MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heythere

Quote from: goldenpipes on November 28, 2007, 10:47:02 PM
Elms has made the NCAA's three years in a row - Ed Silva's team is vastly underrated because the play in the NAC - same goes for Lasell who made it to the NCAA's two years in a row before the three year run for Elms.

Lasell will be a top competitor in the GNAC....maybe it's time to stop underestimating these teams vs. the NEWMAC and others.

Emerson beat Babson last week - another win for GNAC vs. NEWMAC....some of the NEWMAC teams are down a bit but I think teams like Elms, Emerson, and Lasell have beaten or have played these teams close every season for 3-5 years.

i wasnt taking anything away from elms, they are a good team and have won 20 plus games for the last couple of years, but wpi was suppose to be a top 20 team. it looks like it will be a real battle for the newmac this title this year

hugenerd

I think Coast Guard is the clear favorite to win it this year.  They havent really played anyone yet, but with the return of Craig Johnson they have the best front-court in the newmac and have some pretty solid guards to back them up.  They have a pretty fearsome foursome in C. Johnson (21 ppg), Prebeck (16 ppg), Sowers (14 ppg), and G. Johnson (10 ppg).  There are obviously some teams that can compete with CGA, but in my opinion they have the best combination of experience and talent, at least within the starting 5.

JustAFan

Elms shot a lights-out 57% in tonight's game vs WPI, and over 60% in the first half when they built a 13 point halftime lead.  However, I dont know much of that was attributable to poor WPI defense rather than great shooting. WPI freshman Ben Etten had 19 points and 5 assists in 23 minutes of PT but NT Izuchi, who shot very well Sunday against Salem State, went 0-8 tonight, all from 3-land.  I'd like to see WPI get Jim Marois and Ben Parker much more involved in the offense, and also get Parker more minutes.

hugenerd

MIT won a pretty comfortable game tonight against Endicott.  MIT led by as many as 32 in the first half and ended up winning by 21.

Dou Soumare impressed me the most tonight, with 22 points, 16 rebounds (9 offensive), and 5 steals.  He really showed that his offensive game has improved and capped it off with a pretty impresive two-handed jam late in the second half.  Jimmy B  added 26 points, 6 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals and a block.  MIT plays next on Saturday at Tufts.

goldenpipes

Emerson 84-63 over Wheaton. Lions finally top the Lyons....any game details?

hugenerd

MIT lost to Tufts today.  Jimmy Bartolotta had an injury and only played 19 minutes, but still scored 18 points.  Tough game for the Engineers.

goldenpipes

what happened to Jimmy B? Serious?

Agent_Zero

jimmy b was caught up in a tangle of bodies underneath the basket early in the first half and appeared to catch an elbow in the head. he was on the floor for a few minutes before being helped off. he sat out for a few minutes but re-entered the game. he was also in serious foul trouble, picking up 3 in the first half and his fourth early in the second. all those, combined with great d from ryan okeefe contributed to his low out put. and the engineers had no answer for pierce in the second half where he poured in 14 of his game high 18. all the shots he missed in the first half fell for him in the second. great win by tufts, hopefully a sign they are turning the corner

goldenpipes

thanks for the update zero.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hugenerd

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 03, 2007, 02:32:40 PM
Quote from: heythere on November 28, 2007, 11:07:33 PM
wpi was suppose to be a top 20 team.

... according to whom?

Must be the same people that voted Antoine Coleman an All-American!

(sorry Pat, I couldnt help myself)

pridefan

springfield played great D holding Trinity to 30% from field.  Pride held the lead  since 4 mins into the game. Closest Trinity got was when they clawed back from 10 down to only 2 but then springfield pushed it back up to 6 and held on down the stretch.

If Pride can start hitting their shots then their defense will serve them very well. 

hugenerd

Quote from: pridefan on December 04, 2007, 10:40:38 PM
springfield played great D holding Trinity to 30% from field.  Pride held the lead  since 4 mins into the game. Closest Trinity got was when they clawed back from 10 down to only 2 but then springfield pushed it back up to 6 and held on down the stretch.

If Pride can start hitting their shots then their defense will serve them very well. 

Thats a great win for Springfield and also for the NEWMAC.  More wins like that (especially over NESCAC teams) would go along way in getting the NEWMAC more respect in the Northeast.  MIT has a similar showdown with Amherst on Thursday.

pridefan

Pride play Williams this coming Saturday so another matchup against the nescac.  Williams is rated #8 but their early schedule seems weak.  Anybody seen them play and are they legit #8 given their weak schedule??

hugenerd

MIT went onto beat WNEC tonight 71-57 as the Engineers improved to 6-2 on the season.  Leading the way was Jimmy B. with 29 points (12-20 fg, 4-7 3fg), 8 rebounds, and 8 assists (as well as 2 blocks and 2 steals).  Dou Soumare again put up big numbers, with 12 points, 18 rebounds (8 offensive), 2 blocks and 2 steals. Chipping in were Billy Johnson and Daniel McCue with 10 points a piece.

WNEC is a common opponent of MIT and Amhest, who play eachother this Thursday.  Both teams won by similar margins (14 and 12, respectively).  The game is at Amherst.

Through 8 games this season, Jimmy B. is averaging 26.4 ppg, 6 rpg, 5.3 apg, 2.1 spg, and 0.9 bpg.  In that span he has shot 60% from the field, 59.5% from 3, and 80.5 from the free throw line (in 31 minutes per game). Through week 2 (takes into account 7 of first 8 games), he ranks as follows in the NEWMAC: ppg:1, rbg: 12, FG%: 5, apg: 3, FT%: 3, spg: 6, 3FG%: 1, 3FGM: 2, bpg: 9, A/T: 8, minutes: 8.  He is ranked in the top 12 in every category reported except for offensive rebounds.