NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All NESCAC

Quote from: MENESCACFAN on June 17, 2015, 08:03:38 PM
FourMore, I had heard Savonen has transferred to UNH for the fall.  Guess we will find out in a month or so!

Also heard Tufts have transferred in a forward from Boston University.

Question heard over on the NESCAC Football Blog---how many of the NESCAC teams (in our case soccer) do the players vote/select the Captains and how many do the Coaches select the Captains?

MENESCACFAN

Interesting question, I wouldn't know to be honest.  Would seem to me a combination, players asked for input and coach has final say.  I doubt players get final say anywhere.  What do you think?

D3soccerwatcher

Might there also be some teams who philosophically do not have captains?

MENESCACFAN

Every NESCAC team I have ever watched has a kid shouting while wearing an armband at the very least ;-)

Mr.Right

I believe most teams have players vote for captains at the end of each season. I am sure the coach has final say but you would have to figure that most players and coaches would be on the same page as to who the captain(s) would be. Leaders stand out even if it not the most talented player or liked player in the locker room.

Mr.Right

Quote from: NESCACsoccerguy on June 11, 2015, 07:43:44 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on June 07, 2015, 11:36:29 PM

Midd and Bates get an F...Midd drops Southern Vt for Green Mountain..This is just so BAD and this is your Top team in Nescac for some of these posters..Give me a break.

Bates well is just not even worth talking about...Flaherty likes to pad a couple wins to his resume to give the clueless AD a reason to keep him.

There are some Bates Haters on this website, I think we should shorten the name to Baters. Mr. Right, you are definitely the Master Hater!

Bates keeps the same exact schedule that they went .500 in last year - and the same schedule that Bennett Rank had #1 in the country for SOS. That said - I think Bennett Rank overrates the NESCAC and that contributed to the ranking. Bates finishing with twice as many losses as wins and in the top 100 by Bennett Rank is questionable.

Middlebury wasn't dominant out of conference last year either as they lost a game and drew a game. Wesleyan lost a game and drew two out of conference.. NESCAC schools combined for 11 non conference losses I believe, so is keeping the same/similar schedules that bad? If the out of conference games for 2014 were too easy (given that you say 2015 is and 2014 was similar) shouldn't the NESCAC schools have only a handful of losses and draws in those games? I know the argument is that kids don't get up for midweek games, but it's not as though other schools skip class Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in preparation for a Wednesday night game.

I am not a Bates hater at all  I just am really unimpressed with the way Flaherty went out about getting the Bates job and with the results of his short 4 year tenure.

I do not fall into the camp that argues that Nescac academics play a role into mid-week game letdowns. It is the same for most student athletes. I argue it is just an over confidence that some teams feel that all they need to do is "show up" to win. As far is Midd is concerned by playing 5 teams that will have below .500 SOS and records they will put a lot of pressure on themselves to get results against Nescac top 6 teams. If they go 2-2-2 against the top 6 you can kiss there NCAA at-large chances out the window. Even if they go 6-3-1 in Nescac and 5-0-0 out of conference for a 11-3-1 record there SOS will hover around .550. So they put heavy pressure on themselves to get results against Amherst, Williams, Tufts and Bowdoin. If those 6 nescac wins include Bates, Trinity, Colby and Hamliton they will find themselves on the outside looking in. Where as Tufts and Williams can lose a couple Nescac games and still feel comfortable because there SOS will be around .595-.600 area. They just give themselves more opportunities to get solid wins..

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 25, 2015, 01:31:54 PM
Quote from: NESCACsoccerguy on June 11, 2015, 07:43:44 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on June 07, 2015, 11:36:29 PM

Midd and Bates get an F...Midd drops Southern Vt for Green Mountain..This is just so BAD and this is your Top team in Nescac for some of these posters..Give me a break.

Bates well is just not even worth talking about...Flaherty likes to pad a couple wins to his resume to give the clueless AD a reason to keep him.

There are some Bates Haters on this website, I think we should shorten the name to Baters. Mr. Right, you are definitely the Master Hater!

Bates keeps the same exact schedule that they went .500 in last year - and the same schedule that Bennett Rank had #1 in the country for SOS. That said - I think Bennett Rank overrates the NESCAC and that contributed to the ranking. Bates finishing with twice as many losses as wins and in the top 100 by Bennett Rank is questionable.

