BB: NWC: Northwest Conference

Started by Tezbaseball, December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playball

In retirement from professional baseball most likely...

CrashDavisD3

Chapman plays 14 games with NWC teams in 2012:-X

Chapman does not duck anyone. Also plays Kean, and Trinity outside of the SCIAC. Could be the toughest schedule in the nation in 2012. Chapman will need a strong SOS to get a pool C bid since they can not get either a Pool A or Pool B bid in their transition year in the SCIAC conference.

George Fox, Linfield, Pac Lu, Whitman.

2012 Schedule
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

cat_fan_08

It's January 2nd, that means practice is right around the corner. NWC looks to be strong again this year. Who is going to surprise this year?

CrashDavisD3

Linfields Scott Brosius leads Team USA to Gold Medal
Link to story
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

wildcat11

Word is coming out that Linfield will once again be hosting a regional this year!  Can't wait!

wildcat11

'Cats preseason ranked #4 and I'm looking forward to getting to watch this team in action.  Go 'Cats!

http://www.d3baseball.com/top25/2012/2012week-0

Whatagame

Hello NWC baseball fans:

New D3 Boards member here just introducing myself.  I've now got a son playing in the league, and will be attending a fair amount of games.  I'm looking forward to a great season, and hopefully offering some objective viewpoints and observations on this forum.

For what it's worth, the NWC coaches poll was posted two days ago, I don't think there are any surprises, but it's pre-season, everyone is tied for first, and they'll still be playing the games to decide a winner....

http://www.nwcsports.com/sports/bsb/2011-12/releases/bbpoll

Piobark

Looks like it was unanimous that LC would finish last :(

While the rosters haven't been posted, I've heard they will have more new players than returners - which implies largely a freshman team. Lots of untested and unknowns there.

What ought to be a primary concern is pitching. For LC (and for any D3 team), success always begins with pitching and pitching depth - and most of last year's staff for LC won't be back. Of the six pitchers with more than 20 IP, only two (Gural and Hathaway) are returning.

Well, hopefully Coach Flynn has some jewels in the new players - especially some pitching!!!

Piobark

wildcat11

Quote from: Piobark on February 02, 2012, 01:55:27 PM

What ought to be a primary concern is pitching. For LC (and for any D3 team), success always begins with pitching and pitching depth -

This and this. 

The long ball is fun but if you have quality pitching and the defense behind it you're going to battle each weekend.

CA_dreamin

http://www.nwcsports.com/sports/bsb/2011-12/releases/bbpoll

Looks like UPS second place finish last year didn't earn them a lot of respect. Still 16 points behind George Fox.  And 12 behind Pac Lu.

wildcat11

CA_dreamin,

UPS does brings back most of their top performers but the Loggers could only manage a 3-6 vs Lin, GFU, and PLU last year.  However, I do find it curious the coaches put Pacific ahead of UPS considering the Loggers swept that series last season. 

BigPoppa

Quote from: wildcat11 on February 03, 2012, 12:56:18 PM
CA_dreamin,

UPS does brings back most of their top performers but the Loggers could only manage a 3-6 vs Lin, GFU, and PLU last year.  However, I do find it curious the coaches put Pacific ahead of UPS considering the Loggers swept that series last season.

What happened last season has little do do with will happen this season.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

wildcat11

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 03, 2012, 01:06:39 PM
Quote from: wildcat11 on February 03, 2012, 12:56:18 PM
CA_dreamin,

What happened last season has little do do with will happen this season.

Come on..last season's results along with who's coming back on a roster has much to do with how these preseason polls are put together and voted on.

Piobark

Not to mention that how a player did the previous year is a strong indicator of how they will do this year.... e.g. if a guy hit .400 with 10 HRs, I would be encouraged to see them returning for another season.

Piobark

2007   2008   2009   2010   2011
Linfield          3   1   3   1   1
Puget Sound   4   6   6   4   2
George Fox          2   2   1   3   3
Pacific (Ore.)   8   4   5   6   3
Whitworth          5   7   7   6   5
Pacific Lutheran   1   3   1   2   5
Willamette           5   5   4   4   7
Whitman          9   9   9   9   8
Lewis & Clark   5   7   8   8   9

Hope the formatting holds up... The above table attempts to show final standings for each year for the last five years. Seems like the prior year is a pretty good predictor of the coming year. Basically if Linfield, George Fox and PLU don't end up as 2 of the top 3, it is a major upset. And if LC or Whitman don't end up in the basement, equally a upset.