the "1-1-1" part of that schedule six years ago was NOT loved (also remember, we still had two first-round byes; both title game teams happened to have byes in the first round for different reasons) by committee members, coaches in general, etc. So, I don't expect to see that.

However, we will see two weeks between semis and title game. It is unavoidable. Fort Wayne cannot move the tournament weekend a week later because they are hosting the DI Women's Sweet 16/Elite 8 rounds the following weekend. So, there are the choices of 2-1-2-0-1 or ... 1-2-2-0-1. I think we will get the first version. Start the tournament with a traditional weekend feels more logical to me with better ability to make the bracket diverse ... than starting with a single game.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Young Knight 14 on April 24, 2019, 07:49:07 PM

I'd argue it's better. Playing in an empty football stadium would be an awful atmosphere. Playing in a semi full NBA arena will be pretty cool.

I am in agreement here.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Fifth and Putnam

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 25, 2019, 01:35:48 PM

Understand that next year and six years ago had two VERY different calendars. Due to quirks like when the Masters is scheduled in April, six years ago was like this past season... the DI tournament stretching a little later into April than normal. Did anyone notice the DIII championship weekend was the final weekend of DI conference tournaments and not the opening weekend of the national tournament? So, six years ago ... they had to stretch the tournament out over SIX weeks. They didn't want three weeks between semis and title game. Thus, they had to shift things around while also doing right by Salem and giving them a "traditional" weekend featuring two days of games. It resulted in 1-1-1-2-0-1.

This time around (as is being discussed in the multi-regional group "NCAA Tournament 2020), there is just five weeks for the entire thing to be stretch out over. I can tell you for a fact, the "1-1-1" part of that schedule six years ago was NOT loved (also remember, we still had two first-round byes; both title game teams happened to have byes in the first round for different reasons) by committee members, coaches in general, etc. So, I don't expect to see that.

However, we will see two weeks between semis and title game. It is unavoidable. Fort Wayne cannot move the tournament weekend a week later because they are hosting the DI Women's Sweet 16/Elite 8 rounds the following weekend. So, there are the choices of 2-1-2-0-1 or ... 1-2-2-0-1. I think we will get the first version. Start the tournament with a traditional weekend feels more logical to me with better ability to make the bracket diverse ... than starting with a single game.

Put me in the camp for scenario #1. None of this is ideal, and I hate the idea of teams having to sit for two weeks before a national title game. But scenario 1 feels the most normal of the two options.

GoKnights68

Quote from: HupHolland on April 25, 2019, 11:35:38 AM

IMO, Bill Sall would be considered a big-time hire if that were to occur.

ziggy

The nice thing about starting with a single game is the opportunity for more schools to host. Should be able to get an even better bracket that way because the committee is just making pairs instead of working out four-team pods.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: ziggy on April 25, 2019, 02:18:46 PM

The nice thing about starting with a single game is the opportunity for more schools to host. Should be able to get an even better bracket that way because the committee is just making pairs instead of working out four-team pods.

I think the opposite is true. They get more flexibility with the bracket in the 4-team pods because you could have Illinois Wesleyan play against Guilford at Wooster in the first round if it made sense for seeding. You could never get a matchup like that with individual pairings.