BB: Regionals (Midwest) 2012 Whitewater WI

Started by Ralph Turner, April 29, 2012, 06:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaseballFan

I don't think there is a year since 05' where i haven't been baffled by the seeding for the Midwest.

Here are the Midwest Teams SOS that were D3 but don't think they include conf tourney but should be in the general neighborhood. Someone may have more up to date.

Thomas 14
LAX 41
North Park 131
UWW 30
Concordia 55
CSS 76
Aurora 175
St. Norbert 155

North Park is the specific reason why I am baffled every year. All i hear every year is SOS is what helps the WIAC teams but hurts CSS. Then you look at North Park and they are 3 seeds ahead of CSS with a worse SOS and with CSS going 3-3 against UWW, UST, LAX 3 of the top 4 seeds.  I also think UWW got a little too much love which other people eluded too.  (my 2 cents)

However I do not think it makes much difference if you are 3, 4, 5, or 6th seed this year or even most years but whether you are the 2nd or 3rd seed can make a difference. Fortunately this year it was pretty cut and dry for 1 and 2.

FYI North Park's record is listed incorrectly on both their projections and playoff field release.

Gregory Sager

Those SOS numbers look fishy to me. Even taking non-conference play into consideration, how does St. Scholastica end up with a SOS that high when five of the eight teams in its league finished below .500 -- with three of those five not even reaching double digits in wins? Meanwhile, NPU played in a league in which seven of the eight teams finished above .500, with three of them reaching the 25-win mark.

Quote from: BaseballFan on May 14, 2012, 08:26:24 PM
FYI North Park's record is listed incorrectly on both their projections and playoff field release.

And by "their" he means d3baseball.com. NPU's playoff release has the proper record of the Vikings (32-12) listed, as does UWW's page for the tournament.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

OshDude

"Their" would also mean NCAA.com, not so coincidentally, at that time. NCAA.com has since updated the record. So has D3baseball.com.

biggio34

I think the most interesting match up in the first round of the Midwest Regional is LAX vs Aurora.  The core or Aurora's team was in this regional last year and drew a tough Point team in its opening round game, which they lost 3-2 I believe.  This team belongs and should be confident heading into the tournament.  They are also probably playing with a bit of a chip on their shoulder because of their low seed.  It will be interesting to see if they can stop the steam roller of Lacrosse who appears to be nearly unbeatable right now.  Anyone have a guess on the pitching match up?

Babe Truth

I agree with you biggio, Aurora definitely looks like they're a very solid team that could have been even a #3 in this pool.  I personally put only so much weight on SoS, and know UWL is not going to be taking them lightly by any means.

As for pitchers, I'd be surprised if the season-long UWL rotation varies - especially after the Verthein, Scray and Johnson 0.35 ERA last weekend.  If the top 2 seeds can each get past their first two opponents the Eagles would have to feel pretty good about sending Johnson and his season 0.83 against St. Thomas on Friday.

biggio34

Quote from: Babe Truth on May 15, 2012, 03:17:37 PM
I agree with you biggio, Aurora definitely looks like they're a very solid team that could have been even a #3 in this pool.  I personally put only so much weight on SoS, and know UWL is not going to be taking them lightly by any means.

As for pitchers, I'd be surprised if the season-long UWL rotation varies - especially after the Verthein, Scray and Johnson 0.35 ERA last weekend.  If the top 2 seeds can each get past their first two opponents the Eagles would have to feel pretty good about sending Johnson and his season 0.83 against St. Thomas on Friday.

Although the era's are slightly different, I would say the Tommies would feel equally as confident with either Mahar, Gapinski, or Thomas on the mound.  I'm wondering how their starts on Saturday and Sunday in the MIAC tourney, which limits their rest, will affect how they set up their rotation.  Do they throw Dominick (who shut down St Mary's) in their opener vs Norberts?

In a St Thomas vs LAX match up I would give LAX a slight edge just because I think they are a much more potent offensive team.  And with that said, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Tommies offense catch fire and score some runs.  :)  Who knows what will happen, but I can't wait to find out.

