FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on April 24, 2017, 07:42:56 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 24, 2017, 03:29:43 PM
Thanks for sharing. Have not heard much about HSC's recruiting class. Will share if/when I hear something.

HSC has had an amazing recruiting class!  Several highly regarded offensive linemen, 2 W&L transfers, and 2 CNU transfers included in what maybe the best class HSC has had in years.

Huh. HSC is picking up W&L's sloppy seconds? Who saw that day coming? Just kidding. If true I wish the young men nothing but the best in their career except for one week a year when I hope they have bad games...

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: jknezek on April 25, 2017, 10:10:31 AM
Thanks for sharing. Have not heard much about HSC's recruiting class. Will share if/when I hear something.

HSC has had an amazing recruiting class!  Several highly regarded offensive linemen, 2 W&L transfers, and 2 CNU transfers included in what maybe the best class HSC has had in years.

Huh. HSC is picking up W&L's sloppy seconds? Who saw that day coming? Just kidding. If true I wish the young men nothing but the best in their career except for one week a year when I hope they have bad games...

If  you have Facebook you can watch video clips of all the HSC recruits.  https://www.facebook.com/HSCFootballVideos/?ref=bookmarks
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on April 25, 2017, 10:17:18 AM
Quote from: jknezek on April 25, 2017, 10:10:31 AM

If  you have Facebook you can watch video clips of all the HSC recruits.  https://www.facebook.com/HSCFootballVideos/?ref=bookmarks

I never really delve into recruits. It's just not something that interests me at this level of collegiate football. When they get on the field, I'm pretty excited. Though I am curious who transferred out, so I might have to look that up because... well, I'm nosy.

hasanova

You're welcome.  Coach Chris Rusiewicz and SID Dave Walters do a great job of communicating.

hasanova

Congratulations to Guilford on winning the ODAC men's golf championship today, their 16th since first competing for the title in 1992.  W&L finished 2nd.  The Quakers will be in the D3 national tournament in Florida May 8-11.

tigerFanAlso2

congrats on the golf championship. you failed to mention HSC finished 3rd, but I'm told the HSC golf team is average at best, in fact, most of our teams have been not so good this academic year. better days are coming !!!!

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 26, 2017, 09:12:44 AM
congrats on the golf championship. you failed to mention HSC finished 3rd, but I'm told the HSC golf team is average at best, in fact, most of our teams have been not so good this academic year. better days are coming !!!!

I think HSC's golf team was ranked this year. The ODAC's top 3 were in the top 25, with W&L at 14, Guilford at 19, and HSC around 25. Thought that was in the W&L press release. Kind of sad the Generals couldn't repeat and hope they get an at-large into the tournament. Guilford just killed everyone in the ODAC tournament, though not as bad as Bridgewater buried people in the women's tournament.

Regardless, I'm just happy W&L seems on track to win the three Commissioner's Cups again. RMC does not seem to be having the spring they need to pull away from the men unless they win the baseball and lax tournaments. W&L has already sewn up T&F and is pretty much killing the ODAC in tennis again. With W&L teams within striking distance of the top of the leaderboard in lax and baseball, so far ahead of RMC, plus the second in golf, the points average is going to be pretty high. The women were going to be hard to overtake period with their lead going into the spring, and with likely wins in tennis and lax, seconds in golf and t&f, I don't think they can be caught.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 26, 2017, 09:12:44 AM
Thanks.  From what I hear, it was a rainy 54 holes.  Wishing for the Generals to make the tournament.  It would be great if the Tigers got in also, but that's a 600 yard par 3 over the water.

tigerFanAlso2

I'm sure the kids would rather go home and start their summer tournament schedule.

HSC is bringing its largest recruiting class ever, 61 kids. Deep in numbers and talent from what I hear.

Birddawg79

Great interview with W&L hc Scott Abell. He does a great job talking about the ODAC.

https://youtu.be/si8aOkFUM6w

jknezek

I posted this on the SCIAC site as part of a larger discussion on varsity DIII athletic participation rates, but it might be interesting to someone here as well:

That Department of Education site is fantastic for this stuff. Will be a shame if it goes away. Anyway, I checked all the ODAC schools except Hollins and Sweet Briar who didn't show up.

