The Women's Belt

Started by hopefan, February 07, 2011, 10:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Quote from: GuyFormerlyPSBBG on February 07, 2011, 01:40:19 PM
Quote from: sac on February 07, 2011, 01:16:47 PM
Quote from: GuyFormerlyPSBBG on February 07, 2011, 01:09:54 PM
At least the diva belt sees a little more miles than the men's belt.

I really, really have to bite my tongue on this one

haha, I would especially with the posting name you have on here.

;D ;D ;D   +1 Guy formerly....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

kate

I see you're logged in Mr. Turner.  Could you please select another D3 team to follow, as i realize your school is moving to D2 - just a suggestion, so  we can keep reading your excellent posts  :)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: kate on February 07, 2011, 02:02:50 PM
I see you're logged in Mr. Turner.  Could you please select another D3 team to follow, as i realize your school is moving to D2 - just a suggestion, so  we can keep reading your excellent posts  :)
I will continue to follow D3, as a classification.

Thanks

David Collinge

Quote from: kate on February 07, 2011, 02:02:50 PM
I'm looking forward to the recruitment wars.  Ralph, you could get a lot of sweet campus visits and front-row seats for games out of this.  And you could rat out anyone who offers you some wink-wink-nudge-nudge financial aid.  Don't be so quick to dismiss kate's idea!  :D

bearsfan

As a curiosity, did the Diva Belt originate with Millikin winning the championship that year? If not, it is completely feasible that a team could hold the belt and not be the National Champion. For instance, if a belt holder lost a game late in the regular season or playoffs to a team that didn't make the post season. That team could hold the belt through the next season meaning the national champions would never have held the belt. If that is the case, then the true holder of the Diva Belt would only be able to be known if it starts in 1982 with Elizabethtown's victory and follows the path from there.

hopefan

Quote from: bearsfan on February 08, 2011, 01:17:01 PM
As a curiosity, did the Diva Belt originate with Millikin winning the championship that year? If not, it is completely feasible that a team could hold the belt and not be the National Champion. For instance, if a belt holder lost a game late in the regular season or playoffs to a team that didn't make the post season. That team could hold the belt through the next season meaning the national champions would never have held the belt. If that is the case, then the true holder of the Diva Belt would only be able to be known if it starts in 1982 with Elizabethtown's victory and follows the path from there.

Yes, Millikin was the champ the prior year and came into the season with it....with virtually every conference having a conference tourney, there is little chance that the belt holder won't make it in, and therefore the belt will progress to the National champion....But it could happen, particularly if the belt was in the UAA late in the season, and a third or fourth place team got the belt on that last Saturday... and didn't get in the NCAA dance....

One thing did happen - probably more than once.  In the 2009-10 season the belt holder, George Fox, lost to NAIA D1 Lewis-Clark State....  of course, it was announced prior to the game that this was a non-title match, and George Fox retained the Belt....

Ralph Turner

Where The Diva BeltTM resides, and has been, is determined by when the creator of The Diva BeltTM started the competition. 

I just awarded The Diva BeltTM to Trinity as champs of the 2003 season when I chronicled its trip to Abilene.

I agree.  A non-D3 game is a non-title match.

hopefan

Well then, it would seem the Grand Exalted Keeper of the Records needs to track the belt from Trinity (by the way, I was on hand at Rose Hulman to see Trinity be awarded the belt that day in 2003) to Millikin....   will try to have it posted before the weekend

BlueZoneBruin

Quote from: hopefan on February 09, 2011, 12:23:43 PM
Well then, it would seem the Grand Exalted Keeper of the Records needs to track the belt from Trinity (by the way, I was on hand at Rose Hulman to see Trinity be awarded the belt that day in 2003) to Millikin....   will try to have it posted before the weekend

If that's so, perhaps it could change the entire course of the Diva Belt's path. Just as others have suggested, it is possible that it ended the season with a team not in a tournament. Wouldn't that shake up D3HoopLand! Anxious for the new research!

hopefan

Blue Zone Bruin... you nailed it

SERIOUS PROBLEM

the Diva Belt is a tad flawed... by going back to Trinity, wow.. a can of worms....
McMurry beat Trinity to claim the belt on 12/29/03.... it then changed hands 8 times in less than 2 months, going back to McMurry on 2/19/04
on 2/21/04, Sul Ross beat McMurry in the final regular season game, but did not make the ASC tourney.... so the belt went into the 2004-05 season belonging to Sul Ross, not the defending NCAA champ

so in 2004-2005, a repeat performance!!!   the belt never left the ASC, changing hands 8 times to Howard Payne.
On Feb19, 2005,  Texas Lutheran beat Howard Payne in the last regular season game, and Tex Lu did not make the conference tourney!!!.....  Again the belt was done for the year without making the tourney..

So, do we go with the Ralph Turner agenda, starting with Trinity in 2003, working to Texas Lutheran at the end of 2005, and changing the history previously printed.... and keeping the belt in the ASC for who knows how long.... or do we keep with Millikin as the original Diva Belt holder as National Champs of 2004-2005

Perhaps the Trinity belt was simply the Southwest States Championship.... and the National belt did not originate until coming into the 2005-06 season......

This may have to go to the Hall of Fame committee..... I just hope I'm not asked to testify in court.....

hopefan

oh my gosh... could this mean competing factions????

Ralph Turner

You mean that there was a competing organization, with its own BeltTM, creating its own championship, just because we were having fun with The Diva BeltTM in Texas.

This is even more dramatic than having competing Wrastlin' Federations!

Ralph Turner

Maybe the design consultant for the Sul Ross Men's Intercollegiate Rodeo Team attached a silver and turquoise customized Rodeo-style buckle to The Diva BeltTM in the 2004 off-season.

Beautiful...   ;)

ronk

Quote from: hopefan on February 09, 2011, 04:58:03 PM
Blue Zone Bruin... you nailed it

SERIOUS PROBLEM

the Diva Belt is a tad flawed... by going back to Trinity, wow.. a can of worms....
McMurry beat Trinity to claim the belt on 12/29/03.... it then changed hands 8 times in less than 2 months, going back to McMurry on 2/19/04
on 2/21/04, Sul Ross beat McMurry in the final regular season game, but did not make the ASC tourney.... so the belt went into the 2004-05 season belonging to Sul Ross, not the defending NCAA champ

so in 2004-2005, a repeat performance!!!   the belt never left the ASC, changing hands 8 times to Howard Payne.
On Feb19, 2005,  Texas Lutheran beat Howard Payne in the last regular season game, and Tex Lu did not make the conference tourney!!!.....  Again the belt was done for the year without making the tourney..

So, do we go with the Ralph Turner agenda, starting with Trinity in 2003, working to Texas Lutheran at the end of 2005, and changing the history previously printed.... and keeping the belt in the ASC for who knows how long.... or do we keep with Millikin as the original Diva Belt holder as National Champs of 2004-2005

Perhaps the Trinity belt was simply the Southwest States Championship.... and the National belt did not originate until coming into the 2005-06 season......

This may have to go to the Hall of Fame committee..... I just hope I'm not asked to testify in court.....

Hopefan,
  Great work! I love it when the conventional wisdom gets turned on its head. Gives us another thing to discuss.

Ralph Turner

I sure do miss the archives that were accessible on the old website.

I am not sure how to look up the old ASC stuff from back when The Diva BeltTM was traveling Texas back roads, like a Willie Nelson tour bus.