MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_jefe_90 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nescac1

One more note -- Williams was 19-26 (!) from 2 in this game -- probably not a game where they needed to hoist 33 treys!  Yes, many of them were wide open looks they had to take, but at least 5-6 were deep and/or very contested shots early in the shot clock.  They were working the ball beautifully and getting GREAT looks inside, and on a night where the ball just isn't dropping, I'd say, keep going to what is working.

P'bearfan

Bowdoin defeats Bates 98-70

Great win for the P'bears who controlled the game from end to end.  Lucas Hausman was unstoppable scoring 44 points and tying a school record.

Bucket

Trinity beats Middlebury, 90-85, in a game in which 58 fouls were called and 74 free throws were attempted.

The Bantams stretched a 15-point halftime lead to 21 in the second half, holding the margin until under 10:00 left, when the Panthers began chipping away and staged a furious rally. Midd pulled to within 4 with the ball at just under 2:00, but could get no closer.

Great perimeter shooting gave Trinity the lead (Hurd and Naylor a combined 5-5 from three in the first half; Trinity 7-10 for the game) and then the Bantam bigs began to do their damage. Ogudenko and Padadeas a combined 11-16 from the floor.

Midd really struggled from outside, 7-22 from three, and got back into the game by aggressively attacking the rim.

Matt St. Amour led all scorers with his 4th 20-point game in his last 5 outings; I doubt folks would consider him the Panthers' fifth-best option now.

A double-double for Daley--13 and 11. Jake Brown 11 pts, 7 assists, 4 steals. He and Starks ( 16 pts, 9 boards) really went at each other.

Midd needs a Wesleyan loss tomorrow and a Panther win on Sunday to extend the season.

nescac1

One more note on Bowdoin: their webcast play-by-play man is incredible.  He is the Tommy Heinsohn of D3hoops. 

iwumichigander

Quote from: Bucket on February 13, 2015, 09:57:54 PM
Trinity beats Middlebury, 90-85, in a game in which 58 fouls were called and 74 free throws were attempted.

The Bantams stretched a 15-point halftime lead to 21 in the second half, holding the margin until under 10:00 left, when the Panthers began chipping away and staged a furious rally. Midd pulled to within 4 with the ball at just under 2:00, but could get no closer.

Great perimeter shooting gave Trinity the lead (Hurd and Naylor a combined 5-5 from three in the first half; Trinity 7-10 for the game) and then the Bantam bigs began to do their damage. Ogudenko and Padadeas a combined 11-16 from the floor.

Midd really struggled from outside, 7-22 from three, and got back into the game by aggressively attacking the rim.

Matt St. Amour led all scorers with his 4th 20-point game in his last 5 outings; I doubt folks would consider him the Panthers' fifth-best option now.

A double-double for Daley--13 and 11. Jake Brown 11 pts, 7 assists, 4 steals. He and Starks ( 16 pts, 9 boards) really went at each other.

Midd needs a Wesleyan loss tomorrow and a Panther win on Sunday to extend the season.
Curious - how long did this game take to,play out?

Vandy74

Quote from: Bucket on February 13, 2015, 09:57:54 PM

Middlebury faced a hot shooting Trinity squad that never cooled off.  The 1st half lead was built on 52% shooting from the field including 6-9 from behind the arc.  The Panthers managed only 31% and hit on only 2 of 7  three point attempts.  In the 2nd half Middlebury improved to 42% shooting from the field but the Bantams improved to 61%  They led 68-50 with 6:59 remaining.  At 1:14 the score read 86-76.  Middlebury refused to fold.  Fouling quickly and responding with points of their own they cut the lead to 4 with 26 ticks remaining.  Correcting Bucket's typo of 2:00 to :20, the Panthers regained ball possession a few seconds later but were unable to pull any closer.  63 of the game's 77 free throws were taken in the 2nd half.  Middlebury scored 61 points in the final 20 minutes.  All of St. Amours' 20 points came in the 2nd half.  It was an amazing and gutsy performance by a Middlebury team that looked totally outplayed the first 34 minutes and simply refused to give up.   It's a disappointing loss in a disappointing season but no Panther fan can be disappointed in the character this team showed tonight.

MENESCACFAN

Wouldn't consider a kid who went off for 20 points a fifth best option Bucket no.  I would if he went 0 for 7 though and kids are not fixed game to game, can play badly and you don't need to defend them when they do.  St Amour is certainly not Midd's best player.  We could ask if the Midd fans still think Bates are worse than last year and only beat 9th placed Midd because of illness?  Perhaps we should drop the cheap crowing and move on?