Randolph College has 307 of 661 enrolled students playing sports or a league high 46.44%. Of the football playing schools, E&H at 404/1003, 40.28% is the highest ratio.

The lowest ratio is Lynchburg College at 436/1977 or 22.05%, closely followed by Roanoke College at 432/1925, 22.44%. Of the football playing schools, the lowest ratio is Shenandoah at 5331/1927, 27.55%. 

Four of the lowest six participation rates belong to the non-football schools, with only Shenandoah and H-SC showing below 30% for non-football schools. All other football playing schools are above 30%, and Randolph, with that massive participation number, is the only non-football school above 30%. 

W&L sits at 566/1843, or 30.71%.  In regards to participation rate the Generals are on the low end, but trailing only Bridgewater in participation rate among schools with at least 1800 students. Bridgewater and W&L compete in the most ODAC sports, with Bridgewater only missing Men's Swimming while W&L misses only Softball. As you'd expect, W&L and Bridgewater have the most varsity athletes in the ODAC in total.

Raw numbers:
W&L

HSC

E&H

RMC

Lynchburg

Randolph

Guilford

Shenandoah

Bridgewater

Roanoke

V Wes

EMU

tigerFanAlso2

I'm told several ODAC schools will play a 9 game football schedule beginning in 2018 due to the difficulties presented by the need of a 4 game OOC schedule. Another possibility includes playing an ODAC opponent twice in the same schedule with only one of those games counting towards conference record.
ODAC really not pursuing another member as other sports are not in need of another conference game. Does this lead to a possible departure of the football playing schools ? Form another league to include AU, Ferrum, SVA, possibly CNU ? Hope not but would not surprise me.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 03, 2017, 10:36:31 AM
I'm told several ODAC schools will play a 9 game football schedule beginning in 2018 due to the difficulties presented by the need of a 4 game OOC schedule. Another possibility includes playing an ODAC opponent twice in the same schedule with only one of those games counting towards conference record.
ODAC really not pursuing another member as other sports are not in need of another conference game. Does this lead to a possible departure of the football playing schools ? Form another league to include AU, Ferrum, SVA, possibly CNU ? Hope not but would not surprise me.

I don't think so. This isn't D1 where football drives everything, and blowing up the ODAC, a geographically tight conference that is almost the definition of peer competition (small liberal arts schools), would be a difficult decision. The schools that started that action would be persona non grata with the schools that wanted to remain. If there are 4 schools that can't find an extra game there is a simple solution in a home and home for them. Is it perfect? No. But it gives 10 games.

There is a long-term problem. We've known about this for a while and I'm sure the ADs have as well. I'm sure they've looked for simple solutions and didn't find any. So now they have to look at more difficult options. But shooting yourself in the foot to build a whole new conference around football is probably not high on many AD minds.

tigerFanAlso2

not until ODAC is looking at an 8 game schedule. playing the same team twice in one season is just not an acceptable option, at least not to me. odac can and must do better, or I see another league being formed. I think football is a really big deal to these schools, as it is the only sport that brings alumns back to campus (in large numbers) which helps fund raising.

jknezek

For this year...

Bridgewater:  Gettysburg, TMC, Apprentice, Wash U
E&H: Ferrum, Brevard, Maryville, Apprentice
Guilford: Huntingdon, Methodist, Davidson, Jacksonville
HSC: Averett, CNU, UWP, Apprentice
RMC: Dickinson, Averett, Catholic, Apprentice
Shenandoah: Gallaudet, NC Wes, Hobart, Apprentice
W&L: JHU, Sewanee, CMS, Wash U

So all ODAC schools have 10 games this year and the problem, as you pointed out, must be starting next year. Only, W&L has a full 10 DIII game schedule. Five of the other six play Apprentice, and Guilford has Davidson and Jacksonville. Only Guilford doesn't have 9 DIII games.

That being said, Wash U, on two ODAC schedules, is not an option after this year. I can't imagine Guilford wants to play 8 DIII games per year. And I'd imagine the ODAC isn't really high on Apprentice filling out the schedules. So, yeah, there is a problem going forward that is plain as day and has been known since Catholic announced they were leaving.