FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedAndBlack and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

PolarCat

Quote from: amh63 on September 23, 2018, 09:48:38 AM
Did Trinity run up the score??   

When you keep your starting QB in till the score is 52-9, it's kind of hard to argue otherwise, isn't it?  It's not like Vezzano needed the practice; the young man had a day.

I like the way the Bants kicked it into another gear when Bates came back at 14-9.  I loved the play of their 8 ft. tall, sub 4 second 40 WR's.  (It's a surfeit of riches to have more than one).  And though we all know kickers aren't really football players, that Eric Sachse 50 yard FG was a thing of beauty.  But 59-16?  In the past, I'd assumed Devanney just held a grudge against Harriman.  Now I am not sure what to think.

On the other side of the ball, Bates D played great for the first half, though missing 2 of their key starters.  And Sachse will get a well-deserved Special Teams POTW, but Bates' Justin Foley worked his butt off: 10 punts for 384 yards; kickoffs of 60, 60, 60 and 50 yards; his first collegiate FG from 36 yards; His first collegiate PAT plus a blocked PAT; and 2 touchdown saving tackles on returns (for which he was not credited).  The kid is a workhorse. 

While the Bobcat D looked solid for the first half, they couldn't cover those 8-foot tall WR's in the second.  (The matchups were like Doug Flutie and Pee Wee Herman marking up on Lew Alcindor and Manute Bol).  The Special Teams play was weak; if Foley couldn't tackle, the score would have been 73-16.  And Costa is the only solid player on the O right now, as his WR's can't get separation or make plays on catchable balls.  Not a good day for the Garnet.

PS: The webcast announcer referenced a Bant player who was a starter this year, after spending last season on "the scout team".  A NESCAC program with a "scout team"?  Wow.  Devanney is making good use of those 327 FY FB players he gets through Admissions each year.   :-[

frank uible

amh63 - It's Raymond with whom I'm most impressed to date. But one robin doesn't make a Spring.

JoeBag

Quote from: PolarCat on September 23, 2018, 11:33:58 AM
Quote from: amh63 on September 23, 2018, 09:48:38 AM
Did Trinity run up the score??   

When you keep your starting QB in till the score is 52-9, it's kind of hard to argue otherwise, isn't it?  It's not like Vezzano needed the practice; the young man had a day.

I like the way the Bants kicked it into another gear when Bates came back at 14-9.  I loved the play of their 8 ft. tall, sub 4 second 40 WR's.  (It's a surfeit of riches to have more than one).  And though we all know kickers aren't really football players, that Eric Sachse 50 yard FG was a thing of beauty.  But 59-16?  In the past, I'd assumed Devanney just held a grudge against Harriman.  Now I am not sure what to think.

On the other side of the ball, Bates D played great for the first half, though missing 2 of their key starters.  And Sachse will get a well-deserved Special Teams POTW, but Bates' Justin Foley worked his butt off: 10 punts for 384 yards; kickoffs of 60, 60, 60 and 50 yards; his first collegiate FG from 36 yards; His first collegiate PAT plus a blocked PAT; and 2 touchdown saving tackles on returns (for which he was not credited).  The kid is a workhorse. 

While the Bobcat D looked solid for the first half, they couldn't cover those 8-foot tall WR's in the second.  (The matchups were like Doug Flutie and Pee Wee Herman marking up on Lew Alcindor and Manute Bol).  The Special Teams play was weak; if Foley couldn't tackle, the score would have been 73-16.  And Costa is the only solid player on the O right now, as his WR's can't get separation or make plays on catchable balls.  Not a good day for the Garnet.

PS: The webcast announcer referenced a Bant player who was a starter this year, after spending last season on "the scout team".  A NESCAC program with a "scout team"?  Wow.  Devanney is making good use of those 327 FY FB players he gets through Admissions each year.   :-[

For the record, the score was 45 to 9 at approximately the 7 minute mark in the 3rd quarter when Trinity rested all of their starters on O and D. The last 2 scores of the game for the Bant's were runs by FR Lockwood who had more yards for the day than Chipouras! I am not sure how you tell your second team to 'play soft'. They are competing for more playing time. Shouldn't they continue to play hard regardless of the score? 

I am not positive, but I think the web announcer was referring to Koby Schoffer. He was recruited as a QB and was a scout team QB his FY. Sophomore year he moved to WR and had a breakout season. He made a beautiful one handed catch in the 3rd that could make the Sports Center Top 10 plays of the weekend. He is 5'11" but plays like he is 8 foot tall!

Were you trying to be funny with your 'scout team' comment or do you really not understand what a scout team is?

PolarCat

Quote from: JoeBag on September 23, 2018, 04:32:54 PM
For the record, the score was 45 to 9 at approximately the 7 minute mark in the 3rd quarter when Trinity rested all of their starters on O and D.

According to the box score on the Trinity website (which admittedly could be wrong), with the score 45 to 9, Vazanno took the ball down to the 2 yard line, where Lockwood pushed it in. So either the box score is wrong, or Vazzano was still in the game for that drive, when Trin went up 52-9.  As Yogi Berra would say, "You could look it up."  http://www.bantamsports.com/sports/fball/2018-19/boxscores/20180922_7wi9.xml?view=plays

frank uible

Trin9-0

Quote from: PolarCat on September 23, 2018, 05:19:38 PM
For the record, the score was 45 to 9 at approximately the 7 minute mark in the 3rd quarter when Trinity rested all of their starters on O and D.

