MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eclinchy

Incredible Cinderella story... loving it.  Congrats to CGA... keep it up.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well, no one has posted, so I will. Congrats to CGA on a heck of a season and a run through the NCAA Tournament. You had me as much as a fan as I could be calling the game (need to be unbias, if possible) and was very impressed with the "don't-say-die" attitude this team had from Al Sowers to Jeff Prebeck to Craig Johnson to Grant Johnson on down. The team certainly losses a lot of talent and leadership, but you can't take away the great season and four year run this group had. Very impressed... I salute you all!

(By the way, the response to "NA-VY RE-JECTS" - which isn't original - with "We Won't Save You!" was priceless. Great fans - including Commandant Thad Allen!)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

r.w. mcnickels

I second D-Mac's salute.  Congrats to Coast Guard on a truly memorable run through the tournament!

Gray Fox

Just a quick update/reminder that "Quantum Hoops" will
be playing for one week (March 28-April 3) in Boston
and Seattle.

The Boston location is the Landmark Kendall Square
Cinema - across the strett from MIT.

The Seattle location is the Landmark Metro Cinemas.

We will also be playing for one night only in San
Antonio (April 10) and Austin (April 24).

If you are in these areas or know anyone who is,
please pass this email on to anybody you think might
be interested.

Feel free to email me directly with any questions or
suggestions.

THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!

Rick
Fierce When Roused

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The Landmark in Cambridge is the best Indy theatre I've ever been to.  It's a great place to see great movies that won't find an audience anywhere else.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Gray Fox on March 16, 2008, 12:44:24 PM
Just a quick update/reminder that "Quantum Hoops" will
be playing for one week (March 28-April 3) in Boston
and Seattle.

The Boston location is the Landmark Kendall Square
Cinema - across the strett from MIT.

The Seattle location is the Landmark Metro Cinemas.

We will also be playing for one night only in San
Antonio (April 10) and Austin (April 24).

MIT -- perfect audience for this!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Hugenerd

MIT picks up two big time new england recruits, headlined by 6'10" Ted Eby:

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/260/Ted-Eby-Headed-to-MIT.php

(Note: they have Coach Anderson's name linked to the wrong Larry Anderson).

For the full list of d3 recruits, see the links below.  The only other NEWMAC school I saw was WPI, with 2:

d3 list:
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/273/DIII-Commitment-CatchUp.php

Full list:
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/prospects/

Hugenerd

Looks like Jimmy B gets some of his due.  He gets chosen to first team all-region, Coleman gets 3rd team.  Congrats to both Bartolotta and Coleman.

Craig johnson gets 2nd team, Al Sowers gets 3rd team, and Anthony Coppola gets 3rd team.  Congrats to them as well.

backboard

Prezzie-Blue is a much better guard than Al Sowers, what a shame

Hugenerd

Also Congrats to Pete Barry  (Coast Guard) for winning northeast region coach of the year, and Anthony Coppola (Wheaton) for rookie of the year in the northeast.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: backboard on March 19, 2008, 01:09:29 PM
Prezzie-Blue is a much better guard than Al Sowers, what a shame

It's unfortunate the GNAC and TCCC didn't go to the polls as well as the NEWMAC did. Not sure who mobilized the three leagues but the NEWMAC did it well.

We had the large, red link on the front page for the entire voting period, sent an e-mail out to all SIDs at the beginning of the vote and with one day left, we contacted the conference SIDs (and some commissioners) with a list of everyone who had not voted so they could push for more representation from their league.

Some conferences saw this as a priority.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Hugenerd

Jimmy B gets honorable mention all-america.  Congrats!

nescac1

hugenerd, any chance of Bracht coming back to the team?  If he does, you add him to Bartolotta, 6'8 Soumare, 6'8 Johnson, incoming recruits (6'10 Eby and I heard they may be getting a 6'8 shooter from Ohio who was also looking at Williams and Amherst, unconfirmed on that though) and that will be a national contender.  Even without Bracht, that has got to be the most intimidating front court in New England, if not all of D-III.  MIT should be right there with RIC, Middlebury, Amherst and Brandeis as the early favorites for top New England contenders next year ... the rest of the top NEWMAC teams seem to lose a lot other than Wheaton, who could be a dark horse. 

basketball

what happened to Bracht anyway?... He had such a good freshman year.

eclinchy

Quote from: basketball on April 02, 2008, 10:00:27 PMwhat happened to Bracht anyway?... He had such a good freshman year.

MIT players take years off all the time... I'm guessing it's because their schoolwork is kinda hard?

Quote from: nescac1 on April 02, 2008, 02:33:11 PMhugenerd, any chance of Bracht coming back to the team?  If he does, you add him to Bartolotta, 6'8 Soumare, 6'8 Johnson, incoming recruits (6'10 Eby and I heard they may be getting a 6'8 shooter from Ohio who was also looking at Williams and Amherst, unconfirmed on that though) and that will be a national contender.  Even without Bracht, that has got to be the most intimidating front court in New England, if not all of D-III.  MIT should be right there with RIC, Middlebury, Amherst and Brandeis as the early favorites for top New England contenders next year ... the rest of the top NEWMAC teams seem to lose a lot other than Wheaton, who could be a dark horse.

I like that top 5 a lot.  Not a big fan of Johnson from what little I've seen of him -- he doesn't seem like a very physical 6'8" guy, and he needs to shoot well to be effective.  But Soumare is a total beast, and Jimmy B is obviously a great player.  MIT should be solid regardless of their recruits -- although I thought they'd win the NEWMAC this year too, and I was way off. They're a tough team to predict.

Brandeis seemed like a weird pick to me at first, given all the talent they're losing, but on second thought they still have Olson, Hollins and Roberson.  Downright scary how deep that team was... they can lose a great five-deep senior class and still contend.  What's the latest on DeLuca?

RIC should be absolutely dominant. Amazing what they accomplished this year without a single solitary senior.  Looking forward to seeing how far that team can go next year.

I think Middlebury's the early favorite to win the NESCAC.  Smith and Rudin are two of the league's top five seniors (along with Pierce, Baskauskas, and either Bowdoin's Kyle Jackson or Colby's Artie Cutrone) -- can't beat senior leadership like that.  Amherst has a lot of hype surrounding their young big guys (Kurt Bennett, Billy Butler et al), but I'll wait til I see it to believe it.  The Panthers are the team to beat.

Another team I'd throw out there is Trinity -- they lose a lot but return arguably their two best defenders in NESCAC DPOY Aaron Westbrooks and Paul Rowe, both rising seniors.  Tufts will also be strong, but I'm obviously biased there.