MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Colby Hoops on November 17, 2019, 02:50:57 PM
Quote from: ContinentalDomer on November 17, 2019, 11:12:54 AM
While it's tough to tell much on one view, Gilmour appeared to show deeper range, more arc, and more consistency on his threes.  He did get into some trouble with TOs and charging fouls.  He's very aggressive, of course.  But the team chemistry and the trust will come and that will help him reduce TOs - better spacing, locating the player whose man doubled, taking advantage of kick-outs, spotting defensive rotations, etc. 

It was certainly encouraging to see them win without Denloye, without much from Lutz (had one big 4-point play), and with Gilmour on the bench during their comeback.  There's plenty to build upon from here.

Quote from: nescacfaninbos on November 17, 2019, 10:20:34 AM
Did not get a chance to watch the Hamilton game but one thing that stands out in the box score is that Gilmour scored 27 points on only 12 shots - that's remarkable efficiency.

I'm bullish on Hamilton -- Gilmour is one of the very best players in the country, and I think there is enough depth and talent to fill out a solid squad around him.

I voted for them Top 25 and will continue to unless things change.  They lost a lot, but they brought in a terrific recruiting class that will fill holes in the right places.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

nescac1

Nkosi Cooper is going to be nasty.  Not sure if he can shoot from outside (no threes attempted so far), but the only guys in the league who are MAYBE as fast with the ball in their hands in the open floor are Farrell and Robinson.  Really electric but also under control.  Williams and Hamilton both seem to have loaded frosh classes, badly needed in light of who graduated.

Impressed by Colby and Hamilton this weekend.  1-6 (at least) NESCAC is going to be very tough this weekend.  And all of those teams play with a ton of pace.  It may be a wild year of high scoring affairs. 

Colby Hoops

A few very early thoughts after the first weekend:

• First off, shoutout to Sam Jefferson. 40 points is impressive no matter the competition. With so much other offensive talent at Colby, it's hard for defenses to focus on him enough, and he keeps making them pay.
  • Watched a fair amount of the two Williams games. Spivy actually looks pretty in control and comfortable despite the bad shooting, not too worried about his start. Prowitt-Smith is going to be an absolute star and Karren is very skilled. Feinberg is underrated, one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Still think there will be some growing pains for Williams, particularly against teams that can make Karp work down low, but lots to be excited about going forward.
  • Freshman class across the league looks very good so far, and we haven't even seen Amherst or Bates play. Williams and Hamilton seem loaded, I thought the two freshman bigs at Bowdoin both looked like solid players, and for Will King to be starting for Colby says a lot about how they feel about his future.
  • This is my big overreaction for the weekend (and obviously very premature considering some teams haven't even played yet). I think that there's a decent chance a non-Amherst/Midd team can win the league. As I've said, I think Hamilton is still really good, Tufts is loaded offensively, Colby is the same (and has a lot of experienced players). I think Amherst and Midd are still clearly the favorites, but I think there's a pretty good chance (35%?) that one of those three other teams I mentioned (and maybe even Williams) wins the regular season.

nescac1

I agree with all of Colby Hoops' thoughts on the league. Jefferson continues to be one of the most under-appreciated top players in the region.

Outside of NESCAC, not too many teams in the region off to a terrific start.  WPI and Endicott each lost one.  Eastern Conn, two.  Salem State, Albertus Magnus, St Joe's all have at least one loss.  Babson seems pretty loaded, led by transfer PG Crew Ainge.  That's of interest here because Babson could potentially play five Nescac teams (at least three) in its next seven games!  Nichols looks very strong again, but one of their two bigs played one minute in opener and has not played since.  If he's injured they are in trouble.  MIT way way down. 

Springfield is off to a 4-0 start despise having basically 2.5 impactful guys.  But man, look at Jake Ross's stat line.  He's a man amongst boys:

35-10-6, plus 3 steals and 1 block, 50-42-83, fewer than 2 TOs.  Otherworldly.  He was probably at 75 percent most of last year.  Clearly healthy this year.  And Heath Post is big time as well. 

SpringSt7

Is anyone else having trouble viewing schedules and other such issues on certain team sites? Wondering if it's an issue on my end or if it has something to do with the website builder--certain schools that use the same client I'm unable to view their schedules or sort their stats.

Colby Hoops

Quote from: SpringSt7 on November 18, 2019, 09:30:21 AM
Is anyone else having trouble viewing schedules and other such issues on certain team sites? Wondering if it's an issue on my end or if it has something to do with the website builder--certain schools that use the same client I'm unable to view their schedules or sort their stats.

