NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

Quote from: Once_A_Metro_Always_A_Red on September 06, 2016, 05:24:27 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on September 06, 2016, 04:58:00 PM
0-0 Wesleyan at ECONN at the half. The game is getting stuck in midfield with both teams giving the ball away quite frequently. Like someone mentioned in an earlier post Wesleyan needs to be a little faster in possession and especially on the counter they should be able to get a goal. Gruner  and Nick Jackson look solid for Wesleyan. Not a big Rubenstein fan but he gets the job done.  Wesleyan needs to get Cowie-Haskell and Martinez-Paiz more involved 2nd Half. Same goes for Charlie Livingstone who looks improved from last year

No Martinez-Paiz at all through about 60 minutes. Don't know why he hasn't featured, though he does appear to be dressed for this game. #FreeKomar

Must be disciplinary. Wheeler also didn't start his #1 GK Katkavich but subbed him on 10 minutes in. Strange

Mr.Right

ECONN and Wesleyan ends 1-1. Wesleyan not bad for their 1st game but will have to be disappointed with the draw. I thought they deserved to win and some great chances to score but either the final pass or the final shot was not sharp enough.

For ECONN, they had I would guess 2 SOG all game as I do not remember seeing Wes GK all game except for the goal. They have a couple good athletes but not a ton of skill in midfield or a legit goalscorer. Their defense is the real weakness and needs to be shored up quickly as they were giving the ball away way to much. With a Saturday game v Muhlenberg and a Sunday trip to Williams, they could be looking at a 0-4-1 start. DeVito might need to move some players around until he finds the right mix.

ECSUalum

More of the same from Eastern! Unbelievable! They just cannot maintain any possession!  some of the more experienced players playing poorly!   Eastern was fortunate to hold a very good technical team to a tie.  It was the Cardinals first game of the season, if this Cardinal team had a few games behind them it would have been loss #3 for ECSU.

blooter442

Watching Endicott vs. Tufts...Jumbos with the majority of the possession but the Gulls with some decent touches as well. I like the Endicott commentators. A good balance between insightful and funny.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: blooter442 on September 06, 2016, 07:16:09 PM
Watching Endicott vs. Tufts...Jumbos with the majority of the possession but the Gulls with some decent touches as well. I like the Endicott commentators. A good balance between insightful and funny.

The announcers are good. Tufts has the possession but not the passing midfield like last few years.  More physical...

Mr.Right

2016 Amherst roster out. I did not realize former Conn College player Weller Hlinomaz has transferred to Amherst. The kid played pretty well as a frosh at Conn, had wheels and skill on the flank. Was the recipient of a Dan Lima(Former Williams Captain) elbow to the head in 2013 that knocked him out for the rest of his frosh season with a concussion. He and his parents wrote everyone and their mother including the President of Williams College threatening lawsuits and trying to get Lima suspended or even expelled. It was an embarrassment. Lima was suspended 2 games and the matter was done. However, Hlinomaz and his parents are or were complete headcases and I believe he was cut by Murphy last year because of attitude issues. Not a bad jump to graduate from Amherst over Conn so it all works out in the end. If he still has any attitude issues that will be resolved quickly by Serpone and Amherst. I doubt he does and am sure he has matured. With his speed on one flank and Martin's on the other that is 2 very dangerous 1v1 players out wide and changes the whole complexion of this 2016 Amherst side.

Interesting fact since Serpone took over that is the 2nd player he has snagged from Conn's roster as a transfer, the 1st being Genko back in 2008. He was one of Lessig's last great recruits at Conn before bolting.

letsGOswans!

Conn also won their first game 9-0. But everyone knows the real test will be this weekend against Middlebury who I do not believe has lost to Conn during Murphy's tenure. Murphy has not hesitated to get rid of talented players with bad attitudes in the past. Look at the success that approach brought this past season.

Another note of interest is the absence of ROY Mark Leon on the Camel's roster. I wonder what that is about.

Ommadawn

Quote from: blooter442 on September 06, 2016, 07:16:09 PM

Is Majumder dressed? Out with an injury perhaps?

Sandy

Quote from: ECSUalum on September 06, 2016, 06:24:52 PM
More of the same from Eastern! Unbelievable! They just cannot maintain any possession!  some of the more experienced players playing poorly!   Eastern was fortunate to hold a very good technical team to a tie.  It was the Cardinals first game of the season, if this Cardinal team had a few games behind them it would have been loss #3 for ECSU.

