MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugenerd

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 09, 2007, 10:10:17 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 14, 2007, 05:39:20 PM
No nominations from MIT.

That actually drew a four-letter word  from someone on our staff, someone who isn't known for such. But we can't hand-hold schools. No way to make sure every worthy player is nominated.

Hugenerd: Just a reminder as to why Bartolotta isn't in the pipeline for preseason honors. It's all one set of nominations, and though we try to make sure we get the missing pieces the following preseason, it isn't a replacement for getting the nominations in in March.

I remember that, I didnt realize it was based on the same nominations. 

Pat Coleman

Well, we try to fill in the pieces, but yeah.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pridefan

first time poster, but veteran reader....

Springfield has had 2 scrimmages now ( Western Conn and Union).  Hard to tell much other than a very solid, balanced starting 5 who can all score and are unselfish - can't just stop them by stopping one person. Better balance than last year.

Lost Pizzo (fiery career assists leader) and Farley (shooter, rebounder).

Starters seem to be
5- Strawson ( Jr, strong - tough to move, draws fouls very well, can score )
4 - Daly ( Sr, versatile inside/outside, tough matchup - shoots 3, posts up )
3 - Crean (Soph, quick, shooter, passer, rebounds)
2- Blackmon (Soph, shooter, slasher, 3ball )
1 - Gibbs ( Sr, very quick w dribble, drives hard, passer/unselfish, nice shot)

Bench has a lot of new faces - good backup at point (White) but rest are mostly young - some show talent and promise.

FYI, Western Conn is athletic but small and relies on 3ball to compete.  Union is very small and also relies on outside shot outside shot.

JustAFan

Clark beats Suffolk in its opener, 85-71, at the Rogers Williams tournament.

Connecticut College surprises Babson, 52-50, down at Drew University and plays Bates tomorrow, which lost to St. Lawrence by 9 tonight.

WPI beats Nichols College 101-80 in the Worcester City tip-off tournament.  Next up is Worcester State, which beat Becker College.

JustAFan

WPI rolled over Worcester State 93-64 in the finals of the City tip-off tournament. WPI was only up 47-40 at the half but dominated second half action and found good minutes for all of its bench for the second game in a row.

Clark U dropped its first game to host Roger Williams, 83-79 in the finals of RW's tournament.  Clark led 45-41 at the half, which saw both teams shoot 55%. Clark cooled off to a very respectable 46% in the 2d half but Roger Williams continued to shoot lights out at a 55% clip in the second half to improve its record to 2-0. Clark only went to the line 5 times in the entire game compare to RW's 15. The refs must have had a late dinner reservation in Newport....

All-around

How good is Wheaton this year. Saw they started off pretty well with wins over Norwich and Plymouth?

hugenerd

MIT had 1-1 weekend, with a tough loss Western Conn. on Saturday and a win at Emmanuel on Sunday.  A few nice individual performances were put in:  Dou Soumare had double-doubles in both games and averaged 16 points, 13 rebounds, and 2 blocks; Billy Johnson had a 24 point effort on saturday; and, Jimmy B. put up 24 p, 9 r, 5 a, and 2 s on saturday, followed by 31 p, 6 r, and 3 a on Sunday (for the weekend he averaged 27.5 ppg, 7.5 rbg, and 4 apg). 

MIT plays on the road at Curry tonight.

hugenerd

MIT beat Curry College tonight 101-77.

Jimmy Bartolotta had a career high (I believe) of 38 points (16-21 from the field), in addition to 5 rebounds and 9 assists (with only 1 turnover). That leaves him 2 points shy of 1000 for his career, 3 games into his junior season.  (He is averaging 31 ppg so far this season, Antoine Coleman, a preseason all-american playing the same position, is averaging 13.5 ppg).  Also in double figures were Alex Bagley (13), Dou Soumare (11), and Billy Johnson (10).

goldenpipes

Emerson 89, Babson 77 from the Lions Den in Boston.

Tom Messinger hit 8 three pointers on his way to a game-high 28 points to lead the Lions to their first win over the Beavers in school history. Emerson had four other score double figures: Bryan Rouse (15), Jeremy Shannon (15), Will Dawkins (13, 7 A) and Ben Chase (11).

The Lions opened up an eleven point lead at the half (41-28) and opened it up with a 13-2 run over a four minute span in the second half to seal the deal. Emerson led by as many as 25 late second half.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hugenerd on November 20, 2007, 09:04:16 PM
MIT beat Curry College tonight 101-77.

Jimmy Bartolotta had a career high (I believe) of 38 points (16-21 from the field), in addition to 5 rebounds and 9 assists (with only 1 turnover). That leaves him 2 points shy of 1000 for his career, 3 games into his junior season.  (He is averaging 31 ppg so far this season, Antoine Coleman, a preseason all-american playing the same position, is averaging 13.5 ppg).  Also in double figures were Alex Bagley (13), Dou Soumare (11), and Billy Johnson (10).

Isn't Coleman a power forward? Also, isn't he playing 24 minutes per game in WPI's new system compared to Bartolotta's 36 minutes?

That's a fairly limited (aka biased) analysis for someone with such a fancy calculator on his profile. :)

And no, Coleman is not related.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hugenerd

Pat,

I agree that he is a power forward, but you are the one that told me that he was a small forward when we were discussing the preseason all-american decisions.

Quote from: hugenerd on November 09, 2007, 01:19:49 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 08, 2007, 03:19:25 PM
My understanding is Prebeck is a 4 and Coleman is a 3. Those two weren't really compared head to head.

Well, in that case, there are a lot better 3s out there than Coleman, Bartollota being one of them. There are a lot of guys who put up 12 points and 6 boards per game (in an average conference).  I thought he was considered a 4 because he led the team in rebounding last year (obviously not a great criteria) and he seemed to match up with opponents post players on D.  My guess is that another 12 point, 6 rebound season wont get him on the season ending all-american team.

I also noticed the minutes played.  My comments were meant to be a bit sarcastic, which I know is difficult to convey through these messages.  That said, Bartolotta is head and shoulders better than any player in the NEWMAC.  You put him on any of those teams and he would put up huge numbers in every statistical and intangible category, not just a few.

Pat Coleman

Right -- I knew they were different positions but forgot who was which.

I think MIT is going to work to get your guy a little more pub this year.

hugenerd

It will also help that he has a few more guys around him this year, so the team should be a bit more successful.

JustAFan

Host Lasell upset WPI last night 95-86 in a shootout. Lasell was led by its two guards, with Jamie Crawford leading the way with a whopping 43 points on an unconscious 15-18 from the field (5-7 on treys) while Dwayne Powell had 15 points and Jose Guitian had 14 rebounds.  Lasell was up by 2 at the half after both teams shot very well (52% by WPI and 47% by Lasell) but in the second half Lasell shot a lights-out 68% from the field (67% from three-land) while WPI went stone cold  and only shot 28% but still managed to keep it a 9 point game. WPI had 4 players in double figures. The Engineers have been winning so far based on their high octane offense but they're going to need to learn to play some defense against the better teams, starting this Sunday afternoon when they host Salem State.

heythere

Quote from: hugenerd on November 21, 2007, 11:15:03 PM
It will also help that he has a few more guys around him this year, so the team should be a bit more successful.

MIT team is the basically the same as last year, they lost bracht 6'5 post who was the roy and there sr shooter but got back soumare a 6'7 post