2018 West Regional - Spokane, WA

Started by Mike Lehman, May 07, 2018, 12:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 14, 2018, 08:53:01 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 14, 2018, 08:45:42 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 14, 2018, 07:41:45 PM
Quote from: bzzboyz on May 14, 2018, 07:09:12 PM
Since explanations are the order of the day, who can explain how a conference runner up who didn't finish in the top 25 gets seeded higher than two conference winners and one of which was ranked 6th? Is SOS that big of a decider?

I do find it kinda funny that TLU and Concordia get to travel over 2000 miles to play each other when they're only 50 miles way from each other.

Yes, SOS really is that big of a factor.  TLU's SOS is 119, while CTX is 31, thats a pretty significant difference.  When it comes down to it, I think everyone is seeded right where they should be.  Take the Top 25 rankings out of the equation, they mean nothing.

This would have been a great year for the West to be played in TX as you could have put 4 TX teams there, the NWC and 1 SCIAC and fly the other SCIAC somewhere else.
I am glad that they are flying a Texas team to another region.  I will be very upset if UTT goes 2 and BBQ (again).

Since 2010, here is UTT's record in the West Regionals

2010 1-2 (eliminated by Mississippi College, which was still a member of the ASC)
2011  0-2
2013  2-2 
2015  0-2
2016  2-2
2017  0-2 *0-3  Forgetting to tarp the field on Saturday night should count as a big L
LOL  Touche'

108 Stitches

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 14, 2018, 08:56:19 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 14, 2018, 08:53:01 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 14, 2018, 08:45:42 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 14, 2018, 07:41:45 PM
Quote from: bzzboyz on May 14, 2018, 07:09:12 PM
Since explanations are the order of the day, who can explain how a conference runner up who didn't finish in the top 25 gets seeded higher than two conference winners and one of which was ranked 6th? Is SOS that big of a decider?

I do find it kinda funny that TLU and Concordia get to travel over 2000 miles to play each other when they're only 50 miles way from each other.

Yes, SOS really is that big of a factor.  TLU's SOS is 119, while CTX is 31, thats a pretty significant difference.  When it comes down to it, I think everyone is seeded right where they should be.  Take the Top 25 rankings out of the equation, they mean nothing.

This would have been a great year for the West to be played in TX as you could have put 4 TX teams there, the NWC and 1 SCIAC and fly the other SCIAC somewhere else.
I am glad that they are flying a Texas team to another region.  I will be very upset if UTT goes 2 and BBQ (again).

Since 2010, here is UTT's record in the West Regionals

2010 1-2 (eliminated by Mississippi College, which was still a member of the ASC)
2011  0-2
2013  2-2 
2015  0-2
2016  2-2
2017  0-2 *0-3  Forgetting to tarp the field on Saturday night should count as a big L
2017  0-2 *0-4  Wearing the Astro's 60 jerseys and expect to be taken seriously...

Jack Parkman

A few thoughts on the West Regional (all stats in order seeding)

Team Batting Average
1. Chapman- .308
2. Redlands- .323
3. Concordia- .310
4. TLU- .317
5. UT-Dallas- .349
6. Willamette- .284

Team ERA
1. Chapman- 3.09
2. Redlands- 3.55
3. Concordia- 4.82
4. TLU- 2.85
5. UT-Dallas- 4.64
6. Willamette- 4.02

# of pitchers with 5+ starts
1. Chapman- 4
2. Redlands- 3
3. Concordia- 3
4. TLU- 3
5. UT-Dallas- 4
6. Willamette- 3

*This is a big stat seeing as you have to win a minimum of 4 games to get out of the Regional*

HR,2B,3B,SB
1. Chapman- 39,89,12,56
2. Redlands- 23,118,20,111
3. Concordia- 20,82,14,58
4. TLU- 29,101,22,67
5. UT-Dallas-  30,91,15,25
6. Willamette- 33,81,14,60

I think this is a very balanced region and really feel like any of the top 5 teams can win it (sorry Willamette).There is a mix of really good pitching and really good hitting with a few things standing out to me:

1. Redlands runs like crazy with over 2.5 SB's per game.
2. Which ace will have the best opening game?
3. Will Redlands throw Minjarez against UT-Dallas since they already faced him earlier this year?
4. Can the CTX bullpen keep them in games?
5. Will the Redlands starters work deep into games to avoid their shaky and fairly untested bullpen?
6. Can any of these teams find the magic Cal Lu and Trinity had in the past two seasons (very different magic by TU and CLU)?

