FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HScoach

The HBerg/Mount game brings a ton of intrigue.   Obviously no LK is storyline #1, but you also have HBerg with the OAC's most experienced team and Mount being very young.  Add in Mount's starting TB being a former Student Prince and it should be a fun one.

In regards to the game, even if the Mount O-line isn't ready for prime time when they travel to HBerg, the defense is going to be down right nasty and until Hberg proves that they can handle the defensive pressure that Mount will bring to the line of scrimmage, the advantage on the field is still wearing purple & white.

Where HBerg has the advantage this time around is on the sidelines.   For the first time since I was a young pup, Mount no longer has the clear advantage in coaching.    I have no doubts that VK's defense will be great as always, but the offensive game planning and the ultra important in game adjustments that made LK so great are going to be impossible to duplicate with a 20 something (Dartt?) making is offensive debut.   

I'm very curious to see the offensive plan/play calling this season as they try to figure out what to do.   I think that defensive coaching is more analytical and can be made by hard work, but offensive play calling is an art.  And that is what concerns me.   Often times the ability to call offensive plays is either there or it isn't.  Much like the vision of a RB.   You can work on being bigger/faster/stronger, but the natural field vision needed to be an elite RB is mainly a God given gift.    Regardless of who is calling the shots, hopefully it isn't a repeat of Bruney's offensive play calling.   That offense was offensive.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

PurpleSuit

Quote from: TheBerg40 on June 30, 2013, 07:29:16 PM
Mount Union’s O-line last year was huge and definitely the backbone of that championship team. You would have to think their o-line this year won’t be as strong and it will be interesting to see how that will affect Burke’s play. This is one of the reasons why Heidelberg will overtake the OAC this year…..And davepi2, there is absolutely no way Heidelberg will move that game to the high school.

that's too bad.  Berg's stadium is a joke for a big game.  Better get there early to secure one of the hundreds of seats.

This time last year, was Mount's o-line considered to be such a strength?  I seem to remember most people were nervous about the majority of the offense.   According to most, Mount had questions in the backfield with Burke's inexperience and lack of passing ability and Murray's "issues" and questions on the line.  Mount had two DL moving to the right side of the OL!?!?!  How'd it work out for the rest of the OAC/NCAA last year? Mount will be fine and roll 'Berg as per usual.

HURFMUC

Hscoach
Do you know who the OC is yet?

HScoach

Quote from: TheBerg40 on June 30, 2013, 07:29:16 PM
Mount Union's O-line last year was huge and definitely the backbone of that championship team. You would have to think their o-line this year won't be as strong and it will be interesting to see how that will affect Burke's play. This is one of the reasons why Heidelberg will overtake the OAC this year.....And davepi2, there is absolutely no way Heidelberg will move that game to the high school.

Mount's O-line was actually a question mark heading in '12.    Not as big a hole as this year, but still an uncertainty and definitely not a strength of the team.    It was solid, but not stellar.   Expect this season to be 80-90% of last years group.   The hole in '13 is the receiving corps.  strengths are QB and TB.

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Dr. Acula

Yeah, I thought other than knowing Tate was good there were questions about the 2012 OL.  This season is more questions, but looking at the 2 deep from last year there should at least be kids who have played (including a couple young guys).  I think they'll be solid as usual.

As for WR...is Namdar still working out at WR?  His speed would certainly make for an interesting option on the outside.  But as he showed last year he's more than capable of playing QB as well.  I thought Nicholls and Meacham looked solid in limited roles so hopefully they can step up.  They do need that next stud WR to emerge though. 

QB and TB are definitely the strengths.  Burke/Namdar/Scott is as solid a trio of QB's as I can remember 1-3 and definitely the most athletic (Bruney/Burghardt was as well, but I don't recall the #3).  I really liked Minnich last year so if they can spell Woods with someone who appears to be as talented as Minnich I'm ecstatic about that.  And if Prendergast is inching closer to 100%?  Just another weapon.  But as always...need the big boys to do their job for any of it to work.  Should be fun to watch. 

