Toughest Place to Play in Your Conference

Started by e_lee, August 22, 2005, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Stephen1452 on September 27, 2005, 10:00:48 AM
I think that in the ASC based on fan noise, the two toughest places to play is at UMHB and HSU.

Which is why the home team in games between the two hasn't won in how many games now?    ;D

11/27/04:  UMHB 42, @HSU 28
10/23/04:  HSU 49, @UMHB 22
11/01/03:  UMHB 35, @HSU 36

11/2/02:  @UMHB 35, HSU 16

Tough places to play, tho ... because the two teams are so good. 

RedmenFB44

Toughest place to play in the CCIW, right now, is for sure Carthage College in Kenosha, Wisc. The Redmen were 11-2 overall last season and finished #5 in the polls.

Home games last season (2004):

Won 52-14 Carroll College
Won 42-0 Benedictine
Won 31-13 Millikin
Won 27-24 North Central
Won 39-21 Wheaton
Won 49-14 Elmhurst

6-0 last season and the big one was #3 ranked Wheaton at the time. This game helped Carthage win its first conference title since 1973.

Home games so far this season (2005):

Won 20-16 Lakeland

Next Carthage plays Augustana at home in Kenosha. Carthage lost to Auggie 35-0 last season @Auggie. Huge game. Kenosha Magic  ;)

GO REDMEN!!!
It's REDMEN not RED MEN

TecmoYellowHat

Toughest place to play is definitely butterfield stadium in Ithaca.  Those ooga booga chants get in your head and it's over!
Go Bombers!

maninorangehat

TYH,

I agree about the Oooga Boogas.  Also, The elevation of Butterfield helps.  The stadium is like a few hundred feet above Cayuga Lake... It's almost like playing at mile high. 

Buah

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: TecmoYellowHat on October 04, 2005, 03:37:52 PM
Toughest place to play is definitely butterfield stadium in Ithaca.  Those ooga booga chants get in your head and it's over!

i would have to agree with that....

DutchFan2004

IIAC

I don't know for sure because I haven't been to all the sites yet.  By the end of the year I will have been.  But so far I'd have to say Wartburg College in Waverly.  The pack a crowd like no other team so far I'd say.  Also in fairness to my Dutch I think we pack a good crowd too.
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

gc_fan

Eureka College in the Illini-Badger conference is a tough environment, the field is actually on a slight hill, students are right behind the back line in one of the endzones and people have been known to have things thrown at them from that area.

Mr. Ypsi

On the other hand, Hiram, Heidelberg, and North Park (lately, the synonyms for BAD in the NCAC, OAC, and CCIW conferences, respectively) would probably beat Eureka AT Eureka.  How tough can it be?  :D

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 11, 2005, 10:21:10 PM
On the other hand, Hiram, Heidelberg, and North Park (lately, the synonyms for BAD in the NCAC, OAC, and CCIW conferences, respectively) would probably beat Eureka AT Eureka. How tough can it be? :D

Need proof? North Park has already beaten Eureka on the Red Devil's home turf this year. (Score: 34-6). But to be fair, North Park is LOTS better than Hiram (which would probably be an even team for Eureka to play), and probably lots better than Heidelberg, too. North Park might not be intimidating to CCIW foes, but thanks to nonconference games, the team does have a winning record.  ;)
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

aufb05

All "fair" aside No.Park has a 80 man roster and gets beat up regularly in the CCIW.

Eureka on the other has a 39 man roster and gets beat up regularly in the IBFC.

But there is no equality here - NPark should beat Eureka on any ground on any day. 

Here's why - NP has a team in a challenging conference and has an opportunity to be better  -  regarless of the conference Eureka can't get better until it fields a team. (by the way, team wise Hiram isn't 't that much ahead of Eureka- interesting match-up)

sthrncwby

Hardest place to play - Alpine, TX.  Its in the middle of no where, an I mean no where.  Look on the map and find Alpine, Texas.  Good Lord.  Also the elevation can get to you, little harder to breath when youre suckin wind.  Its hard to get any form of motivation out there.

Ralph Turner

sthrncwby is right about Alpine from a geographic perspective.

The altitude of Alpine is 4481 feet above sea level and is 180 miles from the nearest airport (Midland-Odessa).  At least you can fly into Colorado Springs.

coocooforcoekohawk

IIAC,

After last week I have to agree with dutchfan that Walston Hoover stadium in Waverly is tough.  It's more of a stadium than a field.
I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends. They're in my head.  I'm so ugly, that's okay, 'cause so are you!

Jim Matson

Football venues have nowhere near the effect on the outcome when compared with basketball venues.  I can't think of any stadium where the opponent would admit to the venue having an effect on the play (OK, maybe Mount Union) - but in hoops, there are many places that can have an effect on a player.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com