FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seinfeld

Wooster's new football coach is Frank Colaprete from Johns Hopkins, or the "anti-Schmitz." On paper, his resume and accomplishments are about as good as you could expect Wooster to get under the circumstances. Now the next big hurdles will be finding a coaching staff, in particular an offensive coordinator who can develop their young quarterbacks.

http://woosterathletics.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/201301315esbp2

wally_wabash

Looks good to me, not that Wooster's leadership needs my affirmation.  You've nailed it, seinfeld...they've got a new head coach with a new voice and a new direction for the program.  Now they need an OC to get a sufficiently sophisticated scheme in place and they need to do some roster building.  Unless Coach Colaprete's message just falls completely flat and never gets any traction, I think Wooster football has probably bottomed out in 2012. 

Any thoughts on why not the Duerricane?  Too related to Schmitz?  Not quite as seasoned as the other candidates? 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

smedindy

I think it's wise for Wooster to look 'outside the family' if they were serious about rebuilding the tradition.

I've always been skittish about looking for candidates that are already part of the inside system when looking for coaches. Sometimes you need fresh blood and fresh voices. Sure, we knew St. John's was going to pick someone that was associated with that program and no doubt Mt. Union will pick someone whose got ties to Kehres when he retires. However, Wabash has done very well for itself going outside the Wabash network, as it were.

wally_wabash

Quote from: smedindy on January 31, 2013, 10:54:39 AM
I think it's wise for Wooster to look 'outside the family' if they were serious about rebuilding the tradition.

I've always been skittish about looking for candidates that are already part of the inside system when looking for coaches. Sometimes you need fresh blood and fresh voices. Sure, we knew St. John's was going to pick someone that was associated with that program and no doubt Mt. Union will pick someone whose got ties to Kehres when he retires. However, Wabash has done very well for itself going outside the Wabash network, as it were.

Oh I agree entirely.  I think it depends on how strongly you desire continuity.  My guess is that when Larry Kehres decides to hand over his program, he's probably not going to turn it upside down.  They've got a decent track record up there and probably don't want to tinker with the formula too much.  At Wooster, they probably wanted (needed?) a complete reboot. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

smedindy

QuoteThey've got a decent track record up there

Understatement of the infinite universe, there!

wally_wabash

Couldn't help but think back to our conversations in the fall about OWU in the red zone last night while watching the 49ers faceplant over and over and over when they got close to the goal line.  Tough to score when the field gets tiny...tougher when you completely forget that you have the most overwhelmingly physical offensive line in the League and try to get cute with five wides. 

Anyway, just thought I'd share that as it ran through my head last night.  Red zone is tough...even for the pros. 

Raider 68

Quote from: smedindy on January 31, 2013, 11:36:46 AM
QuoteThey've got a decent track record up there

Understatement of the infinite universe, there!

smedindy,

Agree! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

wally_wabash

Alright, back to my all-decade list.  After thinking about it a lot, I think the quarterback choice is Matt Hudson.  Hudson won two Gregory's, was a first teamer in all three of his seasons as a starter, went to playoffs in all three of his seaosns as a starter, and has career numbers that land him second only to Jake Knott in league history.  That's a pretty overwhelming accumulation of accomplishments.  The choice was really hard because I couldn't shake off Russ Harbaugh's 2005 Gagliardi Finalist season.  That season remains, by far, the best season a quarterback has had in Wabash history and probably NCAC history.  It really was about as flawless a season as somebody can have...it was precise, efficient, and downright surgical at times.  In 2005, Russ was playing chess while everybody else in the league was playing checkers.  He really was that far ahead of defenses.  If one single season alone mertis inclusion on an all-decade list, it would have been that one.  Anyway, my list so far for the best of the best in the NCAC from 2004-2013 is:

QB - Matt Hudson, Wabash
RB - Tony Sutton, Wooster
RB - Tristan Murray, Wittenberg
WR - Josh McKee, Wittenberg
WR - Kody Lemond, Wabash
TE - Danny Enright, Oberlin

Up next...offensive linemen where I'm probably going to embarrass myself. 

sigma one

Wally,  I saw all of them play and agree 100%.  And--Lemond missed his senior season with a knee injury sustained in a Wabash scrimmage.   Scary to think that Lemond and Chamblee both missed the same season; Chamblee went down in the first game v. Wooster.  He did come back the next year and led the NCAA in punt return ave., if I recall correctly.  Lemond decided to graduate and get on with his life; he was a physics major.

seinfeld

I find this very surprising. Schmitz had success when he was working with the offensive line at Wooster, but I think his biggest downfall was his work with the quarterbacks and his seeming inability to develop them (the turnover ratio for our QBs seemed to get worse, not better, as their careers went on).

http://www.onusports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20130212vtb50w

Dr. Acula

Quote from: seinfeld on February 12, 2013, 04:03:00 PM
I find this very surprising. Schmitz had success when he was working with the offensive line at Wooster, but I think his biggest downfall was his work with the quarterbacks and his seeming inability to develop them (the turnover ratio for our QBs seemed to get worse, not better, as their careers went on).

http://www.onusports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20130212vtb50w

And ONU needs to develop one since Humphrey is gone after a very solid senior season.  Schmitz will get tested right away without the luxury of a proven starter.

wally_wabash

I don't know.  Holter was fine.  You guys know I think Richard Barnes is outstanding.  I think Schmitz had a problem developing an offense around a quarterback.  He didn't do a great job of putting his guys in a position to be all that successful. 

Bishopleftiesdad

I ran across this while browsing College Confidential.

Lets hope this is not typical recruiting at Kenyon.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/kenyon-college/1309282-kenyons-cruel-mistake.html

1. How can they target a kid who hasn't played since sophomore year.
2. When he did play he did not see the field. (admittedly he may have been behind some real studs)
3. How can they treat him so shabbily.

Pat Coleman

With a new coach they were probably scrambling for numbers and may have overreached.

One particular Catholic midwestern college's baseball coach did the same thing in 1990, when I was applying to colleges. I got a letter from him inviting me to come to campus to meet about playing baseball. I was a fourth outfielder on my high school baseball team, loved the experience, but was never going to be good enough to play in college. It's a running joke in our family. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.