Author Topic: South Region Fan Poll  (Read 198291 times)

Offline Scots13

• All-Conference
  • Maryville Man from birth
    • View Profile
Re: South Region Fan Poll
« Reply #1395 on: December 19, 2017, 09:55:25 am »
I think I was the 10 for E&H. Had a ton of guys back from a decent '16 team. I genuinely thought Newsome & Co. would be in the 8-2, 9-1 range with 7-3 being a stretch. They did the Emory shuffle and posted a 3-7 season...

Didn't homer on MC, although personally I wanted to. They let me down this year. 11 starters back on D and that's the product? Come on, guys. Be better.

Pretty sure I had Berry 10th to start the year.  At the time that was a "you were good last year, but this is year #5..." mercy pick. I was wrong. Great year for the Vikings. Thanks, Ralph for being on point and refreshing my memory on my ballot...I didn't have Berry ranked. Probably wanted to see how the MC/Berry Week 1 game turned out.  ???

JHU stumbled a little this year, but sort of returned to form. Week 1 vs. W&L was a shock.

TMC flopped.

CMU played a dang tough schedule losing to W&J, Muhlenberg, Westminster and CWRU. Honestly thought the #9 vote they got preseason was a stretch, but they were a solid team this year. Kudos to whoever had the foresight to include them into the mix early.

Centre was a solid team all year, but was (probably) rightly overshadowed by Berry all year.

Huntingdon was shocked Week 1 by Guilford. Guilford had a tough a$$ schedule that derailed them. Huntingdon did bounce back. I think I had the Hawks #8 preseason. ::)

Final note: I was the one that had TMC 6th preseason. Sister Sophie helped on that one.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:08:58 pm by Scots13 »
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 19, 2017, 11:30:18 am »
With UMHB running the gauntlet to get to the Stagg Bowl (they defeated the final #4, #5 and #6 teams), and with the eastern half of the region being placed in the other half of the bracket, I thought we had a good idea of the strength of the South Region.

HSU's performance at Linfield was disappointing to ASC fans who anticipated a great matchup in Belton in Round 2 (between ASC teams  ;) ). Placing the Linfield game into the perspective of the tail of the regular season, it looks like HSU did not finish strong, for whatever reason.  I voted them 4th.

Berry's program looks like it is building something very strong.  It reminds me of the Trinity programs from the turn of the century.  I personally knew some of the Trinity players. (They were outstanding student-athletes, to wit, current Trinity head coach Jerheme Urban.)  Trinity was reaching a demographic niche in Texas that was not being met. If Berry can establish that type of program, where they are getting academically stronger talent, getting D2 and low D1 talented players  that want to play AND get strong academics, then the entire Southeast is open to them.

I was curious to see how CWRU would do in the post-season.  The on-the-road shutout over IWU spoke volumes and the 45-16 game against UMU was a strong effort. (Fulford scored UMU's last TD with 2:13 left in the game!  Coach Kehres was not calling off the dogs, to leave your starting QB in the game with a 22 point lead.)

I echo jknezek's points about the strong showings in the ASC, PresAC and SAA. (He did have TMC as the #2 team in the pre-season poll.  I had TMore at #4.)

ETBU is supposedly playing a WIAC team for its non-conference game in 2018. That should help us with them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:32:54 am by Ralph Turner »

Offline Scots13

• All-Conference
  • Maryville Man from birth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 19, 2017, 01:16:07 pm »

Berry's program looks like it is building something very strong.  It reminds me of the Trinity programs from the turn of the century.  I personally knew some of the Trinity players. (They were outstanding student-athletes, to wit, current Trinity head coach Jerheme Urban.)  Trinity was reaching a demographic niche in Texas that was not being met. If Berry can establish that type of program, where they are getting academically stronger talent, getting D2 and low D1 talented players  that want to play AND get strong academics, then the entire Southeast is open to them.

Berry will continue to be a force.  They have the facilities, academic standing/ranking, and programs to get a lot of guys on the edge between D2 and D3. Plus, location is a driving force too. You eluded to the southeast:
AL: BSC, Huntingdon
MS: Millsaps, Belhaven
GA: Berry, LaGrange
TN: Maryville (about 3 hrs away), Sewanee (little over an hour away), Rhodes (ha! Memphis.)
FL: None
SC: None
KY: Centre, Thomas More

There are quite a few D2 schools in those states and several NAIA programs as well. KY is eat up with them.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!