Toughest Place to Play in Your Conference

Started by e_lee, August 22, 2005, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: hazzben on December 07, 2010, 01:24:48 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 28, 2010, 01:42:26 PM
Quote from: fat_old_LB on November 05, 2010, 11:21:46 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on October 28, 2010, 09:42:42 PM
Oh yeah, we had to use the pool at Emory & Henry and the weight room at Guilford. I got some D3 stories ...

Baldwin-Wallace seems like an awesome place to play. The sunken-in field surrounded by the concrete walls is like a true stadium. Haven't they fixed the turf up?

I asked Mount about their largest crowds and none had touched 9,000; I wonder if that was only taking home crowds into consideration.
Yes we finally got new turf a few years ago, the new field grass style, and the stadium has been painted over, new track as well its really sharp looking now.  If i can figure out how to post a photo on here Ill do that, or maybe Pat can do that...
In regards to the crowds, I KNOW that in 98 that Mount game at BW, it was standing room only and the stadium seats 8000 according to the stats.  I dont know if they registered a number for that game or not, but it was nearly 10,000 for sure.  there was no room to move anywhere there.  no less than 9,000 at minimum.  I also thought that in 2003 when Mount was ranked #1 and we were ranked #3  i thought they said in the game notes that there was 9400 or so there.  But i dont know how to verify that.

I asked UMU if they'd ever been involved in a game home or away 9,000+ and they said no.

Could be that we somehow got our lines crossed and they meant they only never had a 9,000+ home crowd. But for when I mentioned it in the column this year I did ask.

Well, that might be one small benefit to UMU going on the road in the playoffs. I'd bet a semi-final game at UWW or at SJU would pull in a pretty hefty crowd. Obviously a regular season game would be fun as well, and probably a larger crowd given the free admission for students during regular season games.

Man, the more I think about it, the more it would be fun. UMU @ UWW, regular season showdown. It'd put a lot on the line, the loser would have to win out to ensure the playoffs, but can you imagine what the crowd would be like!?!

It happened in 2002-2003.

MTU won 44-21 and 40-17.  Prior to UWW's climb to national prominence.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Manuel Willocq on December 07, 2010, 01:38:58 PM
Quote from: hazzben on December 07, 2010, 01:24:48 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 28, 2010, 01:42:26 PM
Quote from: fat_old_LB on November 05, 2010, 11:21:46 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on October 28, 2010, 09:42:42 PM
Oh yeah, we had to use the pool at Emory & Henry and the weight room at Guilford. I got some D3 stories ...

Baldwin-Wallace seems like an awesome place to play. The sunken-in field surrounded by the concrete walls is like a true stadium. Haven't they fixed the turf up?

I asked Mount about their largest crowds and none had touched 9,000; I wonder if that was only taking home crowds into consideration.
Yes we finally got new turf a few years ago, the new field grass style, and the stadium has been painted over, new track as well its really sharp looking now.  If i can figure out how to post a photo on here Ill do that, or maybe Pat can do that...
In regards to the crowds, I KNOW that in 98 that Mount game at BW, it was standing room only and the stadium seats 8000 according to the stats.  I dont know if they registered a number for that game or not, but it was nearly 10,000 for sure.  there was no room to move anywhere there.  no less than 9,000 at minimum.  I also thought that in 2003 when Mount was ranked #1 and we were ranked #3  i thought they said in the game notes that there was 9400 or so there.  But i dont know how to verify that.

I asked UMU if they'd ever been involved in a game home or away 9,000+ and they said no.

Could be that we somehow got our lines crossed and they meant they only never had a 9,000+ home crowd. But for when I mentioned it in the column this year I did ask.

Well, that might be one small benefit to UMU going on the road in the playoffs. I'd bet a semi-final game at UWW or at SJU would pull in a pretty hefty crowd. Obviously a regular season game would be fun as well, and probably a larger crowd given the free admission for students during regular season games.

Man, the more I think about it, the more it would be fun. UMU @ UWW, regular season showdown. It'd put a lot on the line, the loser would have to win out to ensure the playoffs, but can you imagine what the crowd would be like!?!

It happened in 2002-2003.

MTU won 44-21 and 40-17.  Prior to UWW's climb to national prominence.

2002  at UWW....4030 attended (largest home game for UWW that year)*
2003  at UMU......4722 attended (largest crowd of the year for UWW..home or away)

If they played now during the regular season the crowd will be about doubled if it was at UWW...but I can't speak for UMU if it was in Alliance.

