MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugenerd

Quote from: hugenerd on October 27, 2009, 08:26:35 PM
Official site of Air Avellino, Bartolotta is on the front page:

http://www.scandonebasket.it/

(The front page cycles 3 headlines, the first is a picture of Bartolotta, the third is a picture of DeMarcus Nelson.  I think thats pretty cool)

In the release it says something about him only being with the team for a few weeks, so I am not sure if he signed the equivalent of a 10 day contract or what.

Apparently the reason for Bartolotta only practicing for the next couple of weeks is because he is awaiting his Italian passport (the team is at its foreign player limit).  He should be playing once the technicalities are taken care of.  I believe the site above has a link to their games, but you may have to sign up or pay, the highlights for each game can be found on the main page, though.

http://www.eurobasket.com/Italy/basketball.asp?NewsID=175715

Hugenerd

Bartolotta now listed on Air AV's roster (he's in there with some good company):

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=ITA&Team=2109

Release from his agency:

http://www.twopoints.it/newspage.php?notizia=443

bmull

Interesting opener Tuesday night - NCAA team vs GNAC runner-up - opinions?

Hugenerd

The NCAA team is a much different team than it was last year, especially without their National POY who is now playing in Italy's Serie A.  MIT will not be as perimeter oriented this year.  They have 4 legit 6'8"+ guys on their team, all who will play (3 who will likely start).  MIT also has a really good freshman point guard to fill in for the 3 year starter they lost to graduation.  They are big, long, athletic and they seemingly have depth at every position, which is a big departure from last year's team.  I think the big question mark is their youth, lets see how long it takes all the young guys to get on the same page and get used to the college game.

I dont know much about Emmaneul, except they lost by 22 to MIT in last years opener.  Additionally, Emmaneul has only one player over 6'5" on their roster and no one over 6'7".  I think MIT will pound it into the paint and control the pace of the game.  I dont think the home court will help them that much, I think MIT will win.

tball

Hugenerd

I saw MIT in their final exhibition/scrimmage today against Framingham State.  They looked pretty good.  As I described in my previous post, MIT has 4 guys 6'8"+ who play alot.  They won the first half 51-36 and the second half 43-38.  Game was a bit sloppy both ways with alot of fouls.  Noel Hollingsworth, MIT's 6'9" D1 transfer (from Brown), unofficially had 37 points.

tball

encouraging,  how did Kates, Tashman & Burke look?

Hugenerd

Kates looked really good, more defensively than offensively to be honest.  He really hassled their guards and caused alot of turnovers.  Offensively, he handled the ball well but didnt score much because he didnt have to.  Tashman played well, he is big and athletic, but he didnt play as much as I expected.  I honestly dont remember Burke playing, he may have, but he didnt do anything spectacular if he played.  He isnt going to see a ton of minutes this year, because he will be behind several guys.  The majority of the minutes at the 2 went to Eric Zuk and Billy Bender (both are 6'5" and also play the 3 or the 4, if they have to) because Jamie Karraker didnt play much because he is just getting back into the swing of things after an injury.  Pat Sissman backed up Kates and played solid.  The surprise, for me, was the number of minutes and how well Ben Montgomery played (another freshman).  He is a big kid (one of their 6'8"+ guys) and he is strong and athletic.  He was really causing trouble defensively and was active on the boards.  MIT can consistently play with a lineup that is 6'1", 6'5", 6'8", 6'8", 6'9", if they want to, which is pretty big for d3.  Billy Johnson (6'8"), Zuk (6'5"). Bender (6'5"), and Karraker (6'4") can all shoot the 3 as well, so they are going to be a bit of a riddle to guard.  Noel Hollingsworth really shined, though.  He is a tall, long kid and he knows how to use his body and get position underneath.  He also can finish with either hand and has a mini-hook that is essentially impossible to block. 

However, what stuck out the most in my eyes is how everyone has already bought into Coach Anderson's system.  They may not be as refined as Coach wants yet, but they were flying all over the court giving every ounce of effort they could.  They have a really good group of guys, so I am sure that their ceiling is as high as last year, if they continue listening to Coach and fine tune their execution. 

T990

I don't know how this year's Framingham St team compares to last year, but last year they had wins over Williams, Brandeis, and Salem State.

Hugenerd

Quote from: T990 on November 14, 2009, 07:00:12 PM
I don't know how this year's Framingham St team compares to last year, but last year they had wins over Williams, Brandeis, and Salem State.

Just checked their roster and it looks like they have at least their top 6 scorers back from last years team.

tball

Not only does it appear that FSC has all five starters back, they are all seniors this year.

Hugenerd

Although they had some big wins, they were very inconsistent, finishing 15-13.  After losing to Williams by 11, they beat them by 3 four days later.  Similarly, they lost to Salem State at home by 22, beat them on the road by 4 two weeks later, and then lost to them by 23 on the road two weeks after that.

Hugenerd

MIT beats Emmanuel this evening on the road, 68-54. The margin could have been much larger, but MIT shot awful from the line (11-21) and also missed quite a few makeable shots (layups).  This was the first collegiate game for a lot of the players, so I would expect them to make those shots as they get more used to the college game.  Noel Hollingsworth had 15 and 11, Billy Johnson had 18 and 7, Mitchell Kates had 14, and Wil Tashman had 6 and 10.  Pretty sloppy game all-around for MIT (23 turnovers and only 43% FG), but they were able to get the win with 17 offensive boards (+17 boards overall), holding Emmanuel to 37% FG, and forcing 22 turnovers.

tball

With two freshmen & a sophmore transfer starting and playing 30+ minutes (did Kates or Hollingworth come out in the second half?) the standard deviation may be quite high this season.

Two years from now may be very exciting though.

Hugenerd

I didnt notice Hollingsworth come out, but Pat Sissman played about 1/5-1/4 of the second half in place of Kates.  

In terms of the rotation, it looks like coach is currently going with an 8 man rotation.  3 are true freshman, 2 are sophomores (one of those is in his first year with the team as a transfer), 1 junior, 1 true senior, 1 red-shirt senior.  67% of the minutes were played by freshman or sophomores, and they scored 65% of the points.

Note: Jamie Karraker did not play tonight as he is still waiting to get to 100% after coming back from injury.