MIACLUV

Pitching wont be an issue for the Tommies, In fact I see no reason not to start Dominik in game 1. The loss to St. Mary's cannot be put on his right arm, only giving up 1 hit through 8 innings. I worry about the offense though, it has been real inconsistent all season. Whitewater is lying in the bushes waiting to pounce, as few talk about their chances or put them on the list as a regional favorite. I think they are going to make a deep run, there is a something to be said about a team at home and the comforts of that. Lastly I thought it quite interesting how the Midwest preview brought up the fact that North Park has played ONE ranked opponent all season! And they are a #3 seed. Seriously. Can the NCAA step aside and let people that actually follow baseball at the D3 level make the decisions, because they obviously have no clue. Honestly the Tommies should be the #2.

Just Bill

Quote from: MIACLUV on May 15, 2012, 04:06:00 PM
Can the NCAA step aside and let people that actually follow baseball at the D3 level make the decisions, because they obviously have no clue. Honestly the Tommies should be the #2.

The "NCAA" that you want to step aside are the coaches and athletic directors from the schools in the region and I'm pretty sure they follow the teams closely. It's not a bunch of suit-wearing bureaucrats in Indianapolis. I'm not sure who you want to replace them.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

mr_b

Lastly I thought it quite interesting how the Midwest preview brought up the fact that North Park has played ONE ranked opponent all season!
The information on the preview states that North Park has played one regional opponent all season, which obviously in inaccurate.  The Vikings actually have a 28-10 in-region record.

Just Bill

Quote from: mr_b on May 15, 2012, 04:17:39 PM
Lastly I thought it quite interesting how the Midwest preview brought up the fact that North Park has played ONE ranked opponent all season!
The information on the preview states that North Park has played one regional opponent all season, which obviously in inaccurate.  The Vikings actually have a 28-10 in-region record.

I believe he meant to say North Park has played just one team which is currently in a regional tournament.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

biggio34

Lastly I thought it quite interesting how the Midwest preview brought up the fact that North Park has played ONE ranked opponent all season! And they are a #3 seed. Seriously. Can the NCAA step aside and let people that actually follow baseball at the D3 level make the decisions, because they obviously have no clue.

I think generally speaking the process is about as fair as it can be made.  There are always going to be some head scratching seedings that will raise questions, but isn't that part of the fun?

BaseballFan

What are we going to be seeing for pitching matchups?

OshDude

Quote from: Just Bill on May 15, 2012, 04:19:36 PM
Quote from: mr_b on May 15, 2012, 04:17:39 PM

I believe he meant to say North Park has played just one team which is currently in a regional tournament.
Didn't think it was necessary, but I guess it was. The fragment was "The Vikings have only played one regional team all season..." Kudos to anyone who cracked the code and got the same meaning as Just Bill.

D3Vike11

1.) St. Thomas (33-7)        3.04 era, .977 fld%, .314 avg, .380 ob%, .422 slg%, 52 sb
2.) Wisc-LaX (33-9)           3.69 era, .952 fld%, .324 avg, .396 ob%, .449 slg%, 48 sb
3.) North Park (32-12)       3.82 era, .955 fld%, .335 avg, .425 ob%, .441 slg%, 88 sb
4.) Whitewater (29-16)      4.96 era, .964 fld%, .323 avg, .398 ob%, .471 slg%, 74 sb
5.) Concordia-IL (33-12)    3.42 era, .970 fld%, .357 avg, .425 ob%, .464 slg%, 70 sb
6.) St. Scholastica (33-9)   3.40 era, .954 fld%, .344 avg, .426 ob%, .495 slg%, 42 sb
7.) Aurora (36-8)              2.45 era, .964 fld%, .344 avg, .412 ob%, .488 slg%, 120 sb
8.) St. Norbert (26-11)      4.85 era, .955 fld%, .334 avg, .434 ob%, .419 slg%, 63 sb

Aurora looks strong, on paper.
"90% of the game is half mental." - Yogi Berra

RFMichigan

Good first game in the Midwest regional so far. UWW up 1 - 0 on CUC in the 7th. CUC survives a 1st & 3rd w/ nobody out in the bottom of the 6th with no runs given up. Both pitchers - Thorsen for CUC (2 hits through seven) and Schmitz for UWW (four hits through seven) - are effective so far.

EDIT: CUC scores a run in the top of the 7th to tie the game 1 - 1.