The problem is that DeVito doesn't play the possession game and has no desire to even try. He'd rather play players that can run forever and work hard. Working smart isn't something he seems to favor. Most of the time he wants the ball sprayed out to the wings by the center mids to eventually be swung in for a cross. If they try and play it around and end up losing it. He'll get angry about that instead of encouraging them to play it around a bit. Hes got some players that can play and possess a good touch, but he'd rather play inexperienced freshmen who can run around a lot instead.

blooter442

WOW! Endicott 1-0 over Tufts! Did not see that one coming, especially after last year's heartbreak and losing so much talent. Well done to the Gulls. Despite Tufts playing without Majumder and it being the Jumbos' first game, you can't say that the Gulls didn't earn that one.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: blooter442 on September 06, 2016, 08:53:21 PM
WOW! Endicott 1-0 over Tufts! Did not see that one coming, especially after last year's heartbreak and losing so much talent. Well done to the Gulls, you can't say that they didn't earn that one.

Holistic thoughts on the Tufts game... 1) Majumber didn't play and they could surely use him.  2) They appear more physical in play. 3) They definitely miss Kayne and crew in the mid-field as there was a lack of cohesion, style, and flow...the style they've been known for over the last several years.  4) Some of the freshman looked very good.  5) They just lost the most successful class in history to graduation so they may take a little time to gel, which definitely can be done.

Endicott played well and they deserve the credit.....

Nutmeg

Quote from: blooter442 on September 06, 2016, 08:53:21 PM
WOW! Endicott 1-0 over Tufts! Did not see that one coming, especially after last year's heartbreak and losing so much talent. Well done to the Gulls. Despite Tufts playing without Majumder and it being the Jumbos' first game, you can't say that the Gulls didn't earn that one.

Yes, i agree wth this and Brother Flounder's comments. Both spot on. The Gulls did earn it....and it being the first game for Tufts, and without their top scorer, didn't give us a good read yet on a young team....

blooter442

Quote from: Brother Flounder on September 06, 2016, 08:59:38 PM
Holistic thoughts on the Tufts game... 1) Majumber didn't play and they could surely use him.  2) They appear more physical in play. 3) They definitely miss Kayne and crew in the mid-field as there was a lack of cohesion, style, and flow...the style they've been known for over the last several years.  4) Some of the freshman looked very good.  5) They just lost the most successful class in history to graduation so they may take a little time to gel, which definitely can be done.

They definitely missed that midfield experience, which will be tough to replace. However, I thought Rojas put in a good shift, and they did have some good spells. No need to panic, as it's the first game, and an away game at turf on that, but as you said the Jumbos will likely take time to gel (they also lost Patel and Brown, who were perhaps underrated but whose influences will be missed). Still think this is an NCAA-caliber team.

Brother, do you know what was up with Majumder? I didn't see him, but I was watching on and off, so he could well have been there.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: blooter442 on September 06, 2016, 09:16:50 PM
Quote from: Brother Flounder on September 06, 2016, 08:59:38 PM

They definitely missed that midfield experience, which will be tough to replace. However, I thought Rojas put in a good shift, and they did have some good spells. No need to panic, as it's the first game, and an away game at turf on that, but as you said the Jumbos will likely take time to gel (they also lost Patel and Brown, who were perhaps underrated but whose influences will be missed). Still think this is an NCAA-caliber team.

Brother, do you know what was up with Majumder? I didn't see him, but I was watching on and off, so he could well have been there.

I don't know.. I was surprised that he didn't play and the announcers seemed miffed also (though that doesn't mean anything).  I will ask around tomorrow to see if I can find anything out...

Mr.Right

Hamilton rejoined Nescac in all sports in 2011. They came from a solid league in the Liberty League and were very successful in that league making the NCAA's a couple times. They join Nescac and Perry Nizzi has really struggled. They are 11-29-10 since re-joining Nescac. While that is bad, more troubling is they seem to be progressively getting worse each year. They are starting to lose out of conference games they should not be losing and would not of lost in the LL. I know I know 1st game and all but losing to Oswego State 2-0 is not a good sign. If there was ever a hot seat for Nescac coaches this year it is up in Clinton, NY.