According to the box score on the Trinity website (which admittedly could be wrong), with the score 45 to 9, Vazanno took the ball down to the 2 yard line, where Lockwood pushed it in. So either the box score is wrong, or Vazzano was still in the game for that drive, when Trin went up 52-9.  As Yogi Berra would say, "You could look it up."  http://www.bantamsports.com/sports/fball/2018-19/boxscores/20180922_7wi9.xml?view=plays

The play-by-play summary also notes that the last pass attempt by Vazzano was an incompletion on a 3rd and 23. That drive started with 11:48 left in the THIRD quarter. At the time Trinity lead by 26 points.

After that, Bates fumbled on consecutive possessions deep in their own territory. Trinity ran a combined 5 running plays on their subsequent drives which both resulted in touchdowns. The rest of the game Trinity's back-up quarterback, Ben Brooks, played and the Bantams attempted just 3 passes.

In my view these Bobcat turnovers are what led to the score getting out of hand in a hurry in the third quarter. The play calling following Sachse's 50 yard field goal (26 rushing attempts vs. 3 passes from their second-string QB) suggests Trinity was as conservative as could be expected in the second half.
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

amh63

It's Monday and after a Sunday of sports watching....I am resting a bit...before my morning chores.  Yes retirement can be tiring :).  The Redskins won over the Packers!  I watched the Tiger Woods's 80th Major win!  Who won the Cowboys game?
Have to give space here to the Bates's surprising futbol win over Williams on Sunday....rather than on the soccer board.  Williams beat the highly ranked Amherst soccer team at Amherst on Sat. :'(. Want to note that both Bowdoin newspapers did Not have an article on the strong showing against Midd on Sat. in an away game.  Somewhat sad, imho.  Amherst will play Bowdoin in their new facility next.  Should be an interesting Nescacman preview.

polbear73

[q'(. Want to note that both Bowdoin newspapers did Not have an article on the strong showing against Midd on Sat. in an away game.  Somewhat sad, imho.  Amherst will play Bowdoin in their new facility next.  Should be an interesting Nescacman preview.
[/quote]

amh63:  The Bowdoin student newspaper, The Orient, is a weekly and game accounts are usually posted on the following Friday.  There was an account of the game in the Portland Press Herald as well as on the Bowdoin website.  Additionally, there is a second article announcing that Nate Richam's 288 yard rushing performance earned C0-offensive Player of the Week in NESCAC. 

ColbyFootball

Quote from: Trin8-0 on September 24, 2018, 09:39:54 AM

The play-by-play summary also notes that the last pass attempt by Vazzano was an incompletion on a 3rd and 23. That drive started with 11:48 left in the THIRD quarter. At the time Trinity lead by 26 points.

After that, Bates fumbled on consecutive possessions deep in their own territory. Trinity ran a combined 5 running plays on their subsequent drives which both resulted in touchdowns. The rest of the game Trinity's back-up quarterback, Ben Brooks, played and the Bantams attempted just 3 passes.

In my view these Bobcat turnovers are what led to the score getting out of hand in a hurry in the third quarter. The play calling following Sachse's 50 yard field goal (26 rushing attempts vs. 3 passes from their second-string QB) suggests Trinity was as conservative as could be expected in the second half.
I watched Trinity beat up Colby for 4 years, and not once did I see them run up the score. To the contrary, I watched them around the 5 yard line at the end of one game when they could have easily scored. And they took a knee.

polbear73

Believe me, Trinity has had its way with Bowdoin (last year was something like 63-14) for many years and I've never seen an example of Trinity running up the score.  The starters have expectations and have earned the right to play and you're certainly not going to ask second and third string players not to play hard.  It's an insult to the losing team to back off and if you're concerned with someone running up the score on you-stop them.  There's no point as NESCAC teams are not playing for poll votes, 

lumbercat

Quote from: Trin8-0 on September 24, 2018, 09:39:54 AM

I have to agree with Trin 8-1 here. His account of the game is pretty accurate. The final score was exacerbated by the fact that Coach Hall wisely took his starters out in the fourth quarter. Essentially you had the Trinity 2s versus the Bates 2s which was even more of a mismatch in favor of Trinity.

A wise move by Hall, why risk injury trying to keep the score closer when you are getting  waxed.

Though not the case on Saturday, I've seen Trinity run it up. Last year, leading 44-0 they threw a pass with 9 seconds left at the Bates 15 yard line for a TD to make it 51-0 as time expired. I had never seen anything quite like that- anybody else would have taken a knee.

nescac1

Question: folks here have mentioned that the schedule will start rotating.  For the most part sounds like a good thing to me so that weeks 1-5 no longer feature (typically) one exciting game and four egregious mismatches.  But will that effect the end of season rivalries?  Would stink to no longer have Williams-Amherst, Wesleyan-Trinity, and CBB rivalry games to end the season ...

lumbercat

Nescac1
Thats everybody's question at this point. I haven't heard anything concrete as to detail on just how the changes will go.
This is a case for NESCACman and his correspondents- he must have the answer.

nescac1

amh63

I pointed out the Bowdoin newspapers....one is a daily one, I believe.  Yes, Polar Bear runner had a terrific record setting day.  More on campus notice...rather than the brief article on the the sports website would generate more student excitement wrt the football program rebuild...IMO.
Must confess that attendance number at the Amherst home game was a disappointment.   Three Williams vs Amherst home games and a number of Amherst teams away...tennis, golf, x-country, etc. may have impacted the first home football game attendance.  How does attendance numbers come about when you generally do NOT pay to attend sports event...at Amherst.  Even the NCAA sports events are free for students...at Amherst.  Minor sports trivia.  There is a large Robert Frost statue placed near The War Memorial...paid for by an Amherst class.  It is situated between the baseball field below and the Robert Frost library.  Robert Frost was an ardent baseball fan...and would often be seen in the baseball stands watching the game and chatting with fellow faculty members and other fans.
The Amherst vs Bates game in Maine reported 2000 in attendance!   Very impressive!