Fantastic performance from Hausman tonight, very quick player slashing to the basket and enjoyable to watch.  Freed up massively by the presence of Swords inside.  Very impressive in the flesh even if the stats aren't blowing people away.  The Delpeche brothers have got the best of Sabety and Wohl so far this season, Swords very much dominated inside though.  Bowdoin look to be getting hot for the playoffs.

polbear73

I understand that it's been a disappointing year for Middlebury, particularly given their talent, coaching, and the fact they continue to play hard in adversity. I am not a Midd fan and therefore not offering an excuse by asking the (dumb?) question, does being the designated Friday-Sunday player put that team at a competitive disadvantage?  Sorry if it's a naive question from an old football player, but I have to believe that it could be a difficult adjustment.

P'bearfan

QuoteOne more note on Bowdoin: their webcast play-by-play man is incredible.  He is the Tommy Heinsohn of D3hoops.

Assume this was Jim Toomey who is just great!  We look forward to listening to him almost as much as watching the game itself.

P'bearfan

We don't get a chance to watch to many games in person but we picked a great game last night.  Morrell gym was packed and Bowdoin played what was easily it's best game of the year.  After last Sunday's win over Midd I didn't think they could play much better but they proved me wrong. 

Lucas Hausman was incredible hitting just about every type of shot imaginable.  Often when you have one player score almost half your points the rest of team has no flow on offense but that wasn't the case at all.  Bowdoin moved the ball well and found the open man.  I saw plenty of extra passes which Is rare when a team has a couple of hot shooters.

What hasn't been mentioned but was equally impressive was Bowdoin's defense.  The P'bears did a great job playing their matchup zone which allowed fewer open 3's than when they play a straight up zone.  Bates found some shots but nothing was easy.  Great job on the boards by Bowdoin's big men as well.

Hopefully Bowdoin can keep up the high level of play this afternoon when they take on Tufts.

GoUBears!!!

Middfan

Quote from: MENESCACFAN on February 13, 2015, 11:57:24 PM
Wouldn't consider a kid who went off for 20 points a fifth best option Bucket no.  I would if he went 0 for 7 though and kids are not fixed game to game, can play badly and you don't need to defend them when they do.  St Amour is certainly not Midd's best player.  We could ask if the Midd fans still think Bates are worse than last year and only beat 9th placed Midd because of illness?  Perhaps we should drop the cheap crowing and move on?

Fantastic performance from Hausman tonight, very quick player slashing to the basket and enjoyable to watch.  Freed up massively by the presence of Swords inside.  Very impressive in the flesh even if the stats aren't blowing people away.  The Delpeche brothers have got the best of Sabety and Wohl so far this season, Swords very much dominated inside though.  Bowdoin look to be getting hot for the playoffs.

MENESCACFAN, As a compulsive reader yet very infrequent commenter to this board I have found your comments this year to be interestingly negative (a la Charles), often in the direction of Midd.  Not sure why.  While Midd's early trip to Maine was what it was and is now ancient history, it did foreshadow what can only be considered a disappointing year for the Panthers.  Yet I have not heard or read anyone referencing that weekend for weeks without someone else bringing it up first.  It seems that you're the one who keeps bringing up these themes (sickness, St. Armour, etc.) and should move on.  "Cheap crowing"....  why so angry MENES?

MENESCACFAN

Negative comments and anti Midd?  Pretty sure at one point I believed Sinnickson was the best inside player in the league no?  I do not rate St Amour as highly based on what I have seen.  I rate Sabety very highly, Wohl did not play well when I watched and think the Trinity coach is doing a fantastic job.  Thought Bowdoin were fantastic last night and said so, Hausman and Swords praised highly.

What is particularly negative about my comments?  Seems more likely you disagree with me rather than I am consistently negative.  I simply state what I see good and bad.

MENESCACFAN

Some quotes about Midd from me below.  More balanced than you give credit for.  Just because someone disagrees on some point doesn't mean they are out to get you.

"Best Player:  Dylan Sinnickson (Midd)"

"Best Low-Post Scorer:  Dylan Sinnickson (Midd) or Hunter Sabety (Tufts)"

"As for Sinickson, amazing performance."

"UMFK 71 MIDDLEBURY 62

Fort Kent are always better than they appear in athletics.  They have international pipelines and looser admission standards.  Thy lost by 2 to Bates a few years back, and their soccer team destroyed Middlebury in a scrimmage a couple of years back.  An upset for sure, but maybe not as bad as it appears."

P'bearfan

Two stats from last night's game really standout:

-Bowdoin shot 66.7% from behind the arc lead by Hausman and Hurley.  Matt Palecki and FY Charlie DiPasquale also perfect from long range chipping in 2 and 1 respectively.  Having multiple players score from downtown really opens up the floor for the rest of the offense and makes Bowdoin tough to defend.

-Bowdoin had 27 assists and were lead by Bryan Hurley who had 12.  In the last few games Hurley has been connecting with Swords down low which has also helped open up the offense.

Bowdoin will need more good shooting and ball movement to defeat Tufts this afternoon.

GoUBears!!!

MENESCACFAN

Good luck v Tufts P'bear.  I am attending Colby v Bates and will lout a report up.  I am going to have a go now at figuring out this playoff picture, pretty crowded.