FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFB

Quote from: OxyBob on June 28, 2018, 06:35:04 PM
Meanwhile, over at Redlands, Campus Reform reports...

QuoteUniversity offers 'safe space' for 'fixing' masculinity

The University of Redlands offers a course that serves as a "safe space" to critique masculinity, focusing on concepts like "homophobia," "gender roles," and "competition."

Other masculinity-related programming includes a retreat, a "DUDES WEEK," and a social justice advocacy group, but a parallel program for women offers just 4 prepared presentations on issues like sexual assault and consent.

Here's the link:

https://tinyurl.com/ycqm5nsv

OxyBob

They also offer all you can drink soy milk at this retreat. Looks like my streak of not giving the University a cent will continue.

olddog

Quote from: RFB on June 29, 2018, 10:53:06 AM

The University of Redlands offers a course that serves as a "safe space" to critique masculinity, focusing on concepts like "homophobia," "gender roles," and "competition."

Other masculinity-related programming includes a retreat, a "DUDES WEEK," and a social justice advocacy group, but a parallel program for women offers just 4 prepared presentations on issues like sexual assault and consent.

Here's the link:

OxyBob

They also offer all you can drink soy milk at this retreat. Looks like my streak of not giving the University a cent will continue.

Next time they call for money I will tell them to hit up the boys that took this class first. I told you all,the new president who leaves games at halftime is different.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

CalCat

Quote from: olddog on July 02, 2018, 10:55:14 AM
Quote from: RFB on June 29, 2018, 10:53:06 AM

Here's the link:

OxyBob

Next time they call for money I will tell them to hit up the boys that took this class first. I told you all the new president who leaves games at halftime is different.

This used to be called mental counseling......now you can get college credit for something that my mother and father and older siblings taught me.
CalCat

RFB

Camp is around the corner. It's 20+ years since my last one, and I still get butterflies in my stomach this time of year. August heat, two a days, equalizers, and "The Turk" roaming the practice field. Almost time to get after it.

OCguy

Top 25 came out and i saw that Chapman got zero votes. This team will surprise people this year. If Chapman can stay healthy they will compete for another SCIAC title and a return trip to Texas. Any early preview on Redlands?

olddog

I was surprised UR got any votes. Not sure why. They are real high on their QB...but lost a lot of players.
Most of OL is gone, Two of the Best WR gone, RB are good, TE is Strong, QB maybe all league first team
DLine, will be better, very green last year...NG is a stud, LB's are ok but not as good as past, DB some big holes, need corners...lets see how the JC's perform...worried about the D

In short I have CU and the Regals ahead of UR....this team on paper is the weakest I have seen in three years, The QB has potential to be the best I have seen in the last 5 years, just not so sure about cast, Oline...worried just to big and slow.

RFB

Quote from: olddog on July 13, 2018, 04:44:16 PM
I was surprised UR got any votes. Not sure why. They are real high on their QB...but lost a lot of players.
Most of OL is gone, Two of the Best WR gone, RB are good, TE is Strong, QB maybe all league first team
DLine, will be better, very green last year...NG is a stud, LB's are ok but not as good as past, DB some big holes, need corners...lets see how the JC's perform...worried about the D

In short I have CU and the Regals ahead of UR....this team on paper is the weakest I have seen in three years, The QB has potential to be the best I have seen in the last 5 years, just not so sure about cast, Oline...worried just to big and slow.

Pre-season votes mean absolutely squat. It's filler material and I don't mean this as a shot at Pat and this website. USC was ranked #1 in 2012 and they went 7-6, so don't give a lot of attention to pre-season polls.

Regarding Redlands - won't know what they have until camp opens next month. I like what they did in recruiting this off season, especially the large contingent of players coming from the PNW. They have a tough schedule, but would not want it any other way. I hope Linfield stays on the schedule forever, and am excited to have 3 NWC conference teams and 10 games for the first time.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: RFB on July 13, 2018, 05:38:41 PM
Pre-season votes mean absolutely squat. It's filler material and I don't mean this as a shot at Pat and this website. USC was ranked #1 in 2012 and they went 7-6, so don't give a lot of attention to pre-season polls.

D-I is not the same as D-III, and this is one lovely example. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

RFB

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 13, 2018, 05:43:21 PM
Quote from: RFB on July 13, 2018, 05:38:41 PM

D-I is not the same as D-III, and this is one lovely example. :)

Fair enough, Pat. Looking forward to Mt. Scholarship (Union) going 7-6 this year. Lol

olddog

Quote from: RFB on July 12, 2018, 05:37:08 PM
Camp is around the corner. It's 20+ years since my last one, and I still get butterflies in my stomach this time of year. August heat, two a days, equalizers, and "The Turk" roaming the practice field. Almost time to get after it.

RFB, just had the same conversation with a kid that played for UCLA when Mora would take the team to Cal State San Ber.
The days of two a days are over as you know it per the NCAA rules. UR has to bring kids in a couple days early compared to when you played in order to get their number of practices in before the first game. I am sure when you played Maynard went 12, 13 or 14 days with out a day off in camp. UCLA, would go a week or so and go out in shorts in the AM on Saturday and give them Sunday off. I am sure you guys would have killed for that break.
Funny it is still a badge of character for every UR alum that played for Maynard. I used to love when my son would say it was not bad today, only 104 at the start of the second practice.

Gray Fox

Quote from: olddog on July 13, 2018, 07:55:26 PM

RFB, just had the same conversation with a kid that played for UCLA when Mora would take the team to Cal State San Ber.
The days of two a days are over as you know it per the NCAA rules. UR has to bring kids in a couple days early compared to when you played in order to get their number of practices in before the first game. I am sure when you played Maynard went 12, 13 or 14 days with out a day off in camp. UCLA, would go a week or so and go out in shorts in the AM on Saturday and give them Sunday off. I am sure you guys would have killed for that break.
Funny it is still a badge of character for every UR alum that played for Maynard. I used to love when my son would say it was not bad today, only 104 at the start of the second practice.
Don't forget the smog. :(
Fierce When Roused

RFB

You're correct. We went two weeks straight without a break, including two practices a day. It was really tough, but we practiced at night a few times under the lights when the heat got really bad. Most of those practices were full pads and full contact too. Offense and defense were like two different teams within the program. We straight up hated and beat the crap out of each other until the first game. Good times and memories.

RFB

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 14, 2018, 12:04:10 AM

Don't forget the smog. :(

Yep

Hemingway13

As always, I'm mucho pumped for another Redlands season to kick off, so many thanks for the team previews from the experts, OldDog and RFB. Of course, avidly awaiting Pat's 'Kickoff 2018' in August to find out what his pundits reckon about our SCIAC competitors.

What a great decade this has been for my Bulldogs! Since 2010 we have averaged just 1 loss per season in the SCIAC, and 3 of those defeats were by newcomer Chapman who has chalked up two championships that would've been won by UR in the "good old days of yore". My elation about the Bulldogs' consistent success is only a smidgen dampened by reading the baffling bellyaches in this board about such peripheral matters as some course that's disdained or that the president leaves games at halftime. But, hey, whatever floats your boats, guys.

Just checked the 'La Letra' from when I was a Senior, and coincidentally that year we also had just a single loss in the SCIAC (to Whittier during one of their golden eras). By the way, there was one African-American and no Mexican-Americans on that team.

Go Dawgs! :-)

"Courage is grace under pressure." Ernest Hemingway

D O.C.

Now, RFB knows darn well Redlands won't know what they have until they walk onto the CATDOME field.