*the regular-season game at St. Johns was a bit larger

sju56321

After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

K-Mack

I'm sure we could look up the numbers for the recent playoff games at UWW ... my guess would be the best crowd would've been for the 24-21 LaCrosse game

Since they've become a Stagg Bowl team, UWW draws way more ... but in December who wants to sit outside in Wisconsin? Or Ohio? Or Minn.? All the big numbers from those tend to be in Oct.

The big numbers elsewhere (RMC/HSC, Cort/Ith, DeP/Wab) are rivalry games in years both teams are good.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: K-Mack on December 08, 2010, 09:22:04 PM
I'm sure we could look up the numbers for the recent playoff games at UWW ... my guess would be the best crowd would've been for the 24-21 LaCrosse game

Since they've become a Stagg Bowl team, UWW draws way more ... but in December who wants to sit outside in Wisconsin? Or Ohio? Or Minn.? All the big numbers from those tend to be in Oct.

The big numbers elsewhere (RMC/HSC, Cort/Ith, DeP/Wab) are rivalry games in years both teams are good.

very true...unfortunatly whitewater's biggest crowds are always Family Day and Homecoming, which is earlier in the year. Come playoff time students would rather watch the game in their dorms/bars/house where ever it's warm. Plus the games are no longer free for students, not to mention deer season opens up during that time.

It's a shame, during playoff time, UWW may fill up half its stadium. However, I was impressed with the amount of UWW fans at the NCC game...a good portion had to sit on NCC's side, b/c the visitors side filled up so fast.

K-Mack

I went to UW-SP this year; I just hadn't seen them anywhere but Salem for a few years so I decided I needed to go. There were 11,000+, great atmosphere, the (not-so-)new turf, the video board, the championship banner, good crowd enthusiasm. I think one time they all sang neil diamond or something together. Regardless of what you think of the song, that's a good crowd.

plus Forrest Perkins and Berez were in the building.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: K-Mack on December 09, 2010, 09:34:39 PM
I went to UW-SP this year; I just hadn't seen them anywhere but Salem for a few years so I decided I needed to go. There were 11,000+, great atmosphere, the (not-so-)new turf, the video board, the championship banner, good crowd enthusiasm. I think one time they all sang neil diamond or something together. Regardless of what you think of the song, that's a good crowd.

Yea, i was there too, best crowd in WIAC history that day. I listened to the podcast about your visit...great to hear you enjoyed yourself. you picked a great day to come. I think that was homecoming I believe.

We are very lucky to have what many DIII schools don't have. Something that I don't take for granted. We take a lot of critcism for our student population being so large (which has nothing to do with our success), lower tuition/academic standards compared to many DIII schools, generous alumni donations, large stadium. For those reasons, i think The Perk is a very tough place to play in...very intimidating for visiting schools. Especially non-conference teams coming here for the first time. A little overwhelming and distracting to the visiting team (for the reasons you mentioned above).

BoBo

I think the reason everybody sang Sweet Caroline was that the previous stadium attendance record was set in 1970 at the then Warhawk Stadium Dedication concert featuring none other than Neil Diamond!!  ;)

P.S.  It may have been homecoming, I'm not sure.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

K-Mack

Quote from: BoBo on December 10, 2010, 07:32:46 AM

I think the reason everybody sang Sweet Caroline was that the previous stadium attendance record was set in 1970 at the then Warhawk Stadium Dedication concert featuring none other than Neil Diamond!!  ;)

That's a very good detail. That should get into the year in review somehow. Which reminds me ...
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Since this is the all-time repository for stadium atmosphere talk, here are a couple photos that came over Twitter and preceded a little dissussion we had on there today:

@MissLiz31 re: Wabash v. DePauw:
http://instagram.com/p/R-yJY3h2BT/

@BoatsAndHOdgES re: Franklin vs. Hanover(?):
https://twitter.com/BoatsAndHOdgES/status/268713268074405888/photo/1

@LightsOut_96 re: UW-Whitewater:
http://via.me/-6xyxjr4

And one of my tweets in reply:
@D3Keith @LightsOut_96 @BoatsAndHOdgES Some of my favorite #d3fb places: Ithaca (view of lake), St.John's & H-SC (trees/bowl), CoastGuard (on river).

Never hurts to kick this thread up.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Before Hazzben started the best stadiums thread, this had kind of morphed into that thread over time from what it was titled.

Just wanted to make the comment that the stadium photos are awesome. They seem best taken aerial or from the highest perch on the visitor's side 50-yard line, with exceptions for scenery behind the visitor's side like Coast Guard, Redlands, etc.

If your school doesn't have a pic up, bug the SIDs office about it or take a panoramic with your phone next time you're at a game.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take