Who Is running the Grinnell system?

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 24, 2005, 02:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Just Bill on November 20, 2015, 04:18:28 PM
Looks like Greenville has jumped aboard the System train. Woo Woo!

http://www.sliac.org/sports/mbkb/2015-16/teams/greenville?view=gamelog

http://www.greenville.edu/athletics/news/detail.html?id=544b0cae-79de-45bd-bff2-f025baecdd05&title=men-s-basketball-debuts-exciting-offense-falls-150-117

I'll be very interested in seeing how Greenville fares against SLIAC-level teams.  The System can't overcome major talent disparities (IWU's previous points record came in a 2001 tournament game against Grinnell, a 132-91 win), but it can wreak havoc when the talent levels are comparable.

Mr. Ypsi

Still too early to evaluate (they may not yet have the right players for System ball; after all, all except perhaps the freshmen were recruited for 'traditional' ball), but after severe growing pains (they started 1-8 and 2-10), they have now won 4 of the last 5.  It appears that in their first System season they will finish with about the same record they have had in recent years.

Now someone has to arrange a match against Grinnell!  If TWO System teams meet, do they cancel each other out or does the scoreboard explode?! ;D

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 24, 2016, 05:50:32 PM
Still too early to evaluate (they may not yet have the right players for System ball; after all, all except perhaps the freshmen were recruited for 'traditional' ball), but after severe growing pains (they started 1-8 and 2-10), they have now won 4 of the last 5.  It appears that in their first System season they will finish with about the same record they have had in recent years.

Now someone has to arrange a match against Grinnell!  If TWO System teams meet, do they cancel each other out or does the scoreboard explode?! ;D
I think they start shooting 3s from 60 feet like Steph Curry ;D
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on January 24, 2016, 08:00:02 PM

Since I assume neither team has any Steph Curry's on the roster, that should make for the most boring athletic encounter in the history of sports! :o

Mr. Ypsi

Once they learned 'The System', Greenville has now won 7 of their last 8.  They'll probably still finish within the range of their last decade's finishes, but who knows what next year might hold (unless the SLIAC's other teams have figured them out).

Anyone tracking who besides Grinnell and Greenville (men) and NCC (women) is still running 'The System'?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 24, 2016, 09:05:39 PM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on January 24, 2016, 08:00:02 PM

Since I assume neither team has any Steph Curry's on the roster, that should make for the most boring athletic encounter in the history of sports! :o

On the contrary, I think that the pursuit of long rebounds after missed treys is one of the more exciting aspects of a basketball game. It's part speed, part effort, part guesswork -- and frequent collisions.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jaybird44

hopefan

I don't know if they were running the system, but SOMETHING was going on down in Texas last night

University of the Ozarks    114    Concordia (Texas)    144    Final

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hopefan on February 09, 2016, 09:48:20 PM
I don't know if they were running the system, but SOMETHING was going on down in Texas last night

University of the Ozarks    114    Concordia (Texas)    144    Final

Not at all a system boxscore, but 12-18 from three from one guy, off the bench?  Pretty good.  Donovan Ford's 51 points wasn't even the best performance in the game - Josh Berard from Ozarks scored 60, including 21-25 from the FT line.

Crazy.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Mr. Ypsi

Greenville seems to be quick learners!  They have now won 11 of their last 12 games, and will host the SLIAC tourney.

It will be interesting to see the interplay of them recruiting players for The System vs. rival coaches/teams learning how to play against The System.

This MAY be their best SLIAC season ever (I couldn't find very good records on either their website or SLIAC.org).  They won a regular season title back in 1995-96, and a tourney title in 1998 (as a 5th seed), but I couldn't find any season records prior to this website's 2006-7 - this will certainly be their best season (both SLIAC and overall) during that time.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We interviewed Coach Barber the other night on Hoopsville... it was one of the more enjoyable interviews we have had. Feel free to go back and give it a listen: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/feb14

Enjoy!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

RogK

For those of you interested in the "System" there's an NAIA game coming up in about 20 minutes:
http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27900&ATCLID=210433591
opening round of their D2 WBB tourney, Olivet Naz vs IU-East.
- - - correction : never mind -- not a free webcast

jaybird44

I'm not sure if it is exactly the Grinnell "system" being run this season by Rhodes, but the Lynx are running a hyperspeed offense.  The Rhodes basketball website featured a story about the new tactics, with the writer calling it a "fun and gun" offense.  But if it runs like Grinnell and scores like Grinnell...

In the first 3 games of the season, Mike DeGeorge has his Lynx scoring at a clip of 121 ppg (124, 116, 123 points).  Opponents are averaging 114.3 ppg.  Rhodes is 1st in D3 in assists/game (26.7), and tied for 4th in made 3s/game (14.0).  Rhodes is averaging 39.7 baskets per game (practically one per minute), and 88.7 field-goal attempts per game (2.2 shots per minute).  Rhodes has taken 90 and 91 shots from the floor in its last two games.  The Lynx also shot an amazing 16 for 57 from beyond the arc, in an OT loss to ETBU.  So far, Rhodes is 2-1 this season with the new offense.  Rhodes has also taken the top spot in D3, forcing 33 turnovers/game from its opponents. 

I will get a chance to see and call a couple of games involving Rhodes in the upcoming weekend, as it plays in the Lopata Classic at Washington University.  I do have a bit of practice so far in the early season regarding high scoring games--Chicago outscored Hanover 113-83 in a final round game of the McWilliams Classic women's basketball tournament last weekend. 

Rhodes could break the scoring records of the Lopata Classic, held by Babson (118 points vs. WashU in 1997--and 217 points in two games in '97).  It will be fun to see if Rhodes can impose that offensive will on their two games in St. Louis next weekend...

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I checked out the boxscores - they are definitely not running the Grinnell system; they're just going uptempo.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jaybird44

Having not seen Grinnell in person, what does it do differently than a team that also runs an uptempo offense?