MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbpuckfan

He certainly moves closer to home by taking this job.

St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

Gregory Sager

Quote from: judgetrainer on April 13, 2018, 03:31:27 PM
Lawrence attracts students all over the country and has for years

Yes, but that's not necessarily germane to the issue at hand. What's relevant is from where the school's men's basketball players are drawn. To the best of my recollection, Lawrence's basketball recruiting over the years has always largely been in Wisconsin and Illinois. Thirteen of the 21 players on this season's roster, 11 of the 15 on last season's, and all but one of the 15 players from the season before, were from those two states. The last two seasons in which Lawrence was in the MWC's top tier, 2008-09 and 2007-08, the team's roster was 14 WI/IL and four other, and nine WI/IL and four other, respectively.

Quote from: judgetrainer on April 13, 2018, 03:31:27 PMand the new guy grew up in Minnesota so it's not like he is unfamiliar with the Midwest.

The issue isn't whether Zach Filsen has ever eaten at Culver's or knows somebody who owns a feed cap. It's whether or not the new coach arrives with recruiting connections in the high schools, leagues, or AAU programs from which his new school traditionally draws. My guess is that growing up in Northfield, MN (where he hasn't lived in a decade) doesn't really help Filsen in that regard.

Quote from: gbpuckfan on April 13, 2018, 04:19:49 PM
He certainly moves closer to home by taking this job.

That might've been a consideration in taking it.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

The copy-paste above doesn't reflect this, but our story does note that Filzen spent two years as an assistant women's basketball coach at Northwestern before going to Lancaster Bible.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Just Bill

If he hasn't eaten at Culver's his resume goes directly in the trash.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gbpuckfan

Quote from: Just Bill on April 13, 2018, 05:01:09 PM
If he hasn't eaten at Culver's his resume goes directly in the trash.
Perhaps more importantly in Appleton, what will he think of Cleo's?
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Is it that hard to have eaten at a Culver's?  They have a pretty wide geographical spread these days.  I think I saw one in Colorado Springs the last time I was visiting my parents.  I've never even been to Wisconsin (outside of layovers at the Milwaukee airport), but I've eaten at Culver's on dozens of occasions.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

There's a scattered few in the Southeast (especially in Florida retirement-community country), and a handful in Texas and the Great Plains and Rocky Mountain states. but the vast majority of Culver's are located within the Detroit-Kansas City-Minneapolis triangle of the Midwest, with Wisconsin and Illinois being by far the two most prevalent states. And there aren't any at all in Pennsylvania.

https://www.culvers.com/locator/view-all-locations

badgerwarhawk

Culvers was founded in Sauk City, Wisconsin.  The first one was located in Wisconsin Dells.  There are currently over 650 of them across the US.  I'm not really that keen on their food.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Pat Coleman

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 16, 2018, 11:48:43 AM
Culvers was founded in Sauk City, Wisconsin.  The first one was located in Wisconsin Dells.  There are currently over 650 of them across the US.  I'm not really that keen on their food.

Phew. Thought I was the only one. First off, I don't like diet pepsi, and secondly, the food always leaves me and my son a little unsettled. You know, in a digestive way. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

I've only eaten at a Culver's three or four times. I think it's above average as far as fast-food places go, which is the ultimate faint praise as far as I'm concerned, but I don't go out of my way to rave about Culver's the way that a lot of people in the upper Midwest do.

WUPHF

If I had to restrict the coaching hire based on his or her familiarity with a famous Wisconsin restaurant, I am thinking Rocky Rococo.

Gregory Sager

Not a bad choice. Rocky Rococo is almost exclusively a Wisconsin chain nowadays, after the company closed two-thirds of its locations over the past twenty years. They're not as ubiquitous as Culver's, but there are two of them in Appleton.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 16, 2018, 03:12:11 PM
I've only eaten at a Culver's three or four times. I think it's above average as far as fast-food places go, which is the ultimate faint praise as far as I'm concerned, but I don't go out of my way to rave about Culver's the way that a lot of people in the upper Midwest do.

However, in most of the country, if you're looking for fast food trout, there is literally no other option.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 17, 2018, 12:34:37 AM
Not a bad choice. Rocky Rococo is almost exclusively a Wisconsin chain nowadays, after the company closed two-thirds of its locations over the past twenty years. They're not as ubiquitous as Culver's, but there are two of them in Appleton.

I did not realize that they once had many more locations outside Wisconsin.  Interesting.