The Big Dance

Started by Falconer, November 05, 2018, 03:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastguyoffthebench

Haverford had two chances to get a stranglehold in PKs

Ommadawn

If I read my Live Stats correctly, it looks like NYU beat Haverford 5-4 in the 7th round of PKs.  Is that what happened?

blooter442

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on November 10, 2018, 11:06:44 PM
Blooter.   That is unreal.   I thought it was my service provider

I'm no software developer, but I find it ridiculous and have no idea how they haven't found a solution to that. Of course you could tell the school to set it for way later, but I still feel like that's something that should be addressed in terms of functionality, not by clients having to be vigilant about time.

blooter442

Quote from: Ommadawn on November 10, 2018, 11:13:37 PM
If I read my Live Stats correctly, it looks like NYU beat Haverford 5-4 in the 7th round of PKs.  Is that what happened?

Affirmative.

Ommadawn

Quote from: blooter442 on November 10, 2018, 11:14:35 PM
Quote from: Ommadawn on November 10, 2018, 11:13:37 PM

Affirmative.

Thank you for the confirmation, Blooter!

blooter442

Upon looking up this "bug," Boxcast does give the option to not include an end time when creating an event (which simply necessitates the user manually stop the broadcast). In that case, while noting that the game started late (as a result of the first match going to a shootout), I reverse my initial judgment: Montclair Athletics, ya dun goofed.

https://boxcast.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202109213-How-to-Schedule-Your-First-Broadcast

blooter442

I would be less frustrated if all the shots had missed, but since they were making them left and right I'd like to have seen it. Oh well. At least tomorrow's game won't be delayed by the match previous going to PKs, since there is no preceding match.

Buck O.

Quote from: blooter442 on November 10, 2018, 10:57:40 PM
Hope that Boxcast doesn't just shut off at its "end time" like it did last year.

The feed cut out last year too?  That's just unforgivable.

blooter442

Quote from: Buck O. on November 10, 2018, 11:24:44 PM

Not MSU, Boxcast in general, apologies for the ambiguity. Last year's issue was Brandeis' Boxcast feed, so while MSU can't be blamed for that, Boxcast resulted in similar frustration for viewers.

Buck O.

Quote from: blooter442 on November 10, 2018, 11:29:17 PM
Quote from: Buck O. on November 10, 2018, 11:24:44 PM

Not MSU, Boxcast in general, apologies for the ambiguity. Last year's issue was Brandeis' Boxcast feed, so while MSU can't be blamed for that, Boxcast resulted in similar frustration for viewers.

It's still pretty lame.  I'd imagine (even though I really have no idea, as I don't do this sort of thing) that there is some sort of procedures manual that describes what a host institution for an NCAA tournament has to do and how to do it.  Since this has happened before, someone should have edited it to say that hosts should enable the manual termination option to avoid inadvertently cutting off the stream prematurely.  What are all of those people doing in that big office building in Indianapolis?

PaulNewman

There was a game last night, and one which I didn't know the result until this morning, where the stream had very clear audio coming from the fan section of a particular team the whole time.  The actual team doesn't matter (even though it's one of my very favorite colleges in the entire United States), as a microphone could be placed in the fan section of virtually any team, and we would have heard the same.

I was amazed at just how insane and over the top the parents sounded.  In some ways amusing and other some ways insufferable.

Made me think about two things....

1)  I would be cringing with embarrassment and shame if I listened to a tape of myself in the stands "back in the day"

2)  I'm still hanging around and posting because I miss those days so much, and wowza, all of it including all the roller coaster of emotions was an unforgettable blast that leaves you wanting MORE

rudy

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 11, 2018, 10:44:30 AM
There was a game last night, and one which I didn't know the result until this morning, where the stream had very clear audio coming from the fan section of a particular team the whole time.  The actual team doesn't matter (even though it's one of my very favorite colleges in the entire United States), as a microphone could be placed in the fan section of virtually any team, and we would have heard the same.

I was amazed at just how insane and over the top the parents sounded.  In some ways amusing and other some ways insufferable.

1)  I would be cringing with embarrassment and shame if I listened to a tape of myself in the stands "back in the day"

2)  I'm still hanging around and posting because I miss those days so much, and wowza, all of it including all the roller coaster of emotions was an unforgettable blast that leaves you wanting MORE

For your sake Paul I hope Kenyon makes final 4 ...play into December!   How many years until grandchildren start playing? 😁

PaulNewman

Quote from: rudy on November 11, 2018, 11:07:29 AM

For your sake Paul I hope Kenyon makes final 4 ...play into December!   How many years until grandchildren start playing? 😁

Well, I don't have any yet.....so at least two years.  But I do already have their college search trips all planned out.

blooter442

Told Buck I'd be at the Tufts-Stevens game -- and I will -- but may be late if this Manchester Derby keeps up at this pace. 1-0 City 10 minutes in and it is end-to-end, great theater.

rudy

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 11, 2018, 11:16:41 AM
Quote from: rudy on November 11, 2018, 11:07:29 AM

Well, I don't have any yet.....so at least two years.  But I do already have their college search trips all planned out.

Ha...I'm sure you have a few northeast schools on the list.
Maybe a certain Ohio school. +k