Middlebury wasn't dominant out of conference last year either as they lost a game and drew a game. Wesleyan lost a game and drew two out of conference.. NESCAC schools combined for 11 non conference losses I believe, so is keeping the same/similar schedules that bad? If the out of conference games for 2014 were too easy (given that you say 2015 is and 2014 was similar) shouldn't the NESCAC schools have only a handful of losses and draws in those games? I know the argument is that kids don't get up for midweek games, but it's not as though other schools skip class Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in preparation for a Wednesday night game.

I am not a Bates hater at all  I just am really unimpressed with the way Flaherty went out about getting the Bates job ...

Seems to me this has been said before. If you don't have evidence (which we know you don't) and don't have anything new to add, enough with your axe-grinding. We get it, you don't like him. I'm officially saying you can stop saying this unless you have evidence.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Cacstar12

Hi, couple year out nescac player here. Finally bored enough at work to participate. You guys are interesting to read. Your knowledge is based off of stats, some watching games and lapaz. There are some things that go on in the team that you guys don't know. You guys would post some incredibly incorrect things about my team in the pat when I played. Lapaz was way off a lot of the times. I heard he's from williamstown. One of the williams players said he sees him a lot.

Some interesting younger insight on what you guys have talked about recently.

Greenwood-legit.
Conn-joke. Once they get a field that isn't 105 yards they can talk.
Amherst- everyone hates them. Not for being good, but for their style. No one likes them
Williams- very hard to break down,
Tufts- better every year, interesting to see what happens
Trinity- admissions will always be the same there letting in idiots
Middlebury- glazer and Conrad score against week teams, Conrad will grow and crush big teams next year

Forwards- an interesting stat to look at that no one has is amount of games scored in. Grady scored 10 goals, but only one game where he scored more than one goal and it was two. So nine games score in. 0 assists, but he was also playing with a weak williams offense
Conrad- racked them up at times, then disappeared. Not that technical. But as far as a tough nescac center forward goes he is elite. Savonen is a lesser version of Conrad. Hopponot stopped scoring. Washed up.
Player of the year- nico pl. no contest
Colby could pull a tufts and grow in the future.
Defenders- most are all similar. It's who is stronger and can kick the ball further essentially. The first team/second team drama was useless because there was no drop. They were equal for center backs.

Tidbits that people are unaware of
Grady was a nut job. If Russo wasn't older and had more patience he could have crafted him into a real star. I was coaching at a camp as a college player counceler and the coaches all agreed he was a gamble worth taking, but still a gamble. Only know that from the camp and playing against him. If rashid was healthy, and he took whatever meds he took this season williams would have been far better.
Serpone- blindly recruits a lot of players surprisingly. Does not have to discipline players as much.
Santos- didn't really fit in to the tufts system as they grew and was frustrated with the long ball
Bates- Pebo knoth had a lot of options other than bates. Knoth is one of the best players in the league...he just plays for bates.dont know why he chose bates though.
Conn- I always hear conn players in summer league complaining about the coach.
Wesleyan- has off the field discipline problems that are scrapped under the table except for the hazing scandal.
Andrew miesel- made Colby even worse when he was there. Every one of his teammates hated him. But he was skilled.
Bowdoin- went from the final four to a non conference tourney team mainly from the atmosphere Fran brought from what I heard. He lost respect from his players.

MENESCACFAN

Fantastic post CacStar, look forward to your insight.  Would be interested in the best 11 you ever played with and against?

Cacstar12

I don't even want to think about my top 11 I've played with or against in nescac. It will exclude any player who loves the long ball. Aka any Amherst/ starting to be midd player. If Conrad/glazer played in Spain everyone would laugh at them, where as a forward who plays with a team who plays with the ball on the ground would get more respect. They deserve respect because they signed up to play nescac soccer and only Conrad found a way. Wirz from Amherst who spencer noon freaked out about not getting all nescac about, does not deserve it. If he got it, that's basically saying the best nescac can offer is a center back that panicks and punts the ball. Wirz was perfect for nescac. Nothing else. My best center back pairing would be raicjack and Brewster by far. I refuse to debate outside backs, all so similar. Athletic and can run. Center mids are more interesting. I want to say Rory from Wesleyan because he was a huge typical nescac player, but he could play. He could connect passes well and had vision, but Christman from williams did that and was a hard tackler. It's hard to pick the best center mids because they are all different. I'd say the ones that could play were the best. Instead of head the ball or lay it off for another long ball.also the lower teams would have had center mids that had potential, I just didn't see it because their teams would get rocked. So I can't really say.

