FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLU02SA and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ron Boerger

From what I can gather, SB31 has been placed on the House calendar with an April 2nd date for a third (and final) reading. 

Ron Boerger

Damned shame.

I hope the other SAA schools and schools in the region will welcome those impacted by this closure. 

BSCpanthers

So much for needing a week one game...... >:(

jknezek

And so the slow train wreck finally reaches it's end. Alabama is a very interesting place to live. I've never known somewhere so determined to cut off it's own nose to spite it's face. Will be interesting to see what happens to that property. It's an incredible waste if it is left to rot.

What would it take to lure $100 million of economic activity a year? A lot more than a $30 million loan. But when your school system is in the bottom 5 of the country, your population is poverty stricken, you believe anything the government touches is evil, and anywhere in the state that votes blue should be cut off... this is what you get. Oh, also an inability to apply the phrase "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle" doesn't help.

But go Montgomery Whitewater!

BSCpanthers

Quote from: jknezek on March 26, 2024, 04:18:49 PMAnd so the slow train wreck finally reaches it's end. Alabama is a very interesting place to live. I've never known somewhere so determined to cut off it's own nose to spite it's face. Will be interesting to see what happens to that property. It's an incredible waste if it is left to rot.

What would it take to lure $100 million of economic activity a year? A lot more than a $30 million loan. But when your school system is in the bottom 5 of the country, your population is poverty stricken, you believe anything the government touches is evil, and anywhere in the state that votes blue should be cut off... this is what you get. Oh, also an inability to apply the phrase "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle" doesn't help.

But go Montgomery Whitewater!

Exactly.  Sad day for BSC, Birmingham and Alabama. It will be interesting to see what does happen to that property.  Does UofA or AU take over quickly or does it sit.  If it sits, it won't take long for it to be ripped apart and destroyed beyond recognition.  Such a beautiful campus, be a shame if something doesn't take over quickly. 

bleedpurple

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I feel so badly for all of the people in/at the school, the program, and all who supported and loved the Panthers. This a sad day for all of D-III, but especially for the Panthers and their supporters! Praying the students and staff/faculty quickly find a home

BSCpanthers

Quote from: Hawks88 on March 26, 2024, 03:06:18 PMBSC closing.
https://www.al.com/educationlab/2024/03/birmingham-southern-college-will-close-may-31-as-loan-bill-fails-to-gain-support.html

You guys have something of ours, please take good care of it while we are gone.  If you will please place it somewhere special that we may come by and see it occasionally. 

The Wesley Cup has new meaning today, it is now a memorial of the past. 

D3Navy

Quote from: BSCpanthers on March 26, 2024, 09:55:14 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on March 26, 2024, 03:06:18 PMBSC closing.
https://www.al.com/educationlab/2024/03/birmingham-southern-college-will-close-may-31-as-loan-bill-fails-to-gain-support.html

You guys have something of ours, please take good care of it while we are gone.  If you will please place it somewhere special that we may come by and see it occasionally. 

The Wesley Cup has new meaning today, it is now a memorial of the past. 

Must be really tough to lose the school and teams.  We all look forward to the season, the good-natured back and forth, the analysis, and the ooh-rahs.  You are clearly passionate and insightful.  If you want to hitch your wagon to a quality school and athletic program, Trinity would love to have you onboard! 

BSCpanthers

This just put a hole in all the SAA football schedules, and Huntingdon.  Be interesting to see what all the schools do and who gets added to everyone's schedule.  Wonder if they will reset the conference schedule or just go with what was already posted?

Ron Boerger

I don't think I've seen anyone in the conference actually announce a schedule, though everyone has probably gone to the trouble of lining up their non-conf games and there was no doubt a conference schedule in place.  Trying to find tenth opponents now is going to be well-nigh impossible no matter what the SAA ends up doing. 

crufootball

Quote from: Ron Boerger on Yesterday at 09:54:19 PMI don't think I've seen anyone in the conference actually announce a schedule, though everyone has probably gone to the trouble of lining up their non-conf games and there was no doubt a conference schedule in place.  Trying to find tenth opponents now is going to be well-nigh impossible no matter what the SAA ends up doing.

I might know of a couple of schools who are looking for games.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Ron Boerger on Yesterday at 09:54:19 PMI don't think I've seen anyone in the conference actually announce a schedule, though everyone has probably gone to the trouble of lining up their non-conf games and there was no doubt a conference schedule in place.  Trying to find tenth opponents now is going to be well-nigh impossible no matter what the SAA ends up doing. 
SCIAC teams may have openings.
Fierce When Roused

Inkblot

Berry, Centre, Millsaps, and Sewanee all have schedules posted.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Hawks88

One thing that makes this difficult for Huntingdon is with our conference schedule this year we already go to Methodist, NC Wesleyan, and Southern Virginia so our travel budget is already stretched. Unless we can find someone to come to Montgomery or go non-D3(Faulkner/Point) then replacing that day trip will be a big unexpected expense, probably a flight. It will be true for all of our sports going forward.