amonachino

The 2013 Mount football team is going to be right up there as usual.  The offense has had in the past Coach K. not call the plays.  He did  return to it the last couple of years.  I have no doubt the offense line will be as good as last years.  The back ups played very often with the injuries and the 15 games and the wins with the game won.  Since 1996 I have seen wide receivers that were outstanding leave and  the new ones become the ones you do not want to see go.  This is what happens in programs where excellent players come in every year  to have their opportunity to keep the tradition going.  Just like Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, etc.  I really expect the off. to go up a notch or two.  The running game is much better with the possibilities of getting another great running back in the line up.  You know the others that I am looking at. The QB position is major to Mount's success and this is A++++.  The unsettling issue is the leadership from the head coaching position.  It is not a weakness, or a positive.  It has to be looked at, just like the new players have to show they belong.  I have no doubt it will be a smooth transition.   Vince's defenses have been outstanding and when Monty left people thought that was a  weakness.  This team is loaded and hungry with new players who want to earn their rings by making playes in the games.  GO Mount.

PurpleSuit

Quote from: amonachino on July 03, 2013, 12:26:24 PM
Just like Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, etc. 

minus the NCAA recruiting violations

Quote from: amonachino on July 03, 2013, 12:26:24 PM
The unsettling issue is the leadership from the head coaching position.  It is not a weakness, or a positive.  It has to be looked at, just like the new players have to show they belong.  I have no doubt it will be a smooth transition.   

chalk me up as this is a positive.  We can only hope that VK is half the coach LK was.  But I don't think LK was going to turn the job over to VK until LK thought his son was ready.  I trust LK's judgement.  The VK of a couple years ago with the Stagg Bowl outburst is a memory, hopefully.  I think VK's youth is going to allow him to engage recruits in a way that LK was never going to be comfortable with.  We live in a different time in regards to high school seniors.  I think VK can move the program in a way to engage the new kids in a way other than National Championship trophies.   Whether its new jerseys/helmets, twitter, spring ball, recruiting culture, etc I think that VK is a much better fit than LK.  I trust LK's judgement, hopefully Mount stays ahead of the curve in D3 football.  The current environment of D1 is not too far away from hitting our beloved D3.

HScoach

No disrespect to Vince as he's been a great D coordinator and recruiter, but LK retiring is not a positive.  Losing the most successful coach in the history of college football can't be.  I don't know what you've been sniffing, but it can't be legal.

PurpleSuit

He was going to retire at some point.  If LK thinks Vince is ready now, who could disagree.  Better now than two-three years ago,  Burke and Woods and typical Mount D should get Vince off to a nice 30-0 start or so.

TheBerg40

Sorry to burst your bubble....but Vince wont even make it to 10-0.  ;) Go Berg!

bleedpurple

There's something really fun about a Berg fan saying "Sorry to burst your bubble" to a Mount fan.  :)

Let the post-LK era begin!

ohiofan1954

I love the preseason and fans going back and forth as displayed between Mt. and Berg fans here. I love to due the same to Louisville fans saying their national title dreams are going down in flames the first week of the season to my Bobcats.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: TheBerg40 on July 03, 2013, 09:35:04 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble....but Vince wont even make it to 10-0.  ;) Go Berg!

Deep breath, sir. Mount Union has lost one OAC game in about 20 years. When they lose another, then perhaps it's time to start talking like that, ok?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HScoach

^  Oh, let him have his fun.   His favorite team has their best squad in 40+ years and the King has left the keys to the kingdom to the young, untested son.   If he can't be excited about this season's prospects, he never will.

Raider 68

A lot of discussion on this board so far this summer. Everyone is ready for the fall as am I.

A few thoughts:

1. Not having Coach Kehres on the sidelines looms as an opportunity for some teams to step up
    there game. Will the Bergs, BW's and JCU's do it from the OAC. We will soon see if
    that happens.

2. Coach V. Kehres will have the leaning curve on the offensive side of the ball. Defense is
    is his skill and success, but he will have to learn the offense over the next few seasons.

3. Relying on a non-tested OC could really impact the close games, but we see early on, if
    the new coach can make the adjustments that are always required.

4. IMHO, it is unlikely that we will see the Raiders in a different offensive structure much less
    different uniforms etc. under Coach V. Kehres, at least for awhile.

5. The O line will be fine and I agree with HSCoach's assessment.

6. Wide Receiver is the big question, while the defense, QB, RB are solid.

7. The Raiders could have some closer games, but at this point I still believe they will win the OAC
    and advance to the playoffs. From there, many of the other questions will become clear.

8. Recruiting for the fall was great again! :)
13 time Division III National Champions