MBB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by bethelguy, October 04, 2004, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3bballfollower

I think young Hanson will start in some games where matchups call for it, but I think the Eagles should stick with Zuleger, Discher, Strelecki, D. Hanson and Anderstrom for the time being, until Hanson, or someone else shows they deserve to start...
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

Hoopology101

Quote from: d3bballfollower on October 19, 2007, 10:12:48 PM
I think young Hanson will start in some games where matchups call for it, but I think the Eagles should stick with Zuleger, Discher, Strelecki, D. Hanson and Anderstrom for the time being, until Hanson, or someone else shows they deserve to start...

I agree with you.
Players are made during the off season, and teams are formed in the winter by the coaches.

Matt Carroll

Quote from: d3bballfollower on October 19, 2007, 02:55:48 PM
top 2 players at each spot in the UMAC (from what I have seen)...

PG-  1. Zuleger- the epitomy of a pg, handles the ball, plays D and see the floor and passes exceptionally well
        2. Hale- should have a break out year this year, similar to the Z man
SG-  1. Discher- shoots lights out and plays smart
        2. undecided
SF-   1. Strelecki- tough competitor who can play multiple spots
        2. Langdon- should play a huge role for Scholastica this year
PF-   1. Daniel Hanson-  no one can match up with him on both ends of the floor
        2. Richie Ward-  look for a break out year for ward, maybe a double double average
C-     don't really know...I wouldn't say that there is a good center in the leage...anyone have other thoughts on this?

PG -
Dave Zuelger NWC, ave 6 ppg and 4.5 apg.  Will be the staple to NW's offense while playing tenacious Defense on opposing point guards.
Andrew Schmittz Saint Scholastica, ave 12 ppg, 3 apg, and 3 rpg two years ago after sitting out last year.  Should be very solid for them.

SG -
Steve Discher NWC, ave 16 ppg last year and I see him doing about the same this year.  Kid can absolutely shoot the rock and has a good basketball suave.
Eric Dalbey UMM, ave 8 ppg last year but was surrounded by a lot of Sr guards.  Will have more opportunities this year, scored 30 points last year against MIAC's Bethel.

SF -
Josh Sterlecki NWC, ave 12 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg, and 1.5 spg.  Can do alittle of everything.  Tough player to guard off the dribble, but can also step back and hit the 3.
Will Jenson UMM, ave 9.5 ppg and 4.8 rpg two years ago.  Must have sat out last year, watched him play twice his Jr year.  Seems to be solid, him and Dalbey should be able to put some points off for Morris.

PF -
Daniel Hanson NWC, ave 15 ppg and 9 rpg, my pick for UMAC POY.  Can do everything (shoot the rock, rebound, post up, play D).
Nate Nass MLC, ave 13 ppg and 6 rpg last year.  A bit undersized, but plays strong.  I think he has one year of elgibiltiy?? 

C-
Mike Anderstrom NWC, ave 12 ppg and 9 rpg last year.  Solid shot blocker.
Brady Zubke Saint Scholastica, solid player who can jump out of the gym, was hon-mention all UMAC player.

Others:
Eric Langdon, SF, Saint Scholastica
Issac Hale, PG, Crown
Kincade Kirkpatrick (sp?), SF, Crown
Jake Schwartz, SG, MLC
Phil Allen, C, UMM
Jordan (younger one) Aarneson, SG, Northland
Richie Ward, PF, Presentation

Ralph Turner

Welcome Matt!

Good luck to the UMAC this year.

Y'all are getting closer to full conference status!

Matt Carroll

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 20, 2007, 07:48:26 PM
Welcome Matt!

Thank you Ralph, I cant wait til the UMAC teams can get a bid to the Tourney.  I really think Scholastica last year could have done some damage. 

Hoopology101

Quote from: Matt Carroll on October 20, 2007, 09:53:23 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 20, 2007, 07:48:26 PM
Welcome Matt!

Thank you Ralph, I cant wait til the UMAC teams can get a bid to the Tourney.  I really think Scholastica last year could have done some damage. 

I agree that scholastica team was nice, especially when you have a player like maupins.  It should be a great year in the UMAC
Players are made during the off season, and teams are formed in the winter by the coaches.

AO

If you want to catch some early D-3 action-Northwestern is scrimmaging at St. John's on the 1st at 5:30 and at Olaf on the 9th at 7:00.

It's great to see some UMAC discussion on here!  I agree with everything positive that was said about Northwestern! ;D

UWRF

I am the play-by-pay voice for UWRF mens basketball, but i have a few ties to this conference so ill be checking in quite a bit. 

-My cousin will be a freshman at Northland (Zeb Woiak).

-Played against Eric Dalbey (UM- Morris) 35+ times in my life.

Hope you all have a great year.
Voice of the Jamestown College (ND) Jimmies

UW-River Falls Alum

Follow me on Twitter: @SteveLinzmo

Hoopology101

Quote from: UWRF on October 22, 2007, 01:05:10 PM
I am the play-by-pay voice for UWRF mens basketball, but i have a few ties to this conference so ill be checking in quite a bit. 

-My cousin will be a freshman at Northland (Zeb Woiak).

-Played against Eric Dalbey (UM- Morris) 35+ times in my life.

Hope you all have a great year.

Hey hows it going?  How long have you been at UWRF doing play by play?  Also you have Crown coming your way this season, so afterthat game you have to get on here and give your honest opinion on what you thought about the game.  Also how does UWRF look for this year? Do yuor home games get crazy? Meaning a lot of fan support?

