FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

This is the new home of SCIAC discussion. Welcome aboard, everyone.

scandihoovian

RFB

EagleRockKid

Thought I'd join the new board and start up the conversation on the upcoming season. Obviously by my user name I'm partial to Oxy. Even so, I don't see how they won't repeat as SCIAC Champs.  Besides the return of superstar QB Andy Collins, they boast the finest defense in the west. I predict the tough games this year will be decided by who has the best defense.

Oxy returns the Defensive Player of the Year for the past 2 years in LB
Mike Bryant. Nine of last year's defense is returning, which includes a cadre of Seniors who have started since their sophomore years, such as Kyle Stowers (FS), Andrew Gutierrez (SS), Derek Turbin (CB), and Bryant who started as a freshman.

The offense is certain to put points on the board with Collins having a number of returing standout receivers such as Ric Fukushima, Caleb Small, and Josh Jones. Not to mention the power running of Ryan Gonzalez.

I'm sure the other SCAIC teams are hungry for another shot at OXY. The season promises to be exciting.

d-train

Quote from: EagleRockKid on August 16, 2005, 04:29:37 PM
...the finest defense in the west.

Are you sure about that Kid? ::) Did you mean the finest in the southwest part of California?  ;D

wildcat11

QuoteBesides the return of superstar QB Andy Collins, they boast the finest defense in the west

Collins is a nice player but "superstar"......Collins would be the 3rd best QB in the NWC alone behind Elliott and Joel Clark (Whitworth).  I like Collins but was he even a West Region Honable Mention?

now for the "finest defense in the west"....now I'm not sure what defense you're talking about but the Oxy defense that I saw gave up 56 pts. to Linfield in 3 quarters before Linfield shut down their offense during the 4th quarter.  Oxy's defense isn't all of that.

RFB

Oxy's defense will be very good this year, not sure about the best in the West though. They will have at least one loss in the SCIAC this year for sure.

EagleRockKid

O.K.   I'm the new guy here. I figured since I was posting on the
SCIAC board (i.e. southern Cali.) My predictions would be interpreted
for SCIAC teams.  I'll make my predictions for the Western Region later
in the season when I get a better feel for all of the Region teams.

PitDawg

Bryant is slightly overratted watch for another sciac backer to claim D player of the year.

scandihoovian

PitDawg-

Care to point out who that backer will be?

Bryant won the award last year even though there were other players (like Longhurst) with better numbers and arguably greater impact on the game.  My point is that even though he is a great player, Bryant's rep gives him quite a headstart on other candidates who may be more qualified.

D O.C.

ERKid...good for you! You got a taste of your board after your first post!
Does OXY return that very tall receiver who was injured at the end of last season?
Seemed to me that was a great option set-up inside the 6 with Collins running or looping the ball up.

Lights On

First time posting and Oxy fan. Will try to add some support to the eaglerockkid's  comments, but I'm not 100% sold on the defense. Offense will be solid. I'm hopeful for another winning season.

EagleRockKid

Yes, I hear the tall kid (Sam Betty) 6'7" is scheduled to return. He had to leave early last season due to what I believe was a bout with mono.  He will definitely be another target for Collins.  Watch out for that lob pass to him in the corner of the endzone. 

OxyFan21

PC,
Nice to see the new site.  Just in time for the season.  Hopefully, this minimizes the traffic problems on Saturdays.

Go Tigers!

OxyFan21

I was "OxyFan" on the old board, looks like my d3hoops user name got converted over to this.