BB: NACC: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by bodhi5, February 01, 2006, 10:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

Quote from: REDMENFAN on February 20, 2006, 02:00:42 PM
What's the story with Pluscinski? I remember reading about him, and I believe he played in the northwoods league as well one summer and did very well. If I'm understanding it right, he transferred to I'm guessing a D-1 for a semester and realized he wasn't going to pitch and then transferred to oshkosh at semester and also didn't pitch much? Someone please fill me in. If this is the case, I wonder why he just didn't transfer back to Lakeland.
He did play in the Northwoods league.......

He transferred to the University of Arizona following the 2004 season, after Head Coach John Weber resigned.  He then found himself a little "deeper" on the depth chart than he would have liked so he decided to transfer to UW Oshkosh.  There were then some problems with his credits/transcripts from Arizona, which delayed the start of his season at Oshkosh.  If everything would have been in line, he probably would have been UWO's #2 behind Ben Huffman. 

All in all, it appeared to be far from what a lot of guys hope their senior season to be.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

REDMENFAN

Thanks for the info. That is a pretty tough way to end your collegiate baseball career. Did he pitch at all for Oshkosh? Also, any word on him now if he is trying to play anywhere and maybe get a shot in the minors some day?

cubs

Quote from: REDMENFAN on February 20, 2006, 03:48:46 PM
Did he pitch at all for Oshkosh? Also, any word on him now if he is trying to play anywhere and maybe get a shot in the minors some day?

Here are his stats from last season, in limited action:

ERA   W-L    G   GS   IP     H    R   ER  BB  SO  OPP BA
Steve Plucinski.....  5.19   2-2     8   3    26.0  31  23  15  11  31    .298   

As far as the post-college goes, he was released by the Gary South Shore Railcats in July of 2005, and I'm not really sure if he hooked on with anyone else.

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on February 20, 2006, 08:29:08 PM
Quote from: REDMENFAN on February 20, 2006, 03:48:46 PM
Did he pitch at all for Oshkosh? Also, any word on him now if he is trying to play anywhere and maybe get a shot in the minors some day?

Here are his stats from last season, in limited action:

ERA   W-L    G   GS   IP     H    R   ER  BB  SO  OPP BA
Steve Plucinski.....  5.19   2-2     8   3    26.0  31  23  15  11  31    .298   

That should show you the difference between the LMC and the WIAC. The kid was untouchable at Lakeland and average, at best, with UW-Oshkosh.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

pannounce

Elfering graduated last year from the team.  Played his first two years, but ran into shoulder problems his last two and saw limited action.

No question the WIAC is one of the better conferences in the nation, especially when compared to the LMC, however, Plucinksi lost some velocity later in his career because they overused him at Lakeland.  Had he gone to UWO or UWW right out of high school, he may have been drafted because he probably wouldn't have been a two-way player.  He was tough coming out of high school and one of the best pitched games I've ever saw was when Lakeland went to the Series in 2002, and he pitched the opening game against RSW and lost 2-1.  Scouts had him clocked at 92 that game in the seventh inning. 

REDMENFAN

92 in the 7th inning, that's really impressive if in fact he really got clocked at that. I'm not a big fan of pitcher throwing 100+ pitches and then playing a position the very next day where he may have to make some tough throws. If a pitcher is a heck of a hitter, let him DH. But, playing a player in the field after they just pitched, especially once you get to college is just asking for trouble in my opinion

BigPoppa

Quote from: REDMENFAN on February 21, 2006, 01:08:33 PM
92 in the 7th inning, that's really impressive if in fact he really got clocked at that. I'm not a big fan of pitcher throwing 100+ pitches and then playing a position the very next day where he may have to make some tough throws. If a pitcher is a heck of a hitter, let him DH. But, playing a player in the field after they just pitched, especially once you get to college is just asking for trouble in my opinion

Some guys can do it though... Gavin Winfield was a great two-way player for Carthage in the mid 90s... All-American pitcher/outfielder in '96. It is much easier to do as an outfielder than an infielder. He usually pitched game on Saturday and DH in gam#2 , then Outfield on Sunday. This was when the CCIW has saturday and Sunday doubleheaders in conference.

REDMENFAN

I agree that most of the time it is easier to do if you are an outfielderbecause many times in a game you can go without having to try and throw someone out. As an infielder, chances are you are going to have to throw someone out several times with a lot of velocity on the ball, not to mention the arm angles infielders often throw with because of the positions their bodies are in to make a play. Also, last year I know Carthage still had Saturday double headers and a single on sunday a lot of times for conference series, did they go away from that this year?

BigPoppa

I think the CCIW still plays the DH on Saturday and a single on Sunday... they used to have DHs on BOTH Saturday and Sunday... two different schools, one each day!

REDMENFAN

Oh, thanks for the clarifying. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the CCIW go to a 4 game series on weekends, 2 games each day. That would be 7 more games in the season for the players to play, so why not? I know wisconsin parkside, which is only a few minutes from carthage, plays 4 game series over the weekend in the GLVC. That is a D-2 conference, maybe that has something to do with it. Anyone know if there are any d3 conferences out there that play 4 game series against their conference opponents?

CoachKs

Here is my Preseason NIIC Top 5 ratings.

Aurora
Rockford
Benedictine
Clarke
Concordia

Who wouldn't agree with that order?

Who will lead the NIIC in Hits, Runs,Steals, HR,Wins,SO?

cubs

Quote from: REDMENFAN on February 22, 2006, 10:57:38 AM
Anyone know if there are any d3 conferences out there that play 4 game series against their conference opponents?
The WIAC does.  They play either 2 games Friday/2 games Saturday, or 2 games Saturday/2 games Sunday.

Each school always has one team that they play 2 DH's on two Wednesday's during the season, since there aren't enough weekends to get in 6-Four game series.

BigPoppa

The back to back Dhs makes a case for pitching depth... you either have it or get hammered on Sundays...

cubs

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 22, 2006, 04:35:14 PM
The back to back Dhs makes a case for pitching depth... you either have it or get hammered on Sundays...
Which may be the reason some non-WIAC schools (LMC, MWC) are starting to see more success against WIAC opponents in the last couple of years.

sportsguru90

Here is my pick for the conference.

1. Rockford
2. Aurora
3. Benedictine
4. Clarke
5. Concordia
6. Eureka

I am also going to say that both Rockford and Aurora get NCAA bids.

What do you think?