(modified by GS for formatting)

UWRF

This will be my first season doing play-by-play for the falcon men. I was the womens announcer last year. So i dont know too much about the team.  This is my sophomore year at RF.  As far as the Crown game I will report back after that game.   Any info you guys have about Dalbey or Woiak through out the year would be much appreciated.
Voice of the Jamestown College (ND) Jimmies

UW-River Falls Alum

Follow me on Twitter: @SteveLinzmo

Hoopology101

Well it has been a while since I posted something but the season is finally here.  It is time to stop doing all the talking and let the teams do the talking for everybody.  Has anyone went to any scrimmages?

Well I checked out Crown they played Rochester CC  I had a couple of buddies that play for Rochester, but anyways Crown held there own They won the first 2 sestions in the scrimmage the last 3rd period they ran out of wind.  I have to say Crown added a new guard that will help out Isaac a lot I think the confrence will have some trouble with this guy he is a juco trasfer but played really good.  Also they had a couple of 6'5 guys that looked pretty good one is athletic and can jump out the gym! but you can tell that he has a lot to learn about the game, I'm not sure what impact he will have but I know he will help out a lot on the boards.  The other big guy knows the game a lot but is young and still needs toget in better shape.  For 2 weeks of practice they looked good.  Last year Crown got killed by like 45 points against this same team.  I also heard a rumor that come 2nd semester Crown will have a 6'6 trasfer, 6'5 and adding another guard, plus they had another 4 spot player that did not play because of football he is the starting quarter back and will add alot to the team.  I know it is early but look out they might sneak up on some teams.  Rochester CC will have another good season like last year I think they only lost 5 or 6 games last year.  They already played in a tourney this year and went 2 n 3 plus they have been practcing since october 1st they looked good.  But being that Crown has 2 guards now in the backcourt thye can handle the pressure.

d3bballfollower

Hoop- thanks for the update...sounds like Coach High did a solid job recruiting and if the rumors are true and they are adding size, they could possibly make a run at the UMAC tourney come 2nd semester...I saw the Rochester boys play multiple times this summer and were impressed by their athleticism, if Crown hung tough with them then I would say they are probably one of the most athletic teams in the UMAC (along with NWC and probably Bethany Lutheran)
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

Hoopology101

You know I think you are right they might have one of the most athletic teams in the confrence but we can not forget Bethany Luthern they are all up and down action through out there games.  Yeah Coach High has done a great job so far, but I noticed that they also added and new up and coming coach by the name of Coach Ware, I asked a couple of people were he came from and they said he joined the staff half way through last year.  I think he is part of the reason that they are starting to bring in some more athletic guys, but hey with Coach High's X&O's and Coach Ware recruiting skills it makes a perfect relationship! I know it is early to hype this team up but all I have to say is that they are making positive steps in the right direction. Will see what the future has to offer.  If anyone else has any updates lets start talking UMAC Ball!

d3bballfollower

Hoop- that's a great comment about how different coaches are good at different aspects of coaching...very rarely do you find a coach who is good with the x's and o's, as well as player development, recruiting, etc...if a team has a head coach who can focus on the team's strategy and feels comfortable letting his assistants do the bulk of the recruiting is a great asset...if Ware is as good of a recruiter as you've heard they might start securing commitments from players who may have gone to Bethel or Northwestern in the past...

formerUMACplayer

Quote from: Hoopology101 on November 01, 2007, 10:42:57 PM
Well it has been a while since I posted something but the season is finally here.  It is time to stop doing all the talking and let the teams do the talking for everybody.  Has anyone went to any scrimmages?

Well I checked out Crown they played Rochester CC  I had a couple of buddies that play for Rochester, but anyways Crown held there own They won the first 2 sestions in the scrimmage the last 3rd period they ran out of wind.  I have to say Crown added a new guard that will help out Isaac a lot I think the confrence will have some trouble with this guy he is a juco trasfer but played really good.  Also they had a couple of 6'5 guys that looked pretty good one is athletic and can jump out the gym! but you can tell that he has a lot to learn about the game, I'm not sure what impact he will have but I know he will help out a lot on the boards.  The other big guy knows the game a lot but is young and still needs toget in better shape.  For 2 weeks of practice they looked good.  Last year Crown got killed by like 45 points against this same team.  I also heard a rumor that come 2nd semester Crown will have a 6'6 trasfer, 6'5 and adding another guard, plus they had another 4 spot player that did not play because of football he is the starting quarter back and will add alot to the team.  I know it is early but look out they might sneak up on some teams.  Rochester CC will have another good season like last year I think they only lost 5 or 6 games last year.  They already played in a tourney this year and went 2 n 3 plus they have been practcing since october 1st they looked good.  But being that Crown has 2 guards now in the backcourt thye can handle the pressure.
Hoops,
My good buddy is actually one of the assistants at RCC, so I came out with a friend to watch the scrimmage last night. You have got to be joking, Crown got beat up on the boards badly and they have absolutely no post presence at all. I must say the guard-combo, with Hale leading the way and Kirkpatrick and the new recruit (a Lefty who plays very aggressive) well be fun to watch this season. Even if they have one new recruit and some transfers for 2nd semester you've got to remember that the tops teams in the UMAC have been playing together and they know what it takes to win/Crown doesn't. This is a program that has won 2 or 3 conference games altogether in the last two seasons combined; it takes time to build a winning and successful program. They might finish as high as 6th but that's it (be realistic)...what would make you think they can contend?? You think they can split games with Northwestern, Bethany, St. Scholastica, Morris or Presentation (not a chance)? I might seem a little hard on Crown but you cannot build a program overnight. Hoops, to answer your question I graduated from Northwestern a long, long time ago...lol.