WBB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by charge, October 30, 2004, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldini

Well, I am thrilled to have another weekend of D3 basketball in Lexington. I had convinced myself that they were probably headed to Oglethorpe. Makes me wonder if Oglethorpe did not apply to host? Or was a just geography move by the NCAA? 

Interesting note, Randolph-Macon to Oglethorpe is 540 miles. Randolph-Macon to Transylvania is 495 miles.

Jester1390

so they dont take augsburg that is a joke in itself.  then they take the umac and the miac and make them play in the first round.   it appears rose played 4 teams that made the tournament im sure thats the most in HCAC

Personal not kid is at home and is feeling better from concussion.  I also have the privilege to now be the Minnesota Recruiter for Rose. So if you know any players looking to be an engineer send  them my way.

Baldini

Quote from: Jester1390 on March 02, 2020, 08:43:28 PM
so they dont take augsburg that is a joke in itself.  then they take the umac and the miac and make them play in the first round.   it appears rose played 4 teams that made the tournament im sure thats the most in HCAC

Personal not kid is at home and is feeling better from concussion.  I also have the privilege to now be the Minnesota Recruiter for Rose. So if you know any players looking to be an engineer send  them my way.

I have not even looked at the teams that got in late or the teams that were left on the table, but who should of Augsburg gotten in over compared to someone that was selected? 

Baldini

Hanover ended up 8th in the final regional rankings, giving Transylvania a 2-1 against RRO and a SOS at .522. Compared to Oglethorpe with a 1-1 RRO and a SOS at .534.

Very close and more fuel to suggest that geography may have been the deciding factor in Transylvania hosting.   

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Jester1390 on March 02, 2020, 08:43:28 PM
then they take the umac and the miac and make them play in the first round.

Why is this part a problem?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on February 27, 2020, 08:26:32 AM
Quote from: Enginerd on February 27, 2020, 07:40:26 AM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on February 27, 2020, 02:03:36 AM
Quote from: Enginerd on February 26, 2020, 11:12:07 PM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on February 26, 2020, 09:22:47 PM
Quote from: Enginerd on February 26, 2020, 08:00:54 PM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on February 26, 2020, 06:11:59 PM
Transy fell to 5th in the regional rankings and Hanover makes an appearance at 9th.

Transy needs to win the HCAC Tournament.  If they don't, they need to hope that Baldwin Wallace wins the OAC and Ohio Northern and John Carroll both lose early in the OAC Tournament (which IS typically a bloodbath). Having no games vs. RRO's would be a killer with three losses and an anemic NCAA #, with two OAC schools with multiple games vs. RRO's and big NCAA #'s sitting right behind them in the regional rankings.

Here's the problem. Transy is MORE than good enough to be an NCAA Tournament team this year, just like RHIT last year and in 2016. RHIT wanted to ensure it wouldn't happen again, so they went out and added Chicago, became the 4th permanent member of the Midwest Classic, and scheduled anyone that would play them, just to try to overcome the perception of the HCAC being a weak conference and the precipitous drop in the NCAA # after conference play - and THEY STILL got left home last season. I'll guarantee you that RHIT was better than Denison in 2016, better than Baldwin-Wallace last year, and Transy is better than anyone in the OAC THIS year, but, as HCAC schools, they need to play virtually a suicidal non-conference schedule just to get the respect than an OAC school does just by showing up for their conference games.
Let's assume Transy is pool C... that means they lose in the tournament, ideally in the championship to Hanover. Hanover is now a ranked opponent and they'd be 1-2 which is still better than 0-0.

Got this from today's release on the main D3Hoops site - seems to imply that only those teams ranked on the 19th are considered to be RRO's for the purpose of the 4th and final regional ranking? If I'm reading this correctly Transy is 0-0 vs. RRO's, and that ain't changing.

"The third public NCAA Division III regional rankings were released on Feb. 26. They are the last of three sets which we will see before the selections are made and announced on Monday, March 2. There is also one final set of regional rankings, which is released after the tournament bracket is revealed. This ranking uses the Feb. 19 regional rankings to determine which teams qualify as "results vs. regionally ranked opponents."
That line should be in a separate paragraph. "This ranking uses the Feb 19..." is referring to the latest rankings using the ranked teams from the Feb 19th rankings. Here's the same paragraph from the previous rankings
QuoteThe second public NCAA Division III regional rankings were released on Feb. 19. They are the middle of three sets which we will see before the selections are made and announced on Monday, March 2. There is also one final set of regional rankings, which is released after the tournament bracket is revealed. This ranking uses the Feb. 12 regional rankings to determine which teams qualify as "results vs. regionally ranked opponents."

No - it shouldn't. It was all part of the quote and not my opinion or words.

Guys, much as I'd like to see it happen (because they are really good at home-I think they could have beaten Thomas More at home last year) there is very little chance Transy could possibly host - unless the schools that finish ahead of them haven't put in bids or their men's programs DO put in bids and this year belongs to the men's side for hosting precedence. They aren't leap-frogging DePauw or Hope, or now BW, or likely anyone else at this point, unless Trine loses in a semi-final. Additionally, the NCAA #'s of Ohio Northern and John Carroll will get better playing games in the OAC Tournament. Other than Trine, the only place for them to go in the rankings is down. The absolute best they could do is 4th (5th if Trine upsets Hope), because whomever wins the OAC (unless it's a real dark-horse) will pass Transy. There's no chance they'll finish ahead of Hope, regardless of what happens in the MIAC, and as long as DePauw makes the NCAC finals, the same holds. If Transy wins the HCAC, they will finish behind DePauw, Hope, and whomever wins the OAC, and if Transy finishes 4th or 5th in their region with ZERO games vs. RRO's, there will be some extraordinarily upset folks, and they'll have a legitimate argument, if they are chosen to host.

