FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadRedFan and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

miac952

Quote from: 57Johnnie on December 06, 2018, 07:00:03 PM
Quote from: miac952 on December 06, 2018, 06:34:14 PM
Quote from: sjujohnnie on December 06, 2018, 04:30:55 PM
Jackson Erdmann was announced as one of four finalists for the Gagliardi Trophy! Congratulations to Jackson & all of the other nominees!

I was curious, so I checked it out. Since it's inception (1993) there has been 1 Jr selected for the award. Burke fro m Mount in 2013. The rest have been Seniors. The J-Club is stingy to underclassmen.
Is this a joke?

I'm missing where my joke was. Just noted the fact that 1 Jr has been selected in the 25 year history of the award. It's an uphill battle for underclassmen. Probably due to the off the field credentials required and reputation one has to build at a level where there isn't much national publicity. The Heisman (very different criteria) was very much like this until the mid 2000's, when a string of Sophomores won the award.

AO

Quote from: DuffMan on December 07, 2018, 08:19:20 AM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on December 06, 2018, 11:04:37 PM
I think Carswell wins it.  Trine's collapse in the first round of the finals puts some doubt in there and Erdmann's strong performance deep into the post-season adds more question, but I still think Carswell.

What's a little unclear to me is how much emphasis is put on football and how much is put on academics, community service, etc.  I think Erdmann has a strong resume (frankly, they all do, as they should), but being a junior probably hinders his chances.  I've been surprised before, though.
Keith just put this on twitter.
Quote"The J-Club has very specifically in recent years instructed us to vote for the best football player and use off-the-field to break ties."

https://twitter.com/D3Keith/status/1070786581185871873

DustySJU

Quote from: DuffMan on December 06, 2018, 07:09:37 PM
I was curious, so I checked it out. Since it's inception (1993) there has been 1 Jr selected for the award. Burke from Mount in 2013. The rest have been Seniors. The J-Club is stingy to underclassmen.

I was curious, too, and here's the Gagliardi Trophy panel.  I see 5 of 39 voters with SJU ties.

I included Austin Murphy since he spent a year with the Johnnies and wrote a book about it.

The A Man's Colgate squad tee's it up against NDSU Bison Saturday at noon.

Sure to be plenty of snot bubbles flying around.

Go Crimson!
The Official Fan Site For St. John's Football - Underground!  www.JohnnieFootball.com

Redtooth

Quote from: DustySJU on December 07, 2018, 12:00:10 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on December 06, 2018, 07:09:37 PM
I was curious, so I checked it out. Since it's inception (1993) there has been 1 Jr selected for the award. Burke from Mount in 2013. The rest have been Seniors. The J-Club is stingy to underclassmen.

I was curious, too, and here's the Gagliardi Trophy panel.  I see 5 of 39 voters with SJU ties.

I included Austin Murphy since he spent a year with the Johnnies and wrote a book about it.

The A Man's Colgate squad tee's it up against NDSU Bison Saturday at noon.

Sure to be plenty of snot bubbles flying around.

Go Crimson!

They will fall woefully short up here tomorrow....The Bison are loaded and won't be tested until next week in the semis....Damn I wish SJU was playing at UWW tomorrow.

stanbob

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on December 07, 2018, 08:29:06 AM
"December 7th 1941, a date which will live in infamy."

As this week the nation paid last tribute to a former President, earlier this year the remains of an uncle of mine (mom's brother) who died at the attack on Pearl Harbor was identified in Hawaii and brought back to Iowa for burial.

https://globegazette.com/news/local/we-don-t-leave-fallen-comrades-behind-hundreds-pay-tribute/article_0cef8c13-8497-52c8-9337-40c2d1d4fbde.html#1

Both the former President and a farm boy from Iowa were given proper respect. My Uncle died on the USS Oklahoma on this date 77 years ago. Obviously I didn't know him, it was decades before I was born. But my mom always talked about him. She is in one of these pictures and looks to be about 15 years old.
Brings a tear to my eye, thank you for sharing this.
Everyday is payday in paradise.

OzJohnnie

As this week the nation paid last tribute to a former President, earlier this year the remains of an uncle of mine (mom's brother) who died at the attack on Pearl Harbor was identified in Hawaii and brought back to Iowa for burial.

https://globegazette.com/news/local/we-don-t-leave-fallen-comrades-behind-hundreds-pay-tribute/article_0cef8c13-8497-52c8-9337-40c2d1d4fbde.html#1

Both the former President and a farm boy from Iowa were given proper respect. My Uncle died on the USS Oklahoma on this date 77 years ago. Obviously I didn't know him, it was decades before I was born. But my mom always talked about him. She is in one of these pictures and looks to be about 15 years old.

When I visited the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor and mentioned the memorial to the Oaklahoma on Ford Island I was surprised when you told me that one of these marble pillars has your uncle’s name on it.  A tough breed, those boys.

[  

CalCat

Quote from: OzJohnnie on December 07, 2018, 07:13:39 PM

When I visited the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor and mentioned the memorial to the Oaklahoma on Ford Island I was surprised when you told me that one of these marble pillars has your uncle's name on it.  A tough breed, those boys.

Yep...."The Greatest Generation "
CalCat

retagent

watching both games. So far Mt looks beatable.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: retagent on December 08, 2018, 04:41:16 PM
watching both games. So far Mt looks beatable.

And it's pretty obvious which team had the game to trouble UMHB.
[  

sfury

Whitewater only needs 398 passing yards in second half to match Johnnies from last week.

BDB

The SJU - UMHB game may have been the best 2 teams from what I've seen today.

retagent

From what I've seen, I have to agree, Johnnies moved the ball very well against UMHB, UWW - not much.. Unless Hopkins is much better than they appeared from their regular season, and they did look good today, Last week had the best two teams in action in Belton.

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on December 08, 2018, 04:55:53 PM
The SJU - UMHB game may have been the best 2 teams from what I've seen today.

Agreed.  Unless UWW picks it up considerably in the 2nd half that would seem to be the case.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

BDB

Seems like we only get to hear Al Groh at this time of year in these playoffs. I love when he does the games.

Edit: but the play by play guy keeps saying Wes-consin which is irritating.