FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

footballfan413

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on March 21, 2013, 04:42:55 PM
Urlacher....The NFL is a nasty business to begin with but when you turn 35 it gets worse.
Oh, ya!  Bears had no choice but to cut him loose unless he could have been had for a song. BUT, still makes me sad to watch him leave Chi-Town.  May have to replace my Urlacher jersey with a Marshall one.  Or Peppers if I can't bring myself to wear a player's jersey from the other side of the ball.    ;)

Speaking of linebackers, mine is now, officially, three years cancer free!!!  ;D
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

emma17

Quote from: footballfan413 on March 21, 2013, 06:54:32 PM
Urlacher....The NFL is a nasty business to begin with but when you turn 35 it gets worse.
Oh, ya!  Bears had no choice but to cut him loose unless he could have been had for a song. BUT, still makes me sad to watch him leave Chi-Town.  May have to replace my Urlacher jersey with a Marshall one.  Or Peppers if I can't bring myself to wear a player's jersey from the other side of the ball.    ;)

Speaking of linebackers, mine is now, officially, three years cancer free!!!  ;D

Yeeeessss!  Great news.
Tillman is a pretty cool jersey too- or Briggs.

footballfan413

Quote from: emma17 on March 22, 2013, 12:34:03 PM
Quote from: footballfan413 on March 21, 2013, 06:54:32 PM

Yeeeessss!  Great news.
Tillman is a pretty cool jersey too- or Briggs.
Well, I do have a Cutler jersey that is my fallback but it is pink and that has never really felt right, somehow.    ;D

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

badgerwarhawk

You could get a custom Blanchard one. 

Excellent news 413

"Just think twice is my only advice."

footballfan413

Back to Back National Championships for the WARHAWKS womens gymnastics team!  My second favorite sport!   The team standings were: UW-Whitewater 189.75, UW-La Crosse 186.575, New York-Cortland 185.90, New York-Brockport 185.30, UW-Eau Claire 184.55, and Ursinus College 181.325.

A HUGE congrats to the girls and their coaching staff!   :) :) :)

retagent

Gee, Just think how different this would look if publiC Colleges had no advantage. ???

footballfan413

Quote from: retagent on March 23, 2013, 10:52:11 AM
Gee, Just think how different this would look if publiC Colleges had no advantage. ???
As usual, you just spout out any opportunity to. "claim, " that whenever a pubic school rises to the top, it must because they have an unfair advantage.  And here I am, as usual, taking the bait.
    Gymnastics is a very small community at the Div. III level.  There are only a small handful of conferences that participate, the WIAC being one of them, which by the way, includes Winona State.  And, BTW, the number of schools within those conferences who have gymnastics teams are also limited.  This championship is actually under a governing body called the NCGA, the National Collegiate Gymnastics Association.  At the present time, there are only 15 members in total, which includes 9 private schools and 6 public schools.  This link shows the championship tournament results from 1984 to 2006. The last 7 years are not listed here but 23 years seems like a good sampling to me.  The champions have been private schools in 11 of those years. (Gustavus Adolphus, your MIAC conference irronically) has been dominate,) while a public school has won it 12 times, (dominated by UW-Lacrosse.) When the ulitmate goal for any program is a national championship, having the championship being split nearly 50/50, between private and public, for over more than two decades, does not support your comment!  As usual, your assertion is a knee jerk reaction to an opportunity to bash public schools for having advantages without any attempt to do research finding info that would actually back up that comment. In this situation it, clearly, does not.   

BTW, the Back-To-Back National Championship WARHAWKS gymnastics team does not have a top 6 finish in any of these 23 years because of the Eagles domination.  Their national success is relatively new in the history of these championships.  Much like the football program.  "Winning breeds winning!"   ;)

http://www.mit.edu/~ncga/past-team.html

badgerwarhawk

Though I doubt it's intentional or maybe it is, I don't know with your comments you denigrate all of the hard work these athletes put into their sport to become national champions.  Winning a national championship has nothing to do with public and/or private.  It has everything to do with student athletes' dedication and commitment to be the best.  I would think that you've been around long enough to understand that or maybe you haven't, I don't know.   

bulk19

Quote from: footballfan413 on March 24, 2013, 10:58:14 AM
As usual, you just spout out any opportunity to. "claim, " that whenever a pubic school rises to the top, it must because they have an unfair advantage.  And here I am, as usual, taking the bait.
    Gymnastics is a very small community at the Div. III level.  There are only a small handful of conferences that participate, the WIAC being one of them, which by the way, includes Winona State.  And, BTW, the number of schools within those conferences who have gymnastics teams are also limited.  This championship is actually under a governing body called the NCGA, the National Collegiate Gymnastics Association.  At the present time, there are only 15 members in total, which includes 9 private schools and 6 public schools.  This link shows the championship tournament results from 1984 to 2006. The last 7 years are not listed here but 23 years seems like a good sampling to me.  The champions have been private schools in 11 of those years. (Gustavus Adolphus, your MIAC conference irronically) has been dominate,) while a public school has won it 12 times, (dominated by UW-Lacrosse.) When the ulitmate goal for any program is a national championship, having the championship being split nearly 50/50, between private and public, for over more than two decades, does not support your comment!  As usual, your assertion is a knee jerk reaction to an opportunity to bash public schools for having advantages without any attempt to do research finding info that would actually back up that comment. In this situation it, clearly, does not.   