If they don't win the HCAC, they would be in serious jeopardy of not getting in at all without any games vs. RRO's, which, to my knowledge, have not been factors thus far in the first three rankings, but will be an important criteria for the final one.

I'm telling you, Transy is as good as anyone in the Great Lakes region except Hope - but as I've said, any HCAC team that wants to be treated like other, more prominent programs at the end of the year, really need to go out and schedule some of the better OAC and UAA teams, and not rely on the old venus fly-trap strategy of only getting quality opponents when they'll come play in one of your events (if you think I'm picking on Transy, I'm not, the only quality non-conference team I remember Bluffton playing during their 2015-18 run was when St. Thomas came and played in their event) or accidentally bump into a quality team at someone else's event.

I'll bet they get sent to Ogelthorpe - either as a conference champion in the #2 slot or as an at-large in the #3 spot. It really might make very little difference HOW they get in. If it's Oglethorpe, they REALLY match-up well with them and could very well advance out of the first weekend - they just need to GET to the first weekend.
I wasn't saying you didn't put it in a different paragraph, I'm saying when they posted the rankings it should have been. They did the same thing in the 2nd rankings as I quoted. It does make it seem like they're saying the final rankings uses the Feb 19th or Feb 12 rankings to determine RRO but it just refers to that specific ranking using the previous week's ranked teams to determine RRO for that week. Transylvania will have a 1-1 RRO when they make the 4th rankings.
They need to hope Hanover beats Franklin though. If they beat Hanover then they're automatically in, if they lose, at least Hanover should stay in the rankings to keep that 1 RRO win.

I am not sure if you guys cleared this up for yourself, but to double-check:

The final rankings have vRRO from Week 3 and the end and are the ONLY rankings that do that. Every other ranking does not have more than what was available from the previous week. Week 1 (none; no vRRO data), Week 2 (Week 1 data), Week 3 (Week 2 data).

The RACs and national committee rank on Sunday with vRRO data based on the Week 3 rankings. The national committee makes any adjustments they need to make from the RACs and set the rankings. Then when all games are complete, the vRRO data is tabulated AGAIN with Week 3 and the current rankings combined for that vRRO. The national committee makes any more necessary adjustments that this retabulation may cause and locks in the rankings for selections.

The idea is that (a) a team is not punished when a team slips out of the rankings at the very end due to conference tournaments and (b) a team isn't suddenly rewarded for a team slipping into the rankings due to the conference tournaments. It is a nice compromised from the "once ranked, always ranked" which got out of control quickly and was done away with after one season.

I hope that makes sense.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Baldini

Transylvania is the only school with 2 Jostens Trophy finalists.

https://www.transysports.com/sports/wbkb/2019-20/releases/20200303sq8np0

FCGrizzliesGrad

2020 All Conference teams

Player of the Year – Alexis Nall, Hanover College
Defensive Player of the Year – Hannah Hawkins, Anderson University
Freshman of the Year – Chloe Jansen, Mount St. Joseph University
Coach of the Year – John Jones, Hanover College
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

FCGrizzliesGrad

Pioneers fall in the first round to Randolph-Macon 78-68.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Jester1390

Rose hulman just shut school down. Online classes to begin on March 23rd

FCGrizzliesGrad

3 players named to the All-Region team

1st team: Alexis Nall - Hanover
2nd team: Shelby Boyle - Transylvania
3rd team: Ashton Woodard - Transylvania

Plus rookie of the year
Chloe Jansen - Mount St Joseph

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Baldini

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on March 17, 2020, 11:21:27 AM
3 players named to the All-Region team

1st team: Alexis Nall - Hanover
2nd team: Shelby Boyle - Transylvania
3rd team: Ashton Woodard - Transylvania

Plus rookie of the year
Chloe Jansen - Mount St Joseph

Nall, Boyle and Woodard were 3 ladies that were a joy to watch over the years. Wishing them continued success in their next careers equal or greater than that of the success on the hardwood. 

Jester1390

Well Engine

Big news for Rose today they signed the 6 footer out of texas who had 5 d1 offers.  She is going to be a 4 and some 3 and she can ball handle like my other favorite 6 footer on the team. I was told she is even more athletic then Nosa which would be saying something.

In smaller news to others maybe but a huge relief to me my kid has decided to return to Rose and wants to be an engineer.

Rose also has signed 3 other players that i dont know much about them.. They are still trying ot sign a point guard or 2.

Interesting note they are trying to recruit a 24 year old from Israel who just finished her military stint for the country but there not sure if she will decide to come. Would make for a interesting dynamic.

Lastly from what i have heard is that all 7 freshman will be coming back.  New schedule is posted with tournaments in North Park and IWU and non confrence with Knox,Berea and St.Mary woods

Jester1390

Engine

Here is video of the newest addition to rose  She is Manuella Shomba from Texas. She is more athletic then Nosa and that is saying something. She had several D-1 offers. Her sister is on Rose soccer team

https://www.ncsasports.org/womens-basketball-recruiting/texas/hutto/hutto-high-school/manuella-shomba

RogK

I wonder about the accuracy of her listed overall FG% of 28%. Nearly all of her baskets in the highlight videos are layups. If she was primarily a three-point shooter, 28% would be more plausible.
Also you originally referred to her as a six-footer but they list her as 5'9".
We'll learn what's what in November, hopefully.