I don't think I can give an honest pick on who will come out of this region, but whoever it is will be battle tested when they get to Appleton.  Check back with me late Saturday night and I'll tell you who I think wins the West.

Ralph Turner

Thanks for the update.

I think that the West Region is the strongest region in the country. There are NO weak conferences in the region.

You will note that all 4 Pool A bids were earned by the #3 seeds.  There may be a half dozen weak teams in the entire Region.  Look at the upset losses that occurred this year.

Skips Soldier

Chapman will win the west regional. If they don't, I will leave the boards forever.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Skips Soldier on May 15, 2018, 11:29:16 PM
Chapman will win the west regional. If they don't, I will leave the boards forever.

I like the self-aware humor, and trying to rally around your last post.

Jim Dixon

I am still amazed at 7 west team in the playoffs. No need to ship someone west and now they are shipping west teams east to fill brackets.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 16, 2018, 12:38:20 AM
I am still amazed at 7 west team in the playoffs. No need to ship someone west and now they are shipping west teams east to fill brackets.
Jim knows how excited I am that we have 7 West teams in the playoffs.  My expectation was that the NCAA would give us 5 and ship someone from the other part of the country to Spokane.

BigPoppa

I am curious to see how Texas-Tyler fares in the Central Region. This is a top-heavy regional with Webster, Whitewater and Tyler (in my opinion) being a few steps ahead of the bottom three seeds.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 16, 2018, 08:46:48 AM
I am curious to see how Texas-Tyler fares in the Central Region. This is a top-heavy regional with Webster, Whitewater and Tyler (in my opinion) being a few steps ahead of the bottom three seeds.
IMHO, anything less than 2-2 for UT-Tyler in the Central Regional is a disappointment.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 16, 2018, 08:49:16 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on May 16, 2018, 08:46:48 AM
IMHO, anything less than 2-2 for UT-Tyler in the Central Regional is a disappointment.

I can't disagree.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

That Steindorf was able to keep Chapman under control did not surprise me.  Allowing 14 hits in 7 innings was a lot, but Chapman did not execute with runners on base with 2 outs. 

However, Cody Turner's eye-catching 0.90 ERA took a hit with 3 runs, 2 earned, facing 5 batters, in 0.1 innings.

Thru 7 innings, Chapman narrowed the score to 6-4, then the Bearcats scored one in 8th, and 3 in the 9th. Joe Faudskar  came on in the eighth to get the save.

This regional is looking to be wide open!

Jack Parkman

That game is going to haunt Redlands for a while.  UTD was down to their last out, and I believe their last strike, before getting a clutch RBI single to tie the game.  Redlands leads off the bottom of 9 with a double and three straight hitters fail to move the guy.  Great pitching by both teams but just  crushing loss for Redlands.  I think this regional comes down to UTD and TLU...

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 17, 2018, 09:23:58 PM
That game is going to haunt Redlands for a while.  UTD was down to their last out, and I believe their last strike, before getting a clutch RBI single to tie the game.  Redlands leads off the bottom of 9 with a double and three straight hitters fail to move the guy.  Great pitching by both teams but just  crushing loss for Redlands.  I think this regional comes down to UTD and TLU...
Isn't that Redlands UTD game so "West Regional"! 

(I left work for the 40 minute drive home with UTD trailing 1-0 after 8 innings. Regardless of the outcome, I knew that we had had another West Region Classic.)