My main thing, Amherst killed d3 soccer. They decided that finding skilled players wasn't a thing so they butchered the game by bringing in the sucre twins. One of them got drafted and everyone I know would have paid 100$ to watch him train not only with a pro team but even a pdl team. Such a joke, but also such an achievement. What coaching. To transform soccer into a form of wwe wrestling takes skill. Everyone hates Amherst for killing the game of soccer and adding a sense of fairness to it. Their announcing of the lineup was like a basketball team and then they jump against eachother was one thing, but they get the results. If God is a soccer ball. Amherst is a knife. They don't play soccer they found a loophole that everyone is catching onto. Middlebury got Conrad. If Amherst got Conrad, even messiah would bow down. Huge religious rift right there, but still. The smaller fields are better for long ball teams. That's why williams is so good at home (120x80) field.

I hope Colby, tufts, new williams, bates(yes bates, they will suck, but they try and play atleast) decide and counter amhersts trend of putting 6'4+ guys on the field to disrupt things. I respect Grady and knoth for being a center forward and short. More for knoth for having a more fluid career, but we'll see what happens in the end. We've all seen guys don well then fail.

So my best eleven would have more Colby kids. They play.
Bowdoin doesn't have a style, they just adapted.
All interesting for the nescac.

Corazon

Interesting posts, Cacstar. Hope to see more of you.

PaulNewman

Surprise, I'm not as ready to endorse Cacstar as the prior 2 posters.  And I'm frankly surprised at how quickly the poster was so enthusiastically endorsed by I'm sure 2 very bright NESCAC observers, given that the poster seems to throw a lot of detailed, interesting "tidbits" against the wall in a very scatter-shot style where any grievance the poster ever had gets blurted out so suddenly and/or urgently.  Let the negative karma fly, but I suggest reading those posts over again a little more closely, with attention to how personalized (and inappropriate?) some of the comments are, and from a bit more sober perspective rather than as interested observers hungry for any seemingly juicy, provocative info-bites thrown on your plate.  And if a poster like Cacstar is going to play the role of new insider, maybe the readers (and the recipients of the more negative swipes) should be privy to a little more about the poster's affiliations and allegiances (assuming of course that the poster is in fact a new insider and not someone we've heard from before).

MENESCACFAN

NCAC

Simply found interesting perspective someone who has actually been there NCAC, like it or not we haven't.  Not sure why it touches such a nerve with you.

One question Cacstar?  Did you watch Colby last fall?  I love what they achieved and had Seabrook as my coach of the year pick, but your observation on their style is off base.  Not sure even the Colby players and coaches would claim that was true.

PaulNewman

And as an observer who definitely is not a NESCAC insider, I am curious about how the posting regarding the the NESCAC schools seems to trend.  Amherst (without fail and with the most visceral intensity), Conn (or at least their coach), Bates (and at least their coach), and Trinity seem to get the most negativity.  Middlebury seems to trend negative.  Wesleyan is about the same and perhaps trends slightly positively.  Bowdoin is mostly left alone and kind of a neutral sleeper.  The real loves seems to go to Williams (basically without fail), Tufts (now off the charts and perhaps deservedly so), and Colby (the school many seem to pull and hope for the hardest).  And then there's Hamilton who might as well still be in the Liberty League.  So my question for the true insiders -- do Williams, Tufts and Colby deserve to be so beloved compared to the rest of the conference?  And is this soccer-specific love or representative of impressions about the schools in general?

PaulNewman

MENESCACFAN, interesting question.  I had more of a reaction (re:  your hitting nerves reference) to the 2 endorsements than I did Cacstar's posts.  I don't have any strong NESCAC favorites or allegiances, although living in this area and being a huge D3 soccer fan I am interested in the local scene.  Let me be explicit that I have no ties to Amherst to all, and I've seen a thing or 2 from Amherst I didn't particularly like, but that said, the negative attention lopped on them seems a little out-sized.  I'd ask you to re-read Cacstar's 2nd paragraph in his 2nd post.  I'd also suggest that referring to certain players as "nutjobs" and references to medication and similar stuff like that may be just a little off the deep end.