BTW, the Back-To-Back National Championship WARHAWKS gymnastics team does not have a top 6 finish in any of these 23 years because of the Eagles domination.  Their national success is relatively new in the history of these championships.  Much like the football program.  "Winning breeds winning!"   ;)

http://www.mit.edu/~ncga/past-team.html
Congrats to the Warhawks on their championship, and to my UWEC Blugolds, for their great finish.. And I'll throw in UWL, too...   ;)

(footballfan413, you don't have to defend gymnastics to me; I've also been on that bandwagon, posting here about them, too, as one who admires the dedication, effort and hard work it requires to participate in it, let alone winning a championship, at any level...)

The Eagles will be back, though  ;) ; they've gotten the go-ahead to begin building a new facility for the team...

As an aside note, to the public/private school debate... As one who has had to hear that debate regarding the Wisconsin high school teams merger - and one who had the private schooling for 12 years - I've had to put up with the complaints that the private schools are able to "buy" their athletes... But I guess that argument doesn't apply to D3 sports?  ;)

footballfan413

Without a doubt, 19!  My daughter was a club gymnast for 10 years, started in classes at 3 and was put on the team at 7.  She spent her childhood in the gym, 14 hours to 24 hours a week,  50 weeks a year.  She made it as high as Level 9, (out of 10,) in USGA Jr. Olympics and planned on, one day, becoming a college gymnast, until she finally burned out at the end of  her sophomore year in high school.  I regret that she dedicated her youth to one sport but that is the only way to progress in gymnastics and it was the only thing she ever wanted to do.   Without a doubt in my mind, I believe it to be the most physically and emotionally demanding sport there is. It demands perfection as the difference between first place and sixth can come down to a bent elbow or knee and a few small steps!   I know, firsthand, what it takes and what those young women have sacrificed to stand on that podium hoisting up a National Championship trophy for their college!  They are all warriors, every single one of them!!!

02 Warhawk

retagent

Why do many of you think that it's a negative post when I point out that public colleges have a distinct advantage when it comes to the number/type of student who attends a public college rather than a private college. I'm pointing out what I think is a fact, without impugning those who participate in athletics. The defensive tone of your "rebuttals" mystifies me. ???

You are correct in pointing out that "winning breeds winning." (see MTU, UWW Linfield etc) That is not a negative either. It's just as much a fact as pointing out that public colleges are, on the whole, less expensive, and more inclusory, than private colleges. It has neither a negative nor a positive connotation.

Also, it does not guarantee certain outcomes. There are advantages that are present of many stripes, such as the lack of D II colleges in Wisconsin. That, by the way, is an advantage to D II schools in neighboring states. Again, not a knock on those schools, just an observation.

badgerwarhawk

Maybe if you gave it rest for a while we wouldn't react so defensively.

footballfan413

Quote from: retagent on March 25, 2013, 09:17:50 AM
Why do many of you think that it's a negative post when I point out that public colleges have a distinct advantage when it comes to the number/type of student who attends a public college rather than a private college. I'm pointing out what I think is a fact, without impugning those who participate in athletics. The defensive tone of your "rebuttals" mystifies me. ???

You are correct in pointing out that "winning breeds winning." (see MTU, UWW Linfield etc) That is not a negative either. It's just as much a fact as pointing out that public colleges are, on the whole, less expensive, and more inclusory, than private colleges. It has neither a negative nor a positive connotation.

Also, it does not guarantee certain outcomes. There are advantages that are present of many stripes, such as the lack of D II colleges in Wisconsin. That, by the way, is an advantage to D II schools in neighboring states. Again, not a knock on those schools, just an observation.
Oh,, please.....................
  Maybe if you actually posted this first, making an, "observation," and actually backing it up with rational arguments.  But you prefer to begin with a drive-by comment meant only to illicit the exact responses that you now claim to be, "mystified," by.   ::) ::)
You could not be more passive/aggressive............and you know it!

why do I always take the bait???   

And BTW, I see you had no answer for my argument that these advantages, that you imply are the reason that D-III public schools have it all over private schools, does not translate into way more championships, the ultimate measure of an athletic program's success.   ;)

KitchenSink

Looks like 6 out of 8 schedules are posted for WIAC teams for 2013 (all except Oshkosh and Whitewater).

Going through the overall schedules, you can figure out Whitewater's conference schedule:

10/5 at LaCrosse
10/12 Stout
10/19 Eau Claire
10/26 at Oshkosh
11/2 Platteville
11/9 at Stevens Pt
11/16 River Falls

Any info on Non-Conf games yet?
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!