FB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coolrey

TLU's young offense is still trying to eliminate mistakes though many were still committed vs LC.  Defense also still maturing.  You can tell that the secondary is short on experience as LC hit several big passes.  I believe they will continue to grow up and be ready for conference play.

Ron Boerger

Last weekend before the teams head into the final season of SCAC conference play, and everyone's on the road, some quite a ways from home:

Southwestern (1-2) @ UW-RF (0-2):  Falcons are 0-2 but stayed close to teams with combined 6-0 record.
TLU (0-3) @ HSU (2-0):  Bulldogs could start season 0-4 before SCAC play rolls around.
Austin (2-1) @ SWAG SAGU (1-2):  Good chance for 'Roos to pick up third W.
Trinity (2-1) @ Chapman (0-1):  Panthers will have had two weeks to heal up from 48-14 thrashing by Linfield.

Ralph Turner

I think that Southwestern has a good chance at winning the conference.

That would be good for the program.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 19, 2016, 11:41:51 PM
I think that Southwestern has a good chance at winning the conference.

That would be good for the program.

They're certainly in the picture, which isn't something anyone thought would be the case before the season started.

RunTheTrap

I think it would be great if the SCAC is competitive this year, especially it being the last year. AC has SAGU this week. On paper, it looks like a game that could be won. But SAGU's losses were to ETBU & HSU and they gave up 146 total points in those losses. I have a feeling SAGU is going to come out hard against AC. AC will need to play 4 quarters of football for a win to be possible. They haven't played 4 quarters of good football yet this year. Might as well start on Saturday.

umhb2001

Where will Trinity go once the SCAC is no more?
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Ron Boerger

Quote from: umhb2001 on September 21, 2016, 02:55:22 PM
Where will Trinity go once the SCAC is no more?

Trinity and Austin College (re-)join the SAA as associate members for football.

wally_wabash

In 2011 the SCAC looked like this:
Austin
Birmingham-Southern
Centre
Millsaps
Rhodes
Sewanee
Trinity (TX)

and in 2017 the SAA will look like this:
Austin
Berry
Birmingham-Southern
Centre
Hendrix
Millsaps
Rhodes
Sewanee
Trinity (TX)

I'm really glad that the SCAC teams have found full leagues to play in, but you look at this and it kind of makes you wonder what the point of all of this was. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

I think Oglethorpe dropped the ball. They needed to re-instate football, along with Berry and Hendrix, and Trinity and Austin would have been sunk. Not sure what happened, but the Petrals were the last piece. That being said, it is only full-circle for football. The SAA schools still eliminated the TX trips in the other sports, so if travel was the issue they got most of what they wanted. I'm guessing they let the last two SCAC members back in for football mostly to simplify scheduling. Some of these schools were taking long OOC trips anyway, so why not help out their former members instead and make their own schedules a little more certain.

RCottman

Plus with Chicago and Washington leaving, they needed 2 teams for the conference to keep its automatic bid.

jknezek

Quote from: RCottman on September 21, 2016, 04:34:12 PM
Plus with Chicago and Washington leaving, they needed 2 teams for the conference to keep its automatic bid.

I can't imagine why. They have 7. Given the current access ratio they don't need any more teams to keep the AQ.

Berry
Birmingham-Southern
Centre
Hendrix
Millsaps
Rhodes
Sewanee

RCottman

Well obviously I can't count.... Other reasons... Recruiting in Texas???  Just a good road trip?  Get to see San Antonio..

Ron Boerger

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 21, 2016, 03:15:53 PM
In 2011 the SCAC looked like this:
Austin
Birmingham-Southern
Centre
Millsaps
Rhodes
Sewanee
Trinity (TX)

and in 2017 the SAA will look like this:
Austin
Berry
Birmingham-Southern
Centre
Hendrix
Millsaps
Rhodes
Sewanee
Trinity (TX)

I'm really glad that the SCAC teams have found full leagues to play in, but you look at this and it kind of makes you wonder what the point of all of this was.

The SAA split from the SCAC for a combination of reasons:  travel costs and time away were the public reason, with an  undercurrent of "SCAC-West isn't really up to our [academic, financial, reputation] standards" (which is even true in some cases).  As others have pointed out, this recombination is only for football, so the league preserves the travel/time advantages it sought in the many other sports.   One trip to Texas yearly by the football teams isn't going to dramatically change that part of the equation.

I think the SAA coaches & administrators found a nine-team league to the league's benefit and took advantage of the opportunity to keep it at nine schools.   It's a no-brainer for AC and TU.

Ron Boerger

Not the best weekend for the SCAC, with Trinity still to play:

TLU showed a lot of grit, closing from an early 21-0 deficit to close to within 21-17 of HSU at the half, but gave up too many big plays in eventually falling 48-38.   The Bulldogs put nearly 500 yards on the victors, won the turnover battle 2-1, and held the ball longer than their opponents, but HSU gained over 500 yards and got five TDs from the passing game.   The close result against a top-15 team should give the Bulldogs a boost going into next week's game against Trinity.

Southwestern hung in with UW-River Falls for a half, leading 9-7 after blocking a field goal at the end of the second quarter, but a key turnover deep in their end of the field led to two consecutive Falcon TDs from which the Pirates could never recover, falling 42-22.   SW turned the ball over three times (to none from their opponent).

AC trails SAGU 14-7 very early in the second half but are driving.

Ron Boerger

AC managed a 17-14 lead midway through the fourth but allowed SAGU a long drive which culminated in the final points, resulting in a 21-17 loss.

Trinity is trailing 12-3 late in the second quarter after having a punt blocked for TD and throwing a pick on the Chapman goal line.