I usually go through Nescac.com to sort stats or schedules, seems to always work for me.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: SpringSt7 on November 18, 2019, 09:30:21 AM

Recently the Presto schools' schedules have been getting picked up by my add blocker.  I'm having to whitelist the pages when I get there.  It's only been just the last 4-5 days.  That might be it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

amh63

Amherst, the last out of the Nescac gate...so to speak.  Plays tonight away.  There is a video preview on the Amherst athletic website.  Some jersey number changes....a relative large team.  Interested to see who steps into the 5 position.  Expect lots of rotation of players.  Early season games...non conf.....are for evaluation of "team" play, especially on the defensive side, imho.  Lots of scorers returning. 

nescac1

Ephs and Oneonta headed to overtime.  Williams playing (mostly) good D and hitting the boards really hard but cannot get a shot to fall to save their lives.  A lack of offensive continuity, not shocking for a young team playing such a huge rotation, but also, one of those games where there seems to be a lid on the basket -- at least 7-8 shots have rimmed out.  Hopefully they can pull this one out, but either way, a good learning experience for this squad still finding its way. 

Colby Hoops

Colby with an easy win over UMaine-Farmington. Mules led by 30 within the first ten minutes and then cruised from there despite a somewhat sloppy second half. Sam Jefferson again led the way with 25 points (20 in the first half). The rest of the offensive load was pretty balanced against an overmatched UMF team. Dean Weiner looks to be working his way back to form, had a few nice blocked shots and contested rebounds. I was very impressed by freshman Will King -- plays with a lot of swagger for a freshman. Great court vision, ballhandling and is crafty around the basket.

Tufts with another impressive win, this time over UMass-Dartmouth (who beat Trinity over the weekend). Luke Rogers with a monster line -- 25 pts, 23 rebounds and 3 blocks. Impressive start for the Jumbos.

Trinity drops their second game of the season, this one to Jim Calhoun's St Joe's team. A team that got trounced by RIC in their opener. Not the start to the year the Bantams were hoping for.

Looked like a solid win for Midd on the road, behind a very good Jack Farrell game. Will let the Midd posters recap that one.

Williams loses in OT to an 0-2 SUNY Oneonta team. Just watched the last few minutes and overtime, but interesting to see the offense already running through Cole Prowitt-Smith in these key situations. I expect the Ephs will be a much better team by the end of the year, but there are going to be some growing pains along the way.

nescac1

Well the Eph offensive struggles continued in overtime but then had a lot of tired-looking mental lapses on D. 

Player of the game for the Ephs' was Jovan Jones, who despite an off-shooting day had 14-12-2 plus played his customary tremendous D.  He battled his way for 10 offensive boards.  But a lot of close-in looks just did not drop.

Cole Prowitt-Smith came down to earth from his last game but still showed glimpses of his immense talent, while at the same time making some frosh mistakes (especially on D).  He seemed like the only Eph out there who could get his own shot, but alas, a lot of makeable shots didn't drop for him.  I thought he got fouled a number of times without a call, but he will learn to sell those better over time.  He finished with 17-6-3, but on 6-18 shooting.  Still, he continues to look really good.  May be the Ephs' best player by January at this rate, or at least in the running with Jovan and Karp.   

Karp got very few touches near the rim, Oneonta's big, strong bodies inside kept him out of the pain.  Ephs needs to find more ways to get him involved.  Spencer Spivy's rough start to the season continues, and until he gets going from outside, the Ephs lack the scoring punch they really need.  I feel like he just needs one or two to drop to get confidence and some rhythm going. 

Two other Eph frosh both had nice moments, Nate Karren and Alex Stoddard.  Both seem like they will be players down the line, and hopefully by later this season.  Both have some outside ability which is badly needed right now.

One more note, Michael Myers is going to be in the Eph grit hall of fame alone with Jim Frew, John Botti, and Chuck Abba.  He does not have the offensive game of any of those guys, but plays with the same sort of fire.  Drew two more brutal charges today, and finished a tough and-one.  Guy maximizes every inch of his ability. 

Tough to see the Ephs' lose this very winnable game, but a road loss to a solid veteran squad will be a growing experience.  The Ephs have loads of athletic talent, just need to get into more of an offensive rhythm, figure out who their go-to scorers are (my sense is that it will be Karp, CPS, and hopefully Spivy), and just relax and start finishing the bottom of the net from deep.  But I really like the grit, hustle, and determination of this group of guys.

middhoops

Keene is always a tough place to play.  Older fans remember when we were briefly #1 back around 2012 and went in there and lost a game on a last second put back.
Came out with a ten point win tonight behind a solid 24 point effort by Jack Farrell who was, basically, un-guardable.
Junior forward Ryan Cahill had his best game as a Panther, playing tough D and dropping 3 treys.
Folger dropped in 19 and Eastman (who does magical things out there) added 13.  His post moves and some of his steals are so fast you beg for replay.

In three games, Midd seems to have played to the level of their opponent each time out.  There is no mistaking a ton of talent and some better depth than expected.  When it comes together one of these days, the running game will light up a gym and some serious scoring will take place.
Until then, Middlebury will battle out more tough wins.

amh63

Guess posters awaiting my post on Amherst's opening game.  After a 8-8 tie, Amherst went on a long run and won easily over an opponent that could not hit a basket and had too many turnovers.  Announcers basically stated that if Amherst hits 50 points at the half, the game was over.  Amherst didn't hit 50 but it was close...and it was over.  Almost everyone on Amherst's squad got into the game.  Amherst's defense set the tone and pace of the game.  Team defense was the focus of practice...as players were rotated in and out of the game.  Different combo of players on the floor for evaluation by Toomey.
Two more games ahead in Amherst's annual home tourney this weekend.  More team defense evaluation ahead.  Non conference early games are for preparation of the conference games ahead, IMO.  Tried to check in on other conference teams....but it was hard when all games, with the exception of the Bowdoin home game...love that announcer...started at 7pm.

Pepin01

Quote from: Bucket on November 16, 2019, 10:30:53 PM
Quote from: Old Guy on November 16, 2019, 09:51:26 PM
Pay little or no attention to my evaluations of Midd opponents. I thought the SUNY Canton-Wentworth game last night at Midd was a snoozefest — neither team impressed me. On the other hand, I liked Bridgewater State, who really extended Midd in a four point loss (four point Midd win) 85-81. So this afternoon, SUNY Canton knocked off Bridgewater and Wentworth gave Middlebury a real test before falling 75-64 (Wentworth was up at the half). I concluded that yesterday's Wentworth-SUNY Canton game was between two pretty good defensive teams.

Ahead by two (52-50) with eight minutes to go today, Midd went on a nice run, highlighted by Folger's two contested corner threes. Folger scored his 1000th point in the first half. At the risk of condescension, I mention what a great kid (sorry, young man) he is. He's such a versatile player: 6'8", an outside shooter, a shot blocker and rebounder. A player easy to like on many levels. All-time favorite.

As others have said, all five starters today (Middlebury starts three point guards who can score) finished in double figures. Farrell was more of his kamikaze self in this game: 13 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals. Midd shot better from three (9-23), though Farrell/Bosco/Kornaker were only 3-12. Folger's 4-5 certainly helped.

Must mention some history here. For those of us who go back a way (I am "Old Guy," after all), the presence of a Bridgewater State team in our gym introduces profound emotions, memories. As Middlebury was going from NESCAC middle of the pack to really good, we played Bridgewater State in an NCAA tournament game in our gym in 2008-09. What a great season we had had, 24-4, NESCAC champs, hardly an every year thing for Middlebury. We were not accustomed to such success.

We were up by five points with 35 seconds to play before a raucous full house in the NCAA first round game. Game over, right? Nay, nay. Bridgewater State player Stace Garrick hit two threes from deep . . .  not deep really, different time zone, seriously, 25-30 footers, the second to beat us at the buzzer, 78-76. Nice ride home for the Bears, broken hearts for the home folks, a second JD for me in the inevitable post mortems. in a local watering hole, drowning my sorrows. Unforgettable. 

Sports! Thrill ya, kill ya.

You know I'm a stickler for facts, OG—the Bridgewater tournament loss was actually in the second round; Midd had a bye in the first round. And Garrick's second dagger wasn't at the buzzer. There was time on the clock for NESCAC POY Ben Rudin to race up the floor and get off a potential game-winner from 18. Rimmed out.

If you're a real stickler for facts, Bucket, you'll remember that the shot didn't rim out, but rather hit front rim. Makes you wonder if fresh legs would have sent Rudin and a very talented Middlebury team deep into that tournament!

Conts Fan

Hamilton up by 40 but Gilmour